• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

durum varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

durum varieties

Just wondering if those that grew Congress durum in the past would grow it again, what are the pros and cons of that variety.

Originally posted by rumrocks View Post
    Just wondering if those that grew Congress durum in the past would grow it again, what are the pros and cons of that variety.
    Interesting question.....I thought by the time the variety was released all the attributes were part of the sales pitch....

The real varietal testing still ends up on farms....now with a seed tax to boot whether it performs or not....

I did hear good things about the variety Fortitude...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
      Interesting question.....I thought by the time the variety was released all the attributes were part of the sales pitch....

The real varietal testing still ends up on farms....now with a seed tax to boot whether it performs or not....

I did hear good things about the variety Fortitude...
      I have been using fortitude for a few yrs and have been have been happy with it. A good yielder, we got about 55 with it this yr and 50 last yr with pretty average fertility. It was my first wheat in probably 10 yrs so I didn't throw too much money at it.

Comment

Lots moving to Precision durum

Comment

Some guys should keep some older varieties so when the seed tax goes thru the renamed varieties extracting money off our farms have something to go back to...

Comment

Brigade has been our go to variety for a few years now. We tried some Precision this year and It gave the Brigade a run for its money on all characteristics, will try again next year. Local seed grower was impressed with his Stronghold and Congress. We are thinking about Congress next year, I’m not sure what makes black beards black but they always seem to perform best on our farm.

I maintain that you have to grow a variety for no less than 3 years before you can say weather it’s a good fit or not.

On our farm Brigade is the standard we hold all new durum varieties to. This was our third year with fortitude and it never out performed Brigade in any year so I guess it’s time to try something else.

What is Certified Durum seed worth this year? Should be cheaper that usual this year, may be a good year to try a newer variety.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLentil View Post
              Brigade has been our go to variety for a few years now. We tried some Precision this year and It gave the Brigade a run for its money on all characteristics, will try again next year. Local seed grower was impressed with his Stronghold and Congress. We are thinking about Congress next year, I’m not sure what makes black beards black but they always seem to perform best on our farm.

I maintain that you have to grow a variety for no less than 3 years before you can say weather it’s a good fit or not.

On our farm Brigade is the standard we hold all new durum varieties to. This was our third year with fortitude and it never out performed Brigade in any year so I guess it’s time to try something else.

What is Certified Durum seed worth this year? Should be cheaper that usual this year, may be a good year to try a newer variety.
              Your statement about three years is one of the reasons guys buy from the neighbours I believe....its not about the seed tax its about conditioning for the area....

Comment

Variety performance is so dependent upon local conditions, its sort of fruitless to keep chasing new ones. These are probably all like canola now, like a 1 or 2% difference in yield vs check but any number of things can throw that off.

I am still using a flax variety that's been around forever.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  Your statement about three years is one of the reasons guys buy from the neighbours I believe....its not about the seed tax its about conditioning for the area....
                  That’s why we try and buy seed for new varieties as close to home as possible. If it’s coming from a retailer I always ask where it’s coming from and who the seed grower is. It might sound crazy but I think it makes a difference.

Brown bagging is getting tough to do unless your cleaning your own. Cleaners are starting to keep track of what they are cleaning and volumes, making guys sign declarations.

Comment

Have been growing Brigade for some time now, it’s a real hard variety to beat IMO. Only draw back is there’s a lot of straw on a wet year.
                    Grew some Spitfire in 17, Brigade outyieded it and weighed a good bu heavier. Grew a quarter of Precision this year, looked like it should make 80, went just under 40. Sample was ugly, small kernels. Looks like it can’t handle the heat like Brigade.
                    We’ve had two dry years, hard to get a good feel for these new varieties.
                    My plan was to have all Spitfire in 18, but ended up cleaning Brigade.
                    I like Brigade and so does my fuel retailer. I liked Spitfire with the short straw.
                    Most of the newer varieties look to be close on yield according to the Seed Guide.
                    Should give Precision another try in 19 see if it can do any better.

Comment

One word..."Fusarium".

I better stick with hard red.

Comment

We're really out of tradition growing area, so have found way different results. Bridge not great. To this day, our transcend out yields any variety I've tried over the last 6 years. But protein is lower, and due to its longer maturity, usually end up with a lower hvk. I like growing the 2 spectrums of durum. Fortitude is shorter, way earlier, lower yield, but has been ready to go and dry, and higher quality than anything else in the same year. So like to grow 1/3 of that then at least a 1/3 transcend then experiment in a 1/3.
                        Unfortunately none are leaps and bounds ahead of old faithful strong field. HRSW genetics are gonna start stealing acres from durum. Which is ok in my mind too. Durum used to consistently out yield HRSW variety's around here by 10 to 15% but seems those days are gone now.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          One word..."Fusarium".

I better stick with hard red.
                          Come on farma put some excitement in the ghetto ..... half the farm to durum other half to chickpeas. Guaranteed we shouldn’t have a drought. 😁

Comment

I've had good luck with Transcend over the years, yields well and holds it's color and grade after a rain . . . . eliminates getting cross checked in the grading room, although discounts have narrowed considerably between grades.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                              Come on farma put some excitement in the ghetto ..... half the farm to durum other half to chickpeas. Guaranteed we shouldn’t have a drought. 😁
                              So you expect me to take one for the team?

👉👌

🤜👃

👄🤛

👎👎👎👎👎👎👎

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...