• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone see farming moving in this future direction? Smaller robots seeding?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone else notice how folks can’t seem to drive straight anymore on that opening round when they are free handing it? Is that just the younger guys or has everyone lost that ability?

Comment

When your one big unit goes down due to (input cause), wouldn't you appreciate 15 of your 16 bots continuing to function.

Love the concept.

Comment

Building the machines is the easy part, servos, sensors, actuators, ect are cheap.

The challenge is the programming and debugging. Farms will need electro/mechanical engineering skills to reprogram, debug, fix, maintain, repair, etc

I don’t know 1farmer that has these skills, except Klause who is likely capable.

It seems on our equipment today our failures are not mechanical but sensor/electrical.

Comment

Right so lets add thousands more fail points, the repair man job will be the one to have.

Comment

A city full of brown pudding and your six year old would have them back operational in minutes. Right biglentil!

Comment

God help us when we've automated all but the engineering of robots. Even then, who's to say AI can't engineer a better robot than we can.

One day, long after the last of us who are able to think for ourselves are 6ft under, the machines will fail to get up for work one day because, (insert cause, malicious or natural). Just like a house pet, our first indication of trouble will be that our kibbles dish doesn't seem to be refilling itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Rareearth View Post
                Building the machines is the easy part, servos, sensors, actuators, ect are cheap.

The challenge is the programming and debugging. Farms will need electro/mechanical engineering skills to reprogram, debug, fix, maintain, repair, etc

I don’t know 1farmer that has these skills, except Klause who is likely capable.

It seems on our equipment today our failures are not mechanical but sensor/electrical.
                You need to get out more and meet some new people.

The road will be very long. Weed resistance to chemistry will accelerate the process, but there are HUGE technical challenges. Has anyone seen a video of Dot seeding or even rolling this year? Nothing new on twitter or Facebook.

I've done bout 800 autonomous rolling acres this year so far with 3k total to do with AgOpen, learned tonnes, but it's the tiny bit of interaction that I just can't seem to get around. It is pretty neat to just sit there and watch movies while the tractor just goes back and forth perfectly doing the work even if it is just for 99.9 % of the time. Oh that last .1

Liability is the other huge issue. Manufacturers won't even allow auto steer to auto re engage, let alone machines running around on their own.

Individual farmers like myself are doing a lot, and there are quite a few of us.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...