• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any one changed their seeding plans from last report we did.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But let’s pay more 100 a acre rent and pump more into this crop and bet everything on black.

Vegas has better odds

Comment

I pray it were so simple. But for some it is not.
      At least for now and the forseeable future, there are those of us who have to buy a certain level of nutrients.
      Then, kill the weeds and manage disease with some damn thing or another. Seems all chem replacement techniques still need cash.
      Crop insurance for some of us, is a necessary, at times useful, tool.
      So ya, I'll join the wiserhood when I own free and clear, enough land to be a proper multiple of scale.
      And when machinery and labor somehow become free. Maybe the organic fairy can pay my mortgage and cost of living all in one fell swoop with zero risk or cashflow stoppage.
      And thank you for reminding us that renting land is the stupidest *** thing you could ever do.
      Although I may agree with you, I don't need reminding. At least my career is nearer its end than beginning so I can cease doing everything wrong. Congratulations to those who made a fortune conventionally, and can now claim to do it differently. Better yet to those able to buy all the necessary land required a generation ago and to whom now, owe their genius to inflation.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
        Better yet to those able to buy all the necessary land required a generation ago and to whom now, owe their genius to inflation.
        Good ****in thing inflation did what it did....I know some guys who had to pay for their land twice!

Comment

Ok I’ll say it again my grand father broke and purchased 4 quarters, my dad took That to 10 and we took the ten to what we have but I can’t see my sons taking it 120.

It’s was timing and most thought I was nuts, especially a few bankers.

But I still say if I was 35 I would be moving to Argentina now.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
            Ok I’ll say it again my grand father broke and purchased 4 quarters, my dad took That to 10 and we took the ten to what we have but I can’t see my sons taking it 120.

It’s was timing and most thought I was nuts, especially a few bankers.

But I still say if I was 35 I would be moving to Argentina now.
            If you were 35, would you be buying land NOW?!?!?!?¿

Comment

Not in canada I would be selling and moving, learn new language. More chance to actually get ahead canada is been left behind with mindless laws and carbon tax etc.

Comment

I've seen guys invest millions based on govt programs, then the govt changes the program or there's a new govt and it's a whole new ball game. Happens every 4 years or less

Comment

I agree, it is difficult to pencil profitability. I am looking hard at all of our expenses.

Comment

Twice agristability told me i use to much diesel fuel. Still havent figured out how to cut out that one.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                      Twice agristability told me i use to much diesel fuel. Still havent figured out how to cut out that one.
                      You run John Deere ??

Comment

Did get a check once for the 2004 frost year when it froze for over 5 hours the first week of august in 2005 only to have them redo some calculation and boom i had to write a check for the same amount back to them in 2012.

Never got any thing and those who were farming in 2002 and 2004 know it sucked really bad.

Comment

Have heard of other experiences with both crop insurance and Agristability where growers held low grade production over into following years and were able to mix it off.
                          Seems to be part of the moral hazard associated with programs of this type.
                          Do not have any good answers.

Comment

Will be the year to put on max crop ins and minimal inputs. This is my plan but it may change if the weather does.

Comment

Originally posted by sofa.king View Post
                              Will be the year to put on max crop ins and minimal inputs. This is my plan but it may change if the weather does.
                              Farming the program and not the land...

Comment

What do others think, whether there is anything wrong with farming a program?
                                If enough of us do it, the program gets changed.
                                Not only government programs but sales programs, conservation programs, etc.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...