• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think were turning the corner

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forecast always seems to hang a carrot that a window will open up, but it never ever seems to materialize.[/QUOTE]

I've been thinking that too, everyday the promise gets pushed ahead one day. Not today though, the carrot changed to a heavy stick to hit us over the head with. Shows basically through the 14 day forecast no harvest.

Comment

this is Nov weather , how come none of the science deniers are talking about it ?
      not making the news like the recent eastern heat wave did ???
      people better start listening to the sun cycle thing, ?
      maybe spend some of this global warming budget on how to live in a colder climate ?
      lots of places all around the world are recording new record low temps for sept , sask will be also
      nothing will be said , though
      same as the 20 out of 30 nights last November that were -20 or colder ?, it's all good though , definetely getting hotter , WTF ? wake up ?
      and I don't want to hear "it's just weather" that old argument is getting pretty lame ?
      Last edited by Guest; Sep 26, 2018, 13:14.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
        I've been thinking that too, everyday the promise gets pushed ahead one day. Not today though, the carrot changed to a heavy stick to hit us over the head with. Shows basically through the 14 day forecast no harvest.
        Yesterday's forecast had "sunny" or "a mix of sun and cloud", for the entirety of the forecast, with a 30% chance of showers this evening... we're back to 6 days of cloudy, flurries, and showers, with a couple days of "mix of sun and cloud", that every time they've forecasted that it turns into about 2 nice hours a day, then either full on afternoon cloud, or god forbid a pop up shower.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
          Yesterday's forecast had "sunny" or "a mix of sun and cloud", for the entirety of the forecast, with a 30% chance of showers this evening... we're back to 6 days of cloudy, flurries, and showers, with a couple days of "mix of sun and cloud", that every time they've forecasted that it turns into about 2 nice hours a day, then either full on afternoon cloud, or god forbid a pop up shower.
          Oh for us they get every drop of rain 100% correct even if 20-30% chance ...highs of -1 a week from Friday this moment ...changes every time I check though! July - Aug every drop forecast dissipated never happened?

Comment

Forecast if anything, doesn't even hold a carrot this year. 75% crop out and not one carrot.

Comment

Dad talks about a fall like this. Musta been many years back cause they were running 27’ Massey’s. Got 30 acres off and it pissed around till it snowed in. Once a trend establishes its hard for it to break. This Jetstream is punishing us and for the next couple weeks at least. Wonder if Walmart needs a greeter or adm needs a floor sweeper. Stay in school kids, lifelong farmer and university dropout don’t get you much for job prospects if you don’t have a 1A

Comment

Yup, gonna be a long winter watching someone else's tropical pictures lol.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  Yup, gonna be a long winter watching someone else's tropical pictures lol.
                  Time goes by fast out here chasing two rigs. LOL
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180809_100127.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	766741
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180809_114012.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	766740

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
                    Time goes by fast out here chasing two rigs. LOL
                    [ATTACH]3413[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]3412[/ATTACH]
                    What happens when the sun comes out? Can you leave to harvest short notice?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                      [ATTACH]3400[/ATTACH]
                      Shes a real beauty , canary is dry.
                      Life is good , maybe , lol
                      Only thing dry today today is my bed. Got soaked while checking fence for moving the bulls onto another quarter and then got to play in the mud with my brother and didn’t get any drier.

This canola won’t die here. Started growing June 1 (first rain of the year) since it was seeded into powder from working the ground to get rid of the ruts from the last two years. Then the smoke of July and August delayed it a bunch. The continual snow and rain this month hasn’t helped either and we’re putting those ruts right back in now.

We both agreed to finish swathing the canola and then probably start on the wheat since it is feeling like 2016 where 2/3 of the crop stayed out. Spring 2017 anything swathed was garbage but ran through the combine like warm butter and made seeding easier. The flattened crop wouldn’t dry underneath and had to be disked or destroyed with the heavy harrows. The wheat is actually getting greener every day from all the late volunteer canola coming up as well.

I thought this year harvest would be quick and easy since it was so dry and only 2/3 of a normal crop. Now we don’t even have any grain on hand for wintering the cattle. We only got half the straw we should have and that’s carryover from last year. There’s still all the second cut out yet and it was planned on making dry bales for sale but now I’ll be happy if it dries up enough to make silage bales without destroying the fields.

I have written this crop off in my mind and now we’re trying to get things in place for making seeding 2019 easier since harvest will likely be overlapping it. My FIL is coming out to run our new to us wishek disk over some pasture and winterkilled hay fields. Better make sure it works like we think since it’ll be busy next spring most likely.

Fun times ahead for everyone in this area with only having the peas off. Going to be another long winter but at least we have plenty of silage.

This is just some rambling from someone who couldn’t really sleep tonight from the rain blowing against the windows. Good luck to everyone else since the only harvesting happening around here is what the four legged critters are doing. 🍀

P.S. I’m not grumpy or bitter about the whole situation. I just wish it didn’t consume so much time from my family and other projects to accomplish so little.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                        Only thing dry today today is my bed. Got soaked while checking fence for moving the bulls onto another quarter and then got to play in the mud with my brother and didn’t get any drier.

This canola won’t die here. Started growing June 1 (first rain of the year) since it was seeded into powder from working the ground to get rid of the ruts from the last two years. Then the smoke of July and August delayed it a bunch. The continual snow and rain this month hasn’t helped either and we’re putting those ruts right back in now.

We both agreed to finish swathing the canola and then probably start on the wheat since it is feeling like 2016 where 2/3 of the crop stayed out. Spring 2017 anything swathed was garbage but ran through the combine like warm butter and made seeding easier. The flattened crop wouldn’t dry underneath and had to be disked or destroyed with the heavy harrows. The wheat is actually getting greener every day from all the late volunteer canola coming up as well.

I thought this year harvest would be quick and easy since it was so dry and only 2/3 of a normal crop. Now we don’t even have any grain on hand for wintering the cattle. We only got half the straw we should have and that’s carryover from last year. There’s still all the second cut out yet and it was planned on making dry bales for sale but now I’ll be happy if it dries up enough to make silage bales without destroying the fields.

I have written this crop off in my mind and now we’re trying to get things in place for making seeding 2019 easier since harvest will likely be overlapping it. My FIL is coming out to run our new to us wishek disk over some pasture and winterkilled hay fields. Better make sure it works like we think since it’ll be busy next spring most likely.

Fun times ahead for everyone in this area with only having the peas off. Going to be another long winter but at least we have plenty of silage.

This is just some rambling from someone who couldn’t really sleep tonight from the rain blowing against the windows. Good luck to everyone else since the only harvesting happening around here is what the four legged critters are doing. 🍀

P.S. I’m not grumpy or bitter about the whole situation. I just wish it didn’t consume so much time from my family and other projects to accomplish so little.
                        I hear you. Nothing wrong about coming here to vent.

Comment

Yup , turning a corner alright.
                          Though technically falling off a cliff is turning a corner.
                          And this morning the weather network has the daily highs for the next 2 weeks closer to the overnight average lows.
                          Looks to mid October at least in many areas before it might be dry enough ,.
                          Largest blocking ridge in most of our lifetimes 60 years.
                          Not good.

Comment

Just like the 50's ...Click image for larger version

Name:	33414306_source.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	766753Click image for larger version

Name:	33414184_source.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	766754

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/record-ridge-alaska-heat-cold-snow-alberta-anomaly-historic-extreme-pattern-weather/113160/ https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/record-ridge-alaska-heat-cold-snow-alberta-anomaly-historic-extreme-pattern-weather/113160/

Comment

Yup the 85 year old just told me the same thing.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...