• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some insight on price of parts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This shows all that’s going on in Ag today - across the board . The primary producer is getting hosed sooooooo bad ...

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      About the only thing you'll need to know before buying at princess auto is if your original is continuous or intermittent duty. Most of the solenoids you will find at Princess Auto, and auto parts places are for starters and will burn out fast on continuous duty such as accessories on a tractor.
      AF5, thank you the insight. This is where I was leading to. I don’t know that much about electrical so I was wondering why such a contrast in prices.
      This is from an antique Massey Ferguson 4880 tractor. This particular solenoid is listed as “starter relay” in the parts book. It is situated at the firewall drivers side. A hot wire goes to this one from the starter.

The continuous duty solenoid that supplies the cab with a/c fan, radio, accessories is a different one, tucked in a fender well above the tires on the LHS. They may both be continuous duty.
      The only physical difference I notice is the princess auto solenoid has a metal body and the AGco solenoid has a plastic composite body.

Comment

I assume that the princess auto solenoid is now installed on the 4880 and that it is purring like a kitten now? Sometimes off brand stuff works and other times it don't so let us know how the repair went. Nothing wrong with a 4880.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
          I assume that the princess auto solenoid is now installed on the 4880 and that it is purring like a kitten now? Sometimes off brand stuff works and other times it don't so let us know how the repair went. Nothing wrong with a 4880.
          Not installed yet. I will update.
          So far the 4880s and 4840 have provided good service considering the hours on them. They need some repairs for sure but when I look at the financing costs of a newer repectable equivalent, I run to the city and buy an air ride seat and get some new hoses made. They are not the prettiest tractors in the hood but I dont farm that much and it is guaranteed they will sit in a shed depreciating for 6 months a year.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbyfrmr View Post
            Not installed yet. I will update.
            So far the 4880s and 4840 have provided good service considering the hours on them. They need some repairs for sure but when I look at the financing costs of a newer repectable equivalent, I run to the city and buy an air ride seat and get some new hoses made. They are not the prettiest tractors in the hood but I dont farm that much and it is guaranteed they will sit in a shed depreciating for 6 months a year.
            Hey Hobby Farmer, how is seeding going? Wheat is in here, and should complete oats and plow-down seeding this week if we can keep the wheels on everything. About ready to start harrowing the early seeded wheat. No barley or flax this year, and I am not complaining!!

Comment

Originally posted by pourfarmer View Post
              Hey Hobby Farmer, how is seeding going? Wheat is in here, and should complete oats and plow-down seeding this week if we can keep the wheels on everything. About ready to start harrowing the early seeded wheat. No barley or flax this year, and I am not complaining!!
              Its going well . 1/2 done. Sorta kinda late but then realized its ok when a neighbor was buying decis for flea beetles in his canola . It reminded me of what I used to do and the angst in decisions to “protect your investment”.

Comment

They are not the prettiest tractors in the hood but I dont farm that much and it is guaranteed they will sit in a shed depreciating for 6 months a year.
                I would respectfully disagree with that statement. 4 wheel drive tractors just continue to get uglier with each new series.

Comment

Here is the update. The Pricess Auto solenoid was a regular style, did not work. I begrudgingly coughed up the $100.00!for the AgCo solenoid. I asked if it was a continuous duty and parts person said the description on the computer says “starter solenoid”. Fair enough, lesson learned. I will buy one from Amazon for $22.00 and try to replace on another 4880.

AF5, it is surprising how much farming can be accomplished by the old Deere Versatile MF Ford NH and Case Steger tractors. Some have 9000-15000 hourrs on them with some repairs for sure. I am on the outside loooking in and my observation is that when the new tractors fail or throw a code, it wont drive 100 feet without requiring a service call. We are paying more than ever before to become dependants.

I bought a MF 4880 that was pulling a 66ft seed hawk with 2 fans. Previous owners had set it up. It works well for my stuff. Im not sure I would have the skill to set it up but a person could pay to have it done. .

Comment

We got some 4020's that see limited use...one with a loader used for the swing auger and other odds and ends and one with a Degelman blade for snow.....neither are comfortable. Also a 4440 limited use....at least it's comfortable. Still have two old three tonnes in good mechanical shape that see some use at seeding. Cost of repairs on the tractors has taken away the good part of having some old equipment around.

Parts are nuts

Comment

Here is the update. The Pricess Auto solenoid was a regular style, did not work. I begrudgingly coughed up the $100.00!for the AgCo solenoid. I asked if it was a continuous duty and parts person said the description on the computer says “starter solenoid”. Fair enough, lesson learned. I will buy one from Amazon for $22.00 and try to replace on another 4880.

AF5, it is surprising how much farming can be accomplished by the old Deere Versatile MF Ford NH and Case Steger tractors. Some have 9000-15000 hourrs on them with some repairs for sure. I am on the outside loooking in and my observation is that when the new tractors fail or throw a code, it wont drive 100 feet without requiring a service call. We are paying more than ever before to become dependants.

I bought a MF 4880 that was pulling a 66ft seed hawk with 2 fans. Previous owners had set it up. It works well for my stuff. Im not sure I would have the skill to set it up but a person could pay to have it done. .
                      I have one piece of equipment about to hit 30,000 hours. Main field tractor just turned 40 years old. Main feeding tractor is over 50 Years old, had 8000 hours when the tach quit 30 years ago.

I have nothing against technology, I understand it, and with the right tools, can diagnose it. But I am against having to buy proprietary sensors and actuators at absurd prices when something does go wrong, and being unable to find a work around easily.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        I have one piece of equipment about to hit 30,000 hours. Main field tractor just turned 40 years old. Main feeding tractor is over 50 Years old, had 8000 hours when the tach quit 30 years ago.

I have nothing against technology, I understand it, and with the right tools, can diagnose it. But I am against having to buy proprietary sensors and actuators at absurd prices when something does go wrong, and being unable to find a work around easily.
                        I can barely understand a continuous duty solenoid🙂

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...