• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People 's grocery bill expected to go up...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burnt View Post
    This is last week's report from OLEX, likely one of the biggest fed Holstein steer markets around. It gives a pretty good picture of the discount at the live level.

https://www.ontariobeef.com/markets/auction-markets/olex-thurs.aspx https://www.ontariobeef.com/markets/auction-markets/olex-thurs.aspx

I don't think I have ever shipped Holstein's direct to packer, but do recall that there is a bit of a price trim for the black and whites - maybe a dime on the rail? And then there can be carcass weight penalties.

I have sat and watched that OLEX sale at times and often wonder how much corn some of those big buggers ate to reach 1850 lbs. Some of those great big guys can be about 1800 - 1900 hundred when they finish and man are they ever nice and round! They bring a higher price than a nice 1600 lbs steer, but still they seem uneconomical to me when you consider the feed conversion at that size. I've wondered how it works for anyone.

If anyone ever travels to Ontario and takes a look around, I would highly recommend stopping at the OLEX livestock sale and Farmer's market on a Thursday - the place is buzzing.

The Farmer's market, housed in 3 large buildings with hundreds of vendors, has everything - especially a great selection and variety of foods - meat vendors with counters full of the most beautiful selection of fresh meats of every description, fruit sellers, food vendors. Too many hawkers for me, but all interesting.

Oh man - the freshly deep-fried apple fritters, the big soft pretzels, Oktoberfest sausages, pizzas, endless variety.

I've often said that it's the best place around where i can go and spend 20 bucks and gain 10 pounds...

But we haven't been there this year since - - - the WuFlu. Some things like that just burn...

As for the best meat - I don't really know. I think it depends on starting with the best animal and aging process. We have had a lot of Black Angus over the years and they can be unbeatable for flavour and texture. But then I remember butchering a young, fat Simmental one time - yes, the two can happen together!!!- and thought it was the best meat we ever had.

But these last two barley-fed Holsteins seem to have set the bar just that much higher. And that's feedback coming from our customers, not just our own experience.

And yes, I have had a bit too much smoke coming from the BBQ at times, especially with Angus on the grill...but that's not where the handle came from. I think it came from hitting the wall one too many times a few years back...
    Thanks, I agree finishing cattle is not for the faint of heart. I'd like to know exactly how much a packer nets on a finished steer. They made a lot of money during BSE.

I don't have a problem with guys hitting the wall once in a while, it shows you're trying harder than most and may only have a problem with depth perception.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      The hidden cost of the carbon tax
      All those costs being passed down to the average customer .
      It’s not just fuel .....
      $30/tonne now

$170/tonne tax in 2030.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...