• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making New Land

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
    Need to make a trip to La Crete sometime. Relations up there say it’s something else. Just don’t get any dental work done there😀
    Ok ok I gotta hear this story!!!! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
      Ok ok I gotta hear this story!!!! LOL
      You bet sir. There was this lady doing dental work out of her mobile home. Unlicensed of course. Alberta health got tipped off and shut her down. Sounded disgusting from this government stop order.
      https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/assets/wf/eph/wf-eph-nor-Home-Based-Dental-Operation-10801-101-Avenue-La-Crete-November-13-2015-A.pdf

Comment

Our family has been clearing trees in the area since the early eighties when my dad and his friend bought a D6C together. Did a lot of our own stuff and lots for neighbors to bring in some cash during the winter. Finally upgraded to an 8n in March which was way overdue and still have about 400 acres of our own to do yet. Poplars are a weed up here and you need to control them or else in ten years they’re big enough you need to push them with a dozer again.

I’m standing beside the fence in this picture and the left side was in hay till ten years ago and is now in pasture. They’ve crept about 50’ into the field already.

Now that land is becoming pricey and almost impossible to find it pencils out good for clearing.

This was March 22.

This is today in the same spot. The frosted oats that are probably high in nitrates with too much mud under them to put the cows in still looks better than a year ago. Just got to burn the piles this winter and next year probably seed to alfalfa pasture for a few years to let the roots rot down and it’ll be a great field. Interesting to see how others do it a half a world away.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
          Case

"I think the point he is trying to. make is that they are trying to adress problems in Ag ? "

How so, I know you follow commodity prices. More production, driving world prices down. Will Argentina's farmers be paid with the 50 BILLION borrowed from the IMF?
          Not talkin money , talking infrastructue . Cant even fix a ****ing old bridge here without a 2 year half mil study

Comment

Thank you Klause for exposing me to the outside world. For its the only way to see ours clearly.
            Keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              Not talkin money , talking infrastructue . Cant even fix a ****ing old bridge here without a 2 year half mil study
              The RM of Clayton knows how to design bridges but you can’t study an “act of God”. 😂

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                I don't know of any specific "project" up there. But know some organic farmers from that exact area. They clear new land, it is certified organic immediately, nearly all of their neighbors are organic as well, so no issues with setbacks or contamination. Growing high value crops including hemp, buyers pay freight, something about that climate makes for very high quality that buyers can't get enough of, and making very good money.
                The project I was referring to was when the AB Government decided to sell off about 850 quarters of bush. I know someone in the area well and he reckoned it was crazy. There is a great little micro-climate area close to the river there but as the clearing got further away from that it was getting into areas without the benefit of this little micro-climate pocket. The area is crazily dry - very short of moisture for multiple years in the last decade from what I understand. As someone said it's a long way from markets - a long ways from anything in fact - but it's real close to the permafrost lol.

Comment

I have a old D7E and I really like making new land with it and would sure like to upgrade to something like what Woodland has if I could find a good one at a good price. I have about 80 ac I could find with one.

Two of the top jobs of a farmer Making babies and making new land!

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    The project I was referring to was when the AB Government decided to sell off about 850 quarters of bush. I know someone in the area well and he reckoned it was crazy. There is a great little micro-climate area close to the river there but as the clearing got further away from that it was getting into areas without the benefit of this little micro-climate pocket. The area is crazily dry - very short of moisture for multiple years in the last decade from what I understand. As someone said it's a long way from markets - a long ways from anything in fact - but it's real close to the permafrost lol.
                    Well, I won't tell the successful farmers up there that their project has been a disaster, or that they don't get enough rain to farm, if you don't.

Comment

Speaking of Russia, here is what their vision of ag has done over the last 20 years.

http://www.pravdareport.com/business/companies/30-10-2017/139062-russia_economy-0/ http://www.pravdareport.com/business/companies/30-10-2017/139062-russia_economy-0/

Increased production by 35 mil tonnes.
                      Was the world's largest exporter of wheat in 2016.

I guess they had to do something when their source of free, or almost free, wheat was drying up as the CWB was going out of business!! LOL

Somebody want to explain why other countries could grow their ag like that when the useless CWB was sitting on their asses.
                      With those idiots disguised as university professors producing endless BS about what a gr8 job the CWB was doing.

Comment

This is a good way to make new land

https://www.commercialrealestate.com.au/news/australian-farmers-driving-up-profits-through-regenerative-agriculture/

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                          Need to make a trip to La Crete sometime. Relations up there say it’s something else. Just don’t get any dental work done there😀
                          I thought you were sayin they all had long hair and black teeth like most of us that live on the edge of civilization!

That trailer trash lady was probably just filling a local demand to extremely distressed customers.

Good thread Klause.

Argentina is a great country with nice people and dirty "shithole" political history.

Makes Canada look great.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...