• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Produce More for Less

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Produce More for Less

Survey says...thanks farmers

Canadian farmers will seed more wheat, barley and canola in 2019/20, according to the first supply/demand tables from Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada for the upcoming crop year, released Jan. 25, 2019. The government agency forecasts all-wheat acres rising to 25.056 million, from 24.891 million the previous year. Of that total, durum seedings are forecast to drop to 4.645 million, from 6.185 million. However, excluding durum, wheat plantings should rise by roughly two million acres, to 20.411 million. Using average yields, total wheat production for 2019/20 is forecast at 33.000 million tonnes, which compares with the 31.769 million tonne crop grown in 2018/19. Barley area is forecast to increase by 400,000 acres, to 6.919 million acres. Production for 2019/20 is pegged at 8.899 million, which would be up by about 500,000 tonnes on the year. Planted canola area for 2019/20 is forecast at 23.104 million acres, which compares with the 22.813 million seeded for the current marketing year. Canola production is forecast at 20.500 million tonnes. Total canola ending stocks are pegged at 2.300 million tonnes, which is in line with the 2018/19 estimate, but slightly below the 2017/18 carryout of 2.506 million tonnes. Pea acres are forecast to hold relatively steady on the year, at 3.608 million acres. However, lentil area is forecast to be down by about 400,000 acres, to 3.336 million. January estimates for Canadian 2019/20 (Aug/Jul), 2018/19 (Aug/Jul) and 2017/18 major crops supply and demand. In million metric tonnes

Are farmers actually participating in these surveys? If you are why?????
    I’ve gotten to the point I only answer numbers I recognize. I guess it’s law we have to take all these surveys, well take me to jail then.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
      Are farmers actually participating in these surveys? If you are why?????
      I’ve gotten to the point I only answer numbers I recognize. I guess it’s law we have to take all these surveys, well take me to jail then.
      When they threatened me about not answering one time.....I just said I would have the media at my farm before the gestapo got there to arrest me.....and I was looking forward to making a spectacle out of it.....

Comment

I would think that assessment for wheat, durum and barley is likely accurate. I think canola will be down slightly as poorer returns this year will encourage some move to lengthen rotations, which is likely a good thing. I think peas will be a bit higher this year as well since some growers did well on peas this winter.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
          I would think that assessment for wheat, durum and barley is likely accurate. I think canola will be down slightly as poorer returns this year will encourage some move to lengthen rotations, which is likely a good thing. I think peas will be a bit higher this year as well since some growers did well on peas this winter.
          I don’t see canola acres going up for the simple fact wheat acres are rising. Aside from pulse acres declining what else is there to go down.

Comment

How many durum growers are switching to Spring wheat and or barley? I am going to go with mostly feed barley and feed wheat and some pulsecrops along with some mustard. That big increase in barley acres is alarming.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy View Post
              How many durum growers are switching to Spring wheat and or barley? I am going to go with mostly feed barley and feed wheat and some pulsecrops along with some mustard. That big increase in barley acres is alarming.
              Don’t grow barley anyone! It’s itchy and wild oat control options are limited, and it’s not drought resistant like wheat.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                Don’t grow barley anyone! It’s itchy and wild oat control options are limited, and it’s not drought resistant like wheat.
                Malt barley also doesn’t like mud, turns yellow for a few weeks and you’re done.
                Malt Barley = high risk.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...