• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aussie beef is this possible grassfarmer?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aussie beef is this possible grassfarmer?

Find this story hard to believe

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-03/blockchain-detecting-beef-fraud-in-australian-exports-to-china/11662950 https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-03/blockchain-detecting-beef-fraud-in-australian-exports-to-china/11662950

Wouldn't surprise me at all in China as the meat business is full of fraudsters worldwide. On more than one occasion British supermarket chain Tesco have been caught selling "certified Scotch Angus" beef that DNA tested to be Bos Indicus (ie Brahma content, likely sourced from Brasil)
    Other European scams include the famous horse meat scandal where the same supermarket, and others, were selling horse meat imported from Poland as beef.
    The meat processing sector is a dirty business full of crooks who have politicians in their pockets - from the Goodman empire in Ireland to the Brazilian Batista Bros who own the Lakeside plant at Brooks, AB (and their predecessors the Nilsson Bros for that matter)

Comment

Recently I got given some beef in a barter lamb for beef. Cooked a steak and said to missus this steak ain’t quite right.

Quizzed the guy as he said yeah it’s half freisan half Angus. The fat colour was first giveaway then didn’t taste the same.

No dramas with me mate just won’t barter again

Comment

At a fuel stop yesterday with Burger King in corner.
        Beyond beef burger released I think 2 maybe 3 weeks ago and said to guy wandering around sold many non beef burgers he said bugger all 20 or 30 but he said in city franchises going gangbusters maybe a novelty thing dunno.

I didn’t partake.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
          Recently I got given some beef in a barter lamb for beef. Cooked a steak and said to missus this steak ain’t quite right.

Quizzed the guy as he said yeah it’s half freisan half Angus. The fat colour was first giveaway then didn’t taste the same.

No dramas with me mate just won’t barter again
          What was the colour difference in the fat? Hard to see Angus x Friesian versus straight Angus being different in that respect.

Comment

Soon as we got it wife said fats quite yellow I thought nothing of it.

The dairy cow side is black and white ones have I got breed wrong?

Some connoisseurs of lamb can pic difference between merino and British breeds eg suffolk.

Just on lamb sheep prices easing a fair bit in oz last 3 weeks.

Probably a numbers thing stock getting unloaded due to feed shortages and cost.

Got 5.80 for some old ewes dressed weight over hooks peaked at $6 same week 2 weeks ago now back to $5 fair drop in 2 weeks

Comment

Yellow fat is usually an indicator of poorly fattened grass-fed versus grain fed beef.

Comment

Beef difference likely more attributed to diet or health or even slaughter situation more than breed. (Admit, Never ate a friesen) Much to the dismay of purebred beef guys, holstein is some of the best beef you will ever eat. Marbles better as they grow compared to beef breeds.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                  Beef difference likely more attributed to diet or health or even slaughter situation more than breed. (Admit, Never ate a friesen) Much to the dismay of purebred beef guys, holstein is some of the best beef you will ever eat. Marbles better as they grow compared to beef breeds.
                  They got more time to fatten up so more time to marble.

Comment

Never eaten Waygu never will probably will but what’s good about it ?
                    Last edited by malleefarmer; Nov 3, 2019, 00:14.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                      Never eaten Waygu never will probably will but what’s good about it ?
                      Extreme amount of marbling. I haven't tasted it either but a friend who did complained it was like eating a block of beef flavoured butter - too much fat for him. Marbling is generally accepted as the thing that leads to tenderness and "melt in the mouth" eating quality. Not entirely true though as there are a few isolated breeds in the world that don't marble but have exceptional eating quality. What Wilton Ranch says about time on feed (grain) equalling marbling is considered true by most in the North American feedlot sector but again I'd say there are exceptions. Some breeds of cattle are well marbled throughout their lives - ours are, as evidenced by the occasional casualty we have salvaged over the years. Like a yearling breeding heifer that had no amount of finish on her when she broke her leg - was marbled superbly.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...