• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roller height for swathing ripe canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roller height for swathing ripe canola

We usually swath canola on the late side with a little bit of roller pressure. I know it is shelling some. What are others doing?

when not pushing on the swath, our roller on the outsides is about 4 inches off the ground. we stuff it. and we swath late.

Comment

Originally posted by crusher View Post
      We usually swath canola on the late side with a little bit of roller pressure. I know it is shelling some. What are others doing?
      Go at night when its dewy or when its drizzling rain...like its always that easy. Over ripe canola doesn't make a nice compact swath at the best of times...and can be tough feeding through some swather openings.

Comment

I'm with farma, swath at night or basically when humidity is highest. One of my neighbors actually modified his swath roller so that the drum was ground driven to match his forward speed. Therefore it wasn't friction with the canola that gave the roller it's momentum, so result is a bit gentler as the roller tucks in the swath.

Comment

Finished a quarter of supposed straight cut rr canola which would’ve been shelled out by time it was ready to straight cut. Went on the dew and it didn’t shell bad but in heat of day would have been different. Now on different variety with heavier stand and it’s definitely not shelling much. Have Vern’s canola roller on a 25’ macdon and go like a ****d ape with the reel teeth tickling it going west trying to cut just below the crotch but no lower or it bunches. Going east cut a bit lower so reel can gather it better. I slow reel and d****rs down as much as I can to match travel speed. Canola roller not too fast neither. Helps to avoid some shelling.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...