• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solar

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Klause, please come back and explain! That post went over our dumb heads. I seriously have no idea what it meant, kudos to those of you who act like you know what he meant!

Don’t do this to us, Klause.... lol 😂

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
      Klause, please come back and explain! That post went over our dumb heads. I seriously have no idea what it meant, kudos to those of you who act like you know what he meant!

Don’t do this to us, Klause.... lol 😂

Look up

Comment

Originally posted by Klause View Post
        Look up
        Lol. Posted and left for a bit there. Shows how slow I type.

Comment

Lots of aeration fans here Klause. Sometimes running weeks on end(not all the same ones all the time).

I'll stick to my maintenance, depreciation and replacement comment.

I'm not arguing against them, because I'm think I would have to educate myself more to make a solid argument against them.

Comment

Maybe it will work out better there than here in Ontario.

"Ontario’s green-energy catastrophe

A transition to renewables sent energy prices soaring, pushed thousands into poverty and fuelled a populist backlash."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/09/17/ontarios-green-energy-catastrophe/ https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/09/17/ontarios-green-energy-catastrophe/

Get ready Canada. The architect for the Ontario catastrophe has graduated to ottawa.

Comment

https://capitalistexploits.at/investing-for-the-greenwash-bubble/

This is an interesting read

Comment

No politics. This thread is about actual solar not politics and pie in sky arguments from any side.

Comment

What solar panal would you put on semis? To keep battery's up? I bought some from junky tire have 2 that work great but the others don't? Is there better made ones?

Comment

So how do the other cost work on a Saskatchewan power bill?

I live in Alberta and Fortis is my provider and for a smaller farm their bill is based on the circuit breaker size at the power pole. On this breaker size I pay a distribution and transmission cost. On a normal month my bill is say $400. Of that $10 is administration, $260 is distribution and tranmission and $130 is the actual electricity cost.

If I hooked up my own solar panels and had zero power received from the grid, I would still receive a bill for $270 (administration, distribution and transmission). Just wondering how it works in Saskatchewan?

At $130/month actual electricity cost, that is the most that a solar panel system can save in Alberta, based on my billing above. There might be positive cash flow from selling electricity into the grid that I have not accounted for. The real savings will be from getting totally off the grid and then saving the administration, distribution and transmission costs.

Currently I think that a natural gas generator would make electricity cheaper than the power grid, as the rural gas coop that I belong to has a monthly service charge of $30 and the distribution and transmission costs are built in to the price of natural gas, use none and pay none. As solar gets more advanced and better short term storage, I could see backup natural gas generators being an integral part of the package here to be off the grid.

Comment

Klause,

Are your meter photos showing that only 77 kw has been received over the last 365 days, or just in the last hour? I am assuming it is over the last 365 days as the amount put into the grid is way more than the hourly licenced capacity.

If it is only 77 kW over the last 365 days, there must be something else going on the keep the place warm at night, as 77KW is nothing.

Guess I am still not totally following the numbers.

Comment

Data without time frame, not too meaningful.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          Data without time frame, not too meaningful.
                          365 days. One year. Last Thanksgiving to this Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
                            Klause,

Are your meter photos showing that only 77 kw has been received over the last 365 days, or just in the last hour? I am assuming it is over the last 365 days as the amount put into the grid is way more than the hourly licenced capacity.

If it is only 77 kW over the last 365 days, there must be something else going on the keep the place warm at night, as 77KW is nothing.
                            Guess I am still not totally following the numbers.

Net metering

Power used over 24 hours. If you produce more than you consume you dEL if you consume more than you produce that day you rEC

What this shows is that except for an odd day the solar system produced more power every.single.day. than the home needed.

We don't have the same billing ad Alberta. Just 14.5 cents a kwh for power, carbon tax, and gst line items.

The basic charge is around $40 I gotta go look at a solar bill

Comment

TY Klause.

Comment

Thanks for the real world solar numbers and explanations. I never dreamed that more energy would be produced in Winter months than is consumed with the short days and huge demand for lights and heat. Might be more potential than I realized. More so if affordable storage for the excess solar power happens.

I see a lot of job creation happening with design engineers, installers, trouble shooters, wire manufacture and sales, etc. Hopefully Canada can get going and be world leaders instead of farming this all out to other countries.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...