• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little gem from 1931

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is ancient history, now we will just print more money. The question I have if you were the PM where would you start to fix this big mess we got ourselves into?

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
      Your right about the regulations although sometimes they are needed the problem lies in how long the regulations take to get sorted out or approved or denied. Sometimes not a problem with the regulation itself.

I think it's a much differnt time now. When you and I started out our off farm jobs could pay for a bad year on the farm or at least help greatly. Now off farm jobs are peanuts to apply to the farm expenses as you said things went nuts except what people are earning relative to costs of living nevermind cost of production.

I'd assume you'd agree no one could startout but land and equipment on their own now days and have even one year of loss.
      Agree 100%. When I started farming, it took the equivalent of 6 years net earning as a logger to pay my first 50 acre piece of dirt. Today that chunk of dirt would bring around $500 -$700 thousand. Could buy a really good used combine for a little over a year's wages.

farming has become a career for deep pockets only. Terrible. Just terrible.

However, I maintain that there is still opportunity to create wealth and industry for those who have the drive to make something out of nothing. Limitations are directly tied to the extent of one's human ingenuity.

Gonna step way out here and likely get shot down, but since the question was asked - I believe that good leadership would rapidly phase out supply management - like over the next 5 years.

Price of land would likely drop and young guys could start in.

At the same time, make it legal to sell whole, unpasteurized milk and dairy products, with full, shared liability resting on both the seller and the consumer.

Allow the sale of meat products that are processed on-farm, same rules as above.

Reduce many food-processing regulations with the same criterion.

In other words, make people responsible for their actions and let the market take care of reducing the risks and hazards.

Could there be risks and health issues? Of course there would be, but I believe that there would be a commensurate positive response and benefit.

Like, it's not as if we have eliminated mortality rates with our present, heavily regulated and scrutinized system.

Cut off social benefits to drug users - workers must pass drug tests, why not welfare recips?

No more "safe injection sites" - for God's sake, why call a poison feeding center "safe"?

No immigration for those who cannot demonstrate a benefit to the receiving country. Is it fair to welcome people like sock boy did when people cannot expect to find work here? To be relegated to a welfare cheque? Not fair to the immigrant, completely unfair to those who are being asked - against their will and their means - to support them.

Just a few little ideas since you asked.

Now back to cutting next year's firewood...
      Last edited by burnt; Feb 4, 2019, 12:40.

Comment

good luck getting a
        elected on that platform although I agree with most of them.

Comment

What ever system is in place has to have incentive.
          Communism does not work. There is always someone taking
          Advantage of others efforts
          On the other hand . Capitalism works . But uncontrolled
          It can become monopolistic. To the point that even govt.s
          Do the bidding of the corporations.
          That is where we are at with the seed industry.

Laws need to be passed to promote innovation.

What we get instead are laws that give control of the market to the monopoly.
          No need for innovation when you own the market.

A lot of lessons were learned 100 years ago about
          Monolopys, patent law and unfair practices.
          And the laws to combat them and create fair competition were created.

Globalisation Reganonmics .neo cons did an end run around
          Those laws. Tech use agreements etc.

The fact that you will in the end never actually own
          Your own seed or be able treat it yourself.
          And the fees for use of the seed , has been govt.
          Mandated to be collected from you.

No innovation just control

Comment

Originally posted by tubs View Post
            That is ancient history, now we will just print more money.
            Yup. That is why I maintain that the free market capitalist economy is long gone. Only a fool works hard when the government prints money. All you need to do is own real estate and use it like an ATM.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
              Hmmm, not sure if you lump the Sock Boy prime minister in with "Neo-cons" perhaps - a trust fund baby that has his wealth stashed away in offshore accounts where the taxman can't reach it... or [B]Finance Minister Bill Morneau who has done the same, [B] or Paul Martin, the great Liberal Finance Minister credited with getting the budget under control, etc, all Neo-cons, eh?

Perhaps the problem isn't with the tax system?

Perhaps the problem lies in human nature that no tax scheme can solve?

I can't believe that you went down this regressive road. Well, yes I can.
              Burnt, are you suggesting or appetite for hyper consumption of all things under the sun and the ability to rack up consumer debt without a sliver of conscience is more of a problem over paying taxes.
              It's fascinating that society has completed more education than previous generations but mere suggestion of living within your means is regarded as offensive to the average Canadian today.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...