• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the Big push to soy in Sask. You need a August rain!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have had beans yield same as canola on a wet year, around 40. RRV guys will tell you many stories of beans outyielding canola.

Nothing likes dry or wet. beans will not drown out like canola but waterlogged soils will still stunt them.

Comment

We over the years did hit yields that would pay the bills. No nitrogen but ground is nice for next crop.

But you miss the rain in August and piss poor. Or if they hear on the radio it will get down to 5 above at night they seem to just sayF#$K it and top pods abort.

Reality is the short season wasn't designed for Canada but for the USA as a second crop after winter wheat is harvested.

I would rather grow oats or barley and get something than hit miss miss some hit miss skunked hit.

Comment

Just another crop where seed costs are way out of line. Yes, you don’t need fert but still $100/ac for seed is too much on a crop we really know nothing about.
        Like SF3 said would rather pay $15 ac for seed barley and know you will get something back and turn a decent profit. For me it’s all about net return not the fancy number a commodity is paying. The crops that cost a ton to grow better have a high number, cost to grow them is getting out of hand.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER3 View Post
          We over the years did hit yields that would pay the bills. No nitrogen but ground is nice for next crop.

But you miss the rain in August and piss poor. Or if they hear on the radio it will get down to 5 above at night they seem to just sayF#$K it and top pods abort.

Reality is the short season wasn't designed for Canada but for the USA as a second crop after winter wheat is harvested.

I would rather grow oats or barley and get something than hit miss miss some hit miss skunked hit.
          Beans look bad right now. Coming off 2 record dry years and a supply glut of epic proportions in the US. This time next year could be a different story. I think its good to keep as many crops as you can in the rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
            Just another crop where seed costs are way out of line. Yes, you don’t need fert but still $100/ac for seed is too much on a crop we really know nothing about.
            Like SF3 said would rather pay $15 ac for seed barley and know you will get something back and turn a decent profit. For me it’s all about net return not the fancy number a commodity is paying. The crops that cost a ton to grow better have a high number, cost to grow them is getting out of hand.
            Isn't this the truth. So just because you don't need any nitro fert doesn't mean the soybean seed cost has to steal that benefit. Just think what the seed and innoculant would cost if they ever develop nitrogen fixing cereals.

Comment

North of 16 FABA is going to have a comeback. Strong market for Snowbird this year in edible markets, and a growing interest in feed and fractionation should make marketing earier.
              Indeed in the north a better bean, but for yield you need that summer rain, and not so much heat, lygus, well always a reality.

FABA we can seed early! Its a big deal to manage chocolate spot tho!

Soy is just too late.

Comment

Originally posted by westernvicki View Post
                North of 16 FABA is going to have a comeback. Strong market for Snowbird this year in edible markets, and a growing interest in feed and fractionation should make marketing earier.
                Indeed in the north a better bean, but for yield you need that summer rain, and not so much heat, lygus, well always a reality.

FABA we can seed early! Its a big deal to manage chocolate spot tho!

Soy is just too late.
                I hope they take off. I’m west of you a ways but lots of guys trying them out. Some success and failure but otherwise positive. I’d like to try a field but it’s gotta be hidden from highway. Need a legume as peas, rocks, and hills don’t mix. Have a lot of south exposed land which should help to bring them on.

Comment

New varieties are early enough
                  The early varieties for the most part made the early September frost .
                  Earliest beans had less than 20% frost loss , ave 35 ish
                  Mid maturity were closer to 50% , ave 22-23 . Not good enough yet but mid maturity just simply will not work on average.
                  40 bus will be norm within 2 years with proper management on soybeans with 2200 hu or less .
                  We took a hot again this year but feel they are a lot closer than people think .
                  Going to give them a year or two yet.
                  Seed cost is a major issue with the risk involved.
                  Also a big negative is no crop insurance, but until they can be proven to be successful north of HWY 16 it is what it is.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...