• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would it take to pull the trigger.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would it take to pull the trigger.

Just wondering what multiplier over fair assessed value, would it take for most to sell out if a investor came in with very deep pockets. Would 1 1/2, 2, or 6 times get it done or in some cases it's not about money it's an emotional attachment and next generation family.

Remembering of course a portion of that money would end up going through Ottawa for the purchase of energy generating roller skates for the people of Sudan.

2000 an acre I’d be gone. Best price here I’ve heard is about 1500. I am not a believer in assessed valuations.

Comment

The trouble is where do you go to? Bank returns are basically nothing, stock market is pretty volitile.

Comment

Ask Bill Boyd .... fleeced Sask tax payers few a few million then just sold out to the Hutterites for big 💰

Ralph is pissed at all farmers now think we are all multi millionaires that can cash out at any moment and wants to crush us all financially now .
        Don’t think so ?? Ask him

Comment

Good land trading here at 2500 to 3500 an acre now makes one think it may be time to pull the pin. Keep the homestead for kids and grandkids and a few quarters and hobby farm for our golden years. Still very hard to let go when you enjoy what your doing but my better half keeps telling me it’s time to slow down. Maybe get a part time job with the local mega farm. Lol

Comment

Even if there wasn't a family member wanting to take over this farm I don't know if it would be for sale. If it's a good investment for an investor, why isn't it for me or my kids?

Couldn't it be a source of rental income?

If you want to maximize and try to sell at the top...good luck. If it drops before you get it sold.....you're still probably way ahead. There has been massive appreciation in the last decade, it wouldn't collapse to the 60-80K range but could correct a bit.

Lots of variables, do you need to sell to pay the land or debt off? Do you need a big infusion of cash to buy a retirement home? Or can you keep it as a source of income,

Comment

If it got just a bit higher that what’s selling south of swift I would be gone. No questions asked. Gone

No

Comment

The first time I read that I wondered what the post was about.

More opportunity to make real big money doing anything else.

We can’t pass on our costs under the current system.

So yea big dollar walks in we’re gone.

Comment

If retiring with no son or daughter taking over would consider 2x assessment. Likely around $6,000/acre.

However, at this time with family following in the family business then no sale.

Comment

But like Jazz says where would you park your money, inflation according to government numbers was 2.44 for 2018, but anyone in farming knows it was probably in the 6 to 8 range.

Once you get out of agriculture inflation wouldn't beat you up as much on inputs, fuel, and parts, but you would also miss inflation on land if it continued. At some point you just have to not worry too much about money and enjoy life before it ends, but it's hard to break old farm habits.

Comment

Farmland is a very unique asset. Not everyone can own it, outsiders restricted, protection of home quarter from bankruptcy for anyone that lives on it including your extended family that dont farm and banks love to lend against it. Its probably their favorite asset to hold.

Like Buffet said, if he was given the choice of all the gold in the world or all the farmland in the US he would take the land.

Comment

I hear the question as:
                        How much over current market would I sell.
                        From a business standpoint, 1.5x replacement or less depending.
                        So if replacement is $5000/ seeded.
                        Take it from there.
                        Anytime you get paid over replacement, pocket the difference and do the flip.
                        Of course, equitable replacement.

Comment

The kids will love money..help them in there chosen professions.
                          Don't stick them with land they will never farm..
                          What to do after quiting?
                          Full time grand parents..travel..
                          Or if so inclined we both have 3 job offers the day were done already..
                          Last edited by Partners; Aug 6, 2019, 15:20.

Comment

Never sell. Hope kids take over one day and if not rent it

Comment

Originally posted by Bowerpower View Post
                              Never sell. Hope kids take over one day and if not rent it
                              Trouble is, down the road a couple generations and rhe value is diluted by multiple heirs, distanced from the farm, eyeballing cash, etc.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...