• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

land auction today

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
    Yeah and that's you klause spouting BS and claiming it as fact. The quarters sold in the opening post weren't making $100k but we can always resort to Agriville's coffee row to prove that "some" land is making hugely more and call that average when it clearly isn't. I don't know why you are arguing this anyway as my point was that English land prices are many, many times what those on the prairies are and that will continue to draw new land buyers to Canada. You decided to make it a p###^%# match about which country had seen the biggest increase in land values which is irrelevant to the discussion.

Wtf. I think I know what the land I paid for went for... And the land I tried to buy...

But no I'm sure you know all that info better than I do too.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard5 View Post
      Klaus, you must have been hit hard with capital gains reporting and alternative tax. Or did you buy in the same year in Sask and use replacement rules. Alternative tax is a big thing with sale of farmland and partnerships now

We bought the same year. So taxes weren't bad for us. My mom ended up with a bit of a tax bill even after using her capital gains allowance.

Comment

This thread just really depresses me. Land for under $1000 per acre! Pasture lease land goes for more than that here, has for years. Even pure moose pasture is much more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
          High point of insanity was the rycroft land sold on the 13th, poor grain slash cow dirt, sold up to 420000. I know i live there.
          Really, that is as good as land as there is in the Peace. The guy who bought it had been renting it and farming it for some time. Many big crops have been pulled off that land.

He took the best qtrs out of the package first and then bought all but 3 for an avg of 2300/cult acre which is a new high for the area where the appraisals were in the 1600 to 1700/acre range a year ago.

Very little land trading in the area and that was the first package of good land in one block for some time.

All within 5 miles of three major grain terminals.

The owner had similar offers to what he got at auction but word was he was holding out for 3000/acre. He got less after commission had he taken the direct offers in the fall when he was trying to sell it.

I think we are at peak or passed and would expect a soft correction based on margin squeeze due to higher costs.

Comment

|I know the seller and renters, no not the best land in the peace, it was cow ground for years,of course the best sold first, the best land in the peace is around the old mission, dirt like the ukraine, my land starts 2 miles from the terminals and it isnt great, people dont realize how fast the dirt will change here. Some of mine changes of blue gumbo to peatmoss in feet.

Comment

Anyone planning to go broke fast buy land by me and listen to agronimists instead of the guy across the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                |I know the seller and renters, no not the best land in the peace, it was cow ground for years,of course the best sold first, the best land in the peace is around the old mission, dirt like the ukraine, my land starts 2 miles from the terminals and it isnt great, people dont realize how fast the dirt will change here. Some of mine changes of blue gumbo to peatmoss in feet.

Interesting! Always wondered what the ground was like at Peace River. There were a bunch of French farmers who headed up there from our area in the 60’s, haven’t heard from them since. Either they flourished or perished.

Comment

The french came early and got the best of the best, the first land farmed here was treeless, where i am at the homesteaders came not to farm but log, then the fires came, i have a farm now my dad in 43 walked in ashes half way up rubber boots, topsoil all burnt. We are talking a 20 mile circle.

Comment

The old french here are the most aggressive people you will find, the ones left are sf3 clones, good dirt old dirt and not looking back. My dad worked with one in the 50s and he said if not for the catholic nuns he would have left high school not knowing a word of english, can you imagine a half hour drive and you cant ask for directions.

Comment

My previous post is about the falher country, good hour to east, for me its like driving from heaven to hell in reverse.

Comment

A mate of mine bought this for $230 per acre.

Is hoping to run 1500 ewes on it and some cropping

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-cropping-sa-wanbi-7914602

Comment

ps is about 70 kms from me less rainfall not as poorer soil and less relaible rainfall

Comment

A german swiss showed up in 80s with lots of old cash, said he didnt understand we are we not all rich, he still isnt.
                            Last edited by makar; Apr 21, 2018, 16:20.

Comment

heres another further up the road

please note 10,000 acres scrub or forest..less rain than above property but the guy runs it has done well

https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/property/1-griffiths-road-alawoona-sa-5311-2013217940

Comment

The two farmers who bid up that land near Rycroft and bought it at the price they did was because of the success they have had growing crops.

It would have still sold strong to other local producers had it not gone for what it did.

Both farms have financed growth through excellent production.

Yes the land in the area is variable, and most certainly some is worth considerably more than others.

But I like the narrative you are pitching will help keep the speculators out of our area.

Mind you has not seemed to stop colony expansion.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...