• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here comes another one.....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.52 inches of rain in that storm.
    Just thankful it wasn't the White Combine or a plow wind with it.
    There's energy in those clouds but it wasn't too intense.
    The last one had alot less wind than the picture of the other one I posted a while back.
    One of these time it will be our turn, it's just a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      Ag consultants were crawling all over my neighbors lentil field yesterday. Yup call for the sprayer, gotta spray this shit again 3rd time I think. Well he will be spraying them a 4th time cause they wont stop growing and he just delayed them again.

There is no way in hell lentils are cheaper to grow than other crops. Not here anyway. You are $50 an acre into chemical by the time you are done.

Burnoff $7
      Solo + grass control $15
      3 rounds priaxor $30
      Reglone to kill it all $15 (cant use glyphos)
      3 rounds fungi more like $50

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
        3 rounds fungi more like $50
        I am farming on some property about 15 miles from home. I don’t know what happened to the neighbours crop. Judging from the modern machinery, Im pretty sure they are not organic. It looks like they seeded a pulse crop, I think its lentils. I noticed they turned the cows into it on Tuesday.

Comment

Yup, I quit on my peas too.
          Really pissed at my self.
          Second app ($11) went on because 1st app ($19 before rebates) only "worked for 5 days" and now second Fung doesn't help the disease that there if looked harder.
          Rain every day yada yada.
          Next year I'll use the private consultant I already use for fert recs.
          Never had trouble with Downey mildew before. Year and variety.

Comment

Guys have lentils here on a 4 yr rotation. Something tells me that will be going up. Cant keep up with the disease pressure anymore. The lentil canopy is like a foot deep mat of jungle with dew under and on top every day plus rains.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
              Guys have lentils here on a 4 yr rotation. Something tells me that will be going up. Cant keep up with the disease pressure anymore. The lentil canopy is like a foot deep mat of jungle with dew under and on top every day plus rains.
              Just apply another round of fungicide but this time use 20 Imperial gallons per acre water for better coverage and canopy penetration. Why stop now?

Comment

With the third day of wind this is the best fungicide a farmer could ask for.
                I was going to spray my lentils with Delaro, label said “control” of scloretina. Did some investigating, the “control” last two wks. Funny how the retailers don’t tell you that.
                So used Elatus for $2.25/Ac less, as of today the Delaro control would be gone.

Comment

Extraordinary year here for pressure on peas. I might as well have pissed on them.

Comment

Early seeded lentils here planted on April 22-29 starting to turn. Heavy canopy sprayed once with Delaro, some with Priaxor. Showing good yield potential. Quality remains a wild card. Could use a rain to finish canola and cereals but willing to shave a few bushels to preserve the lentil quality. Barley acres seem to be up a signifigent amount here in our little piece of paradise. Disease showing up in chickpeas even after 3-4 fungicide apps but still showing good yield potential.

Comment

Is any crop worth fungicide spraying 3-4 times, yes there were some wild returns in chickpeas and lentils but maybe it's time for the breeders to focus more on disease resistance than some other novel traits that will ultimately mean ****-all if you can't grow the crop because of extreme disease susceptability.

Think peas too!

Fungicide applications don't guarantee quality, disease resistance doesn't even guarantee quality.....a wet harvest season can ruin it quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        Is any crop worth fungicide spraying 3-4 times, yes there were some wild returns in chickpeas and lentils but maybe it's time for the breeders to focus more on disease resistance than some other novel traits that will ultimately mean ****-all if you can't grow the crop because of extreme disease susceptability.

Think peas too!

Fungicide applications don't guarantee quality, disease resistance doesn't even guarantee quality.....a wet harvest season can ruin it quickly.
                        Today’s price for chicks are 22.5 lb.
                        Cost of 4-5 apps fungicide basically $100 ac maybe more.
                        25 bu crop likely $250 expenses, you can fill in the ...........
                        This is why I quit growing them.
                        Not sure what expense you would put for “stress”.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                          Today’s price for chicks are 22.5 lb.
                          Cost of 4-5 apps fungicide basically $100 ac maybe more.
                          25 bu crop likely $250 expenses, you can fill in the ...........
                          This is why I quit growing them.
                          Not sure what expense you would put for “stress”.
                          Chicks are niche and can be oversupplied like nothing. That's what happened in the late 90s. Based on all the pulse I see went in, wouldn't risk that extra application because it will come right off margin. There is going to be a lot of product around and quality could be an issue.

Also, spraying fungicide is building resistance fast.

Comment

I hear what your saying regarding risk and stress with growing chickpeas. It has become our speculation crop as markets for Kabulies can be volatile and we limit our acres to 10% or less of total seeded acres. In the 22 years we’ve been growing them we’ve had both feast and famine, 200-1500/acre so it keeps us chasing I guess. Lentils have been far more consistent returns but Aphanomyces is becoming big problem for some without any clear reasons why.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...