• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any one changed their seeding plans from last report we did.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has any one changed their seeding plans from last report we did.

Funny thing we keep going over the numbers and over the numbers and its actually sad. To make money in 2018 with the prices were getting and forward pricing you almost actually need 40 bushel wheat and 35 canola to pay all the bills.

Now before we were looking at the 800 peas. Could get 6.50 for fall now. So basically a 45 bushel crop.

Barley if it doesn't go malt or even if it goes malt will be in the 3.75 to 4.50 range or just above. You need 65 malt or 77 feed to cover costs.

Oats im worried will be wall to wall because a cheap crop to grow and if you get the magic 100 its at least pays the bills. Costs way less to grow.

We have no luck with flax or mustard or chickpea or lentils so not even doing math on them.

So what seems to work.

Well if its good moisture seeding won't be a problem, but if its piss showers and windy the rows could dry out by time you get to the end of the mile strip. Piss poor germination and then once its sucks tough to get it back. No second chances in Canada.

Every one has to admit it wasn't varieties or superior breeding and fert and fungicides etc that grew last years crop. it was years of rain and a cooler nights hot days summer. Roots grew down and produced a crop for some great tot excellent for others great to good to ok to poor.

What handles drought better.

Wheat i guess is a good one the roots go down if something to go down to.

Canola if it gets established maybe with a few lucky rains could do ok.

Peas and lentils and soy need rain to start.

Oats is later seeded maybe weather pattern changes.

Barley needs moisture, we had one year back in the 80s where it started grew ok then at heading hit a wall of heat and never really did push the head out of the boot. Yea not a big yielder.

Yes things could change but the map shows snow run off to date. Not a real good feeling even if its still early.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	snowdepth.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	777864

The NE and above the valley has snow or has had moisture since fall, but that sure is a huge area of dry.

So with 90 days till seeding starts on our farm it looks like, Half canola and half wheat for best chance at a profit. Swing acres are 500 barley and 500 peas. These will be cleaned and we won't make that decision till end of April or even up to go date.

This is serious and should be discussed its not a great start and we need a lot of moisture to replenish what was used last summer. One snow dump won't get it back and if nothing happens till june i think some areas are done for 2018.

Its still early but these maps suck.

What are others thinking or planning. Will some SMF or Chem Fallow or will guys seed for Crop insurance hoping it starts to grow so its established and then it can die.

Now lets throw in the fog/90 day scenario and it has end of April wet or rainy. for some. We had fog warming up till 7:30 Am.

But i know one thing i can trim on our budget with seed treatment and hail insurance and wages and fungicides some 30 dollars a acre if i had to if it doesn't rain in spring. Fert would also be cut back a lot.

Again any ideas from any one.

What looks good what works what doesn't and maybe what you guys will try or will do.

Comment

Keep fertility at 70-75% at seeding and top dress only if moisture returns .
      I will and have grown an average crop at 75% , with low moisture and or low rainfall that’s all the crop will need.
      A long way till spring , a lot can change , but our fertility will not .
      We have some snow cover here but it is minimal.
      Not going to change crops yet.

Comment

Used to be a family story about grandfather who gave up hope in one of the dry springs of 1930's.
        He did not seed much crop and regretted it later when rains came.
        Think lack of farmer confidence in ability to produce is one reason for government supported risk management programs like crop insurance and Agristability.
        Whole economy suffers from production shortfall, we should not feel badly about taking advantage of them in the way they are intended to work.

Comment

Waiting on crop insurance coverages and premiums before i decide.......for the second time in 18 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Daylate View Post
            Waiting on crop insurance coverages and premiums before i decide.......for the second time in 18 years.
            When is that available, We're not in it.

Comment

Interesting topic so I thought I should ask ....when seeds fall down 3 foot deep cracks a few inches wide do they still germinate....

Better yet when the moisture comes can it stay on the root zone very long...

Thanks

The dumb****led farmer.

Comment

Walked across a couple of fields in past few days. One was winter wheat past year with fall banded urea. Moderate sized cracks where snow blew off, think they are a sign of carryover and September moisture.
                Second field was canola stubble where we seeded winter wheat, could not see cracks, fairly good germination and establishment but suspect reserve moisture is substantially less than winter wheat stubble.

Comment

Those cracks might germinate at three feet down but I think the vigor wwoild hve to be great no excellent to make it out.

It’s dry and still me farming now haven’t seen dry like we had in the 80s or earlier.

Comment

more peas !! more wheat , less canola, never follow the herd , lol

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                      When is that available, We're not in it.
                      Need to chose /be in by March 30. Will be expensive to GET in. We are at 50% discount for years.

Comment

It's kinda white here.... not much snow at all. The stubble isn't full and it wasn't even tall from last year's poor crop.

Too early to say what will and won't be seeded. Hard to make concrete plans under the circumstances.

Parent went to Midale and said there was no snow there..... but what's here could just as well be called "none" either.

101, do you have some "current" satellite imagery to post?
                        Last edited by farmaholic; Jan 24, 2018, 14:07.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                          Getting rid of monsanto, bayer and sask crop insurance !

That’s a 100 hundred an acre rite there !
                          LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE.....Think about it.

Comment

Yes the Patten should be over after three years then seed treat your own seed. Fungicide and seed treatment and you could shave easily 100 off our costs.

But no in North America we give them everything and get screwed as they all join up to screw us.

If you don’t think that you have never seen bad years and are living in la la land.

One good crop again and we’ll sell nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              It's kinda white here.... not much snow at all. The stubble isn't full and it wasn't even tall from last year's poor crop.

Too early to say what will and won't be seeded. Hard to make concrete plans under the circumstances.

Parent went to Midale and said there was no snow there..... but what's here could just as well be called "none" either.

101, do you have some "current" satellite imagery to post?
                              Nope sorry, away from desktop. But basically a huge swath of the Palliser triangle is snow free

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...