• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourgault mid row discs or shanks

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the pointers, we have been harrowing in fall on cereals for ever, just last couple on canola. Bought a Bourgault harrow with hydraulic adjustable down force, works really well, even in wet conditions. Just need a dedicated body to keep it moving. Really looking at mid row shanks for less maintenance, they cost $10,000 more than discs, ?, lots being used with urea, a few with liquid & NH3

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
      I think SeedMaster has come further in frame improvements than SeedHawk. Bourgaults are tanks.

MRB's definitely have their issues. High maintenance and in a dry year fert too far from seed row. But I told(teased)wiseguy the bumper is back on now that it rained in Ghetto central and the crop found the fert midrow.

Bourgaults seed distribution system is archaic in my mind. Rough ride with two deadhead points, main distribution tower and secondary one. I like the ability to put any product coming out of any tank of the cart in either the seed row or MRB row. That way it is definitely versatile. I think metering is accurate also...we calibrate everything every year....never rely on old calibrations. We sometimes record them for reference.

Good luck with your decision. But like some guys have pointed out a good C-shank drill will grow as good a crop as anything. Some land topography is friendlier to c-shank drills than others. The old flexicoils had some frame flex and if the sections weren't too wide they did a pretty decent job. What I don't like about the Bourgault drill is there is no feathering it out if you're going through a wet spot or over a sharp knoll----its either in or out and as soon as you hit that electric over hydraulic switch to raise the drill....out it comes AND the main drive seed clutch disengages. (even though they're independent shank they still tend to go in deeper over sharp hilltops,.....would need an XTC, or what ever the new model that replaced it is called, PLX help prevent that)

That's my two cents
      My neighbour has a Seedmaster drill which is having some frame issues. This drill is about 10 years old and around 30,000 Ac. I don’t know if the newer drills have these cracked frame issues resolved. They do a good job of even seed emergence but straw management is a must,behind the combine and harrowing also.Their seed shanks and fertilizer shanks are close to each other. Every drill has their pros and cons so depends on what works best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
        Seedhawk comes from factory with a fertilizer shank !

One can pull 72 feet of Seedhawk instead of 60 Ft of Bourgault with mrbs !

I should write Gerry a letter !
        Wiseguy has waged a holy-war against Bourgault. And he's on a crusade to recover SeedHawk's former glory.

Kinda like a quest for the Holy Grail that has fallen from SeedHawk's possession into the hands of the exhalted Almighty Glorious Bourgault.

Last edited by farmaholic; Jul 20, 2020, 21:49.

Comment

Farma buy anything at Ritchies ??
          ...a SeedHawk.

Comment

Gonna pull all my Bourgaults to Ritchies

Hopefully they sell for more than new !
            They're worth more as scrap than SeedHawk's are new!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...