• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weed resistance solutions

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting thoughts and strategies. In my observation of the corn /soybean rotation in much of the Midwest US there seems to me that they are slowly losing the war with weed resistance because of their reliance on roundup. Kochia for us is bad one. Edge for lentils or Clearfield canola really helps. Good old 24D is one that I feel can be hard on the barley but used at the right staging seems to work. Ideally if I can have a four year rotation on crops with breaks on chemical groups I do believe it is manageable. Heat(14) added with the roundup appears to work good. Express (2) really fell short for us. For the first time in probably 30 years I got some liquid treflan and sprayed it on a quarter where I was going after Japanese brome that i knew would come in a barley field that has no in crop choices.
    It has been a struggle because it seems we are making cropping decisions based on economic returns and not enough emphasis on sustainability. I was looking at Dwayne Becks stuff online the other day and his "warm season / cool season" strategy makes sense but the short coming is in the economics of some of the crops.

Comment

What are guys opinions on "Olympus" for going after group 1 resistant wild oats and foxtail barley?

I have a 1/4 that is absolutely infested with group 1 resistant wild oats. Trouble is I don't want to get overly reliant on group 2 control in cereals, or I'll be left with either avadex or edge in peas/lentils, whih is certainly not easy on the pocketbook. And god forbid i lose efficacy of edge, I'll be up shit creek without a paddle when it comes to group 1 resistant wild oats in yellow mustard which doesn't put up much of a fight until it bolts...

The only other option I see, is trying to delay seeding and catch them with RU pre-seed, and hit the stragglers with the uber expensive group 27 in crop.

Anyone seeing group 2 resistance in wild oats yet, and if so, how many apps of group 2 in-crop did it take for resistane to show up?

Comment

Grasses become resistant to group twos far faster than group one modes. Honestly, what is hay worth in your area, and does the yield stack up?

Comment

We've tried to be proactive on managing resistance, especially from watching what has happened in the southern US with waterhemp and Palmer Amaranth. Different crops other than the area norm of durum and lentils, pre-emerge, different MOA and groups, tank mixing, granulars, even hand picking on boundaries and NG leases, terminating problem spots incrop and using a weed wick in lentils. It can get expensive, but yield loss and playing catch up isn't cheap either.

It's amazing how some are totally oblivious to resistance. Have neighbours that flat out believe weeds can't become resistant to chemicals, yet scratch their heads when Solo doesn't kill stinkweed and Persian darnel in their CL lentils.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            Grasses become resistant to group twos far faster than group one modes. Honestly, what is hay worth in your area, and does the yield stack up?
            Plenty of years here the gophers have to pack a lunch from june on...

Comment

I will sell to the Hutts.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                Diverse crop rotation and diverse range of chem's for as long as that works. So far Kochia is not up here in the NE as far as i know. I have never grown any glyf resistant crops so that option should still be available. Wild oats and cleavers are the ones that will cause problems here. If all else fails retirement.
                yea , thats what I'm thinking
                as far as kochia , that field we have across from the old town dump was covered in kochia the year we had the drought in 02 . i picked a bunch , but it never came back , apparently didn't like the swamp

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                  What are guys opinions on "Olympus" for going after group 1 resistant wild oats and foxtail barley?

I have a 1/4 that is absolutely infested with group 1 resistant wild oats. Trouble is I don't want to get overly reliant on group 2 control in cereals, or I'll be left with either avadex or edge in peas/lentils, whih is certainly not easy on the pocketbook. And god forbid i lose efficacy of edge, I'll be up shit creek without a paddle when it comes to group 1 resistant wild oats in yellow mustard which doesn't put up much of a fight until it bolts...

The only other option I see, is trying to delay seeding and catch them with RU pre-seed, and hit the stragglers with the uber expensive group 27 in crop.

Anyone seeing group 2 resistance in wild oats yet, and if so, how many apps of group 2 in-crop did it take for resistane to show up?
                  I can say Olympus was effective on foxtail barley...

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    I can say Olympus was effective on foxtail barley...
                    Did you follow it in-crop with anything?

They recommend varro or velocity m3? Obviously aiming for group 1 resistant oats?
                    Last edited by helmsdale; Jan 7, 2020, 20:56. Reason: Stupid auto-correct

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post

Think of group 2 as a 6 shooter. You get 6 bullets, after that you are done.

59% of the fields surveyed has wild oats with grp 1 resistance, AB and SK, 80% in MB. 30 to 40% sk and mb to group 2. Also, 25 to 30% are resistant to both. Manitoba has fields that are 1,2,8,14,15 resistant in wild oats.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                        I have also found kochia resistant to R-up. HW was effective. Unfortunately with todays megafarms these weeds will spread.
                        I have seen a few of these MEGAFARMS in my travels. Some have excellent weed control / timing , and others have a dandy crop of thistle and kochia. Might be time to get the noble/victory blades out of the fencerow and re-introduce them! YAAAAYYYY ! Can't wait to burn more fuel !

Comment

Try to keep a diverse crop and herbicide rotation is all one can do. Adding in some of the 30 year old pre emergent herbicides has helped here. Avedex, Rival and Edge are all back in crop plans now.
                          Tweety brings up an excellent point, there are no new herbcides with new chemistry, so it is concerning.

Comment

So have we reached the end of the road for discovering new chemistry for weed control? Is the cost to high or the regulations just so tight no will bother trying to find new chemistry?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...