• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Year's Resolution

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Year's Resolution

I'm not one for making N Y resolutions normally but this time I'm going to try pretty hard. I resolve in the New Year not to post on any more climate change threads. As some other posters have pointed out it's an endless topic and one in which the two sides are so far apart that no-one is convincing anyone from the "other side" to change their views.
    The views of the "climate change deniers" are now all over the map. Viewpoints put forward include:

There is no climate change.
    It's getting colder not warmer in Western Canada.
    Increased CO2 levels boost crop yields.
    Increased CO2 levels following volcanic events led to abysmal crop yields and crop failures.
    Increased CO2 levels following wildfires increased crop yields this year.
    Increased CO2 levels over the last 20 years have led to consistent crop yield increases across Canada.

Actually haven written them down there maybe is a pattern forming - a change from denying it's happening to covertly admitting it is but insisting instead that the effects are all positive.
    Maybe a bonus of this new thinking is that we won't have to suffer another growing season with daily posts saying how terrible the crops are. May as well admit now they are all great with the increasing CO2 levels and relegate SF3s postings to travel tips and girly cocktail recipes!

I will just stay a denier....OK?

I thought higher yields was because of better varieties and even better yields due to the incoming seed tax..

I will continue to use my brain and think for myself.....but I will consider all opinions. ...

Comment

I took a self imposed hiatus from the site because of the doom and gloom and continuous dead horse beating, myself included. I felt better but realized everything isn’t sunshine and lollipops so I came back to temper my joy.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
        I will just stay a denier....OK?

I thought higher yields was because of better varieties and even better yields due to the incoming seed tax..

I will continue to use my brain and think for myself.....but I will consider all opinions. ...
        Whaaaaaat . Daaaaa fuuuuuuk? You mean my check off dollars aren't producing better yields it's because the wildfires and cows crapping and farting?

Comment

I'm going to play it safe and stay away from the varied interpretation of historic climate data and varied scientific future predictions, instead just go with the present . . . . . . eclectic weather today . . . . . . saves on being bombarded with opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
            I'm not one for making N Y resolutions normally but this time I'm going to try pretty hard. I resolve in the New Year not to post on any more climate change threads. As some other posters have pointed out it's an endless topic and one in which the two sides are so far apart that no-one is convincing anyone from the "other side" to change their views.
            The views of the "climate change deniers" are now all over the map. Viewpoints put forward include:

There is no climate change.
            It's getting colder not warmer in Western Canada.
            Increased CO2 levels boost crop yields.
            Increased CO2 levels following volcanic events led to abysmal crop yields and crop failures.
            Increased CO2 levels following wildfires increased crop yields this year.
            Increased CO2 levels over the last 20 years have led to consistent crop yield increases across Canada.

Actually haven written them down there maybe is a pattern forming - a change from denying it's happening to covertly admitting it is but insisting instead that the effects are all positive.
            Maybe a bonus of this new thinking is that we won't have to suffer another growing season with daily posts saying how terrible the crops are. May as well admit now they are all great with the increasing CO2 levels and relegate SF3s postings to travel tips and girly cocktail recipes!
            So you're gonna stop posting argumental posts on climate change and decided to start this thread to get one last chance in before the New Year?

Comment

Comment

Here here.
                Same with renewable electricity not gonna argue bitch or moan pisses me off but thats the way it is.

Sound like were on the way to a marketing forum again.....well for 40% of the time anyway.

Keys to 2019 Russia/black sea, USA and China in no particular order same as every other year.

And oh rainfall annus horribilis here.

And to finish 18 with some humour reckon Farmaholic will drop one "N" from previous sentence

Comment

Grassfarmer, keep in mind like you I am a beef farmer but I grain farm as well. I read an interesting article on the CBC website you should read:"Your meals are speeding up climate change, but there is a way to eat sustainably." In this article they compare consuming different types of food to the number kms equivelent in a Honda civic for production of C02. A couple of other points from the article, agriculture is responsible for 1/3 of the world's GHG emissions and that agriculture on its own could raise the earth's temperature by 1.5 degrees Celsius on its own if nothing is changed. Farming is certainly in the environmentalists crosshairs.

One point you used to defend your support of policies like carbon taxes was that you feel that by supporting environmentalists that they will support the continued production of beef for human consumption, earning social licence. Rachel Notley when she became Premier brought in the climate leadership plan with a carbon tax, a cap on oilsands emissions and investments in renewable energy. One reason she gave was to earn social licence for the construction of new pipelines. What she has learned is that environmentalists don't give a damn what sacrifices are made they do not want new pipelines. The same time will unfortunately come for beef production, just like pipelines they will decide that beef production is no longer acceptable no matter how efficient we become.

One point we do agree on is that continued discussions about climate change are pointless because none of us change our minds. The biggest problem for us all is to try and predict where the future of farming is going and how to plot that future. In my case my family has farmed in the same area for 112 years and I certainly hope this can continue into the future.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    I resolve in the New Year not to post on any more climate change threads.
                    Well that is convenient timing, at least now you won't have to respond to the question about the source of your grossly erroneous CO2 figure in the volcano thread.

As a fellow cattle producer, and one of the few active on here, it would be great if we could have more productive discussions about our industry, instead of the pointless bickering, maybe if we all stop feeding the trolls, we can back on topic. We have a lot of common ground, and a lot could be learned from each other. Either that or else I need to start drinking so I can appreciate the cocktails threads?

I will make it my Christmas present to Agriville, and New Years Resolution to quit feeding the Troll (again). I noticed that while I kept that policy, the topic nearly disappeared. As soon as I started refuting the Troll, the new threads popped up prolifically. I will still keep my word to provide the promised journal articles.

Comment

All it takes is a really good graphic to convince people not to buy that terrible beef....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/food-climate-change-carbon-footprint-1.4930062 https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/food-climate-change-carbon-footprint-1.4930062

Click image for larger version

Name:	carbon-emissions-from-food.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	767010

Comment

When did beef move from a staple to a luxury. Or from a staple to taboo? Where's the middle ground gone?

We have a fairly diverse diet but I still like beef in it. We were fed beef growing up, it was cultural. I guess society is, or may be, "evolving" away from it.

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
                          All it takes is a really good graphic to convince people not to buy that terrible beef....

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/food-climate-change-carbon-footprint-1.4930062 https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/food-climate-change-carbon-footprint-1.4930062

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3805[/ATTACH]
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	first-they-came-martin-niemoller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	767011

Or we could just carry on attacking each other, presenting a divided front, and providing even more ammunition to use against us as they continue to attack our livelihoods.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            When did beef move from a staple to a luxury. Or from a staple to taboo? Where's the middle ground gone?

We have a fairly diverse diet but I still like beef in it. We were fed beef growing up, it was cultural. I guess society is, or may be, "evolving" away from it.
                            It didn't, and the concept is a lot of wishful thinking, beef consumption Worldwide, continues to rise, and according to the FAO, will grow by 69% by 2050. Many people forget that the world is a much bigger place than our own backyard.

Comment

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...