• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oats

After several years not growing oats, considering it for 2019.
    Ag Canada optimistic outlook, less so for pulse crops, a rotation option.
    Premium for not using preharvest spray could be advantage for us over those who have sold swathers.
    Seed availability a bit of a concern but not so much if we act soon to acquire it.
    Wonder what others think at this stage of game?

Well all of our cereals are treated and priced as feed anyway, so might as well grow something dedicated to the feed market. Barely would be another but worried about lodging here.

Comment

Group one resistant wild oat issues.
      Storage issues can be a problem.
      "Lighter" test weights in drier years.
      Ghetto yields.

Keeps us from getting into them.

Those that can grow them and do well should do so.

Every area has crop types that may not suit them.

Comment

I like growing oats it’s just bin room and animal crap that causes concern. I still have a swather and don’t mind using it but deer and elk always like to crap on the swath and with oats the bottom sieve of the combine is open really wide and the crap goes right in the grain tank.

Comment

10-25% of my acres are oats every year, but I've had a few neighbours who haven't grown any in a few years say they are going to put some in the ground next year, which is a sure sign the price is going to be in the dumpster next year. I'm thinking I might cut my oat acres to 0 next year.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyJeremiah View Post
            10-25% of my acres are oats every year, but I've had a few neighbours who haven't grown any in a few years say they are going to put some in the ground next year, which is a sure sign the price is going to be in the dumpster next year. I'm thinking I might cut my oat acres to 0 next year.
            haha, exactly my thought jj. like moths to a flame

Comment

Only time I get on oats is if there’s some breaking to seed. Unfortunately have enough breaking to seed. In all seriousness this area grows great oats but it’s like rye or milo a poor mans crop. Wheat still pencils better. Guys that religiously grow them do fine as they’re prepared to sit on them. Wild oats and moisture deficiency at the wrong time can mess them up. I have enough storage on my small operation and don’t intend to put a bunch of money into them. If they’re a wreck I can graze or bale, or store till price recovers.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                Only time I get on oats is if there’s some breaking to seed. Unfortunately have enough breaking to seed. In all seriousness this area grows great oats but it’s like rye or milo a poor mans crop. Wheat still pencils better. Guys that religiously grow them do fine as they’re prepared to sit on them. Wild oats and moisture deficiency at the wrong time can mess them up. I have enough storage on my small operation and don’t intend to put a bunch of money into them. If they’re a wreck I can graze or bale, or store till price recovers.
                I do them when breaking hay fields (or new ground) too, oats make any farmer look good. They do well in those conditions. Sure aren’t worth much though. Nobody made seed grade around here and seed oats are in short supply, apparently.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...