• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If ya think cattle are stupid in brush

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If ya think cattle are stupid in brush

Sheep are worse

Its hot and they have a thick coat, nice to see they have some shade.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
      Its hot and they have a thick coat, nice to see they have some shade.
      Trying to move em.......

Actually the wool is a insulation warm in winter cool in summer..

Dogs hopeless kept chasing rabbits rather than job at hand.

You efficient guy never have 3 hour jobs that blow out to 5 not the Canadian way utopia

Comment

Couple of neighbors keep sheep close to houseyard in pens all year with dogs on duty. Any sheep close to bush end up as coyote treats. They do claim at todays prices they pencil out better than cow calf venture.

Comment

They won’t move mallee? Lol. You just gotta get the first one to move! Your flock is probably too big for the old grain in a bucket trick?

We have a lot of bush on our land that the sheep graze and utilize. Coyotes are only a problem if you have issues with the perimeter fence, the guard dogs are useless, or you aren’t moving the sheep enough, IMO. It also doesn’t hurt to take out as many coyotes each winter as possible to lower the chance of a problem coyote, just based on population density numbers.

And yes, sheep pencil in my view, far better than cattle, and not just at high prices. All things being equal, they are close to twice as productive in my estimation. The math is pretty easy really.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
            Couple of neighbors keep sheep close to houseyard in pens all year with dogs on duty. Any sheep close to bush end up as coyote treats. They do claim at todays prices they pencil out better than cow calf venture.
            These days a shopping cart and collecting cans out of dumpsters is close to penciling out better than the cow calf side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarms View Post
              These days a shopping cart and collecting cans out of dumpsters is close to penciling out better than the cow calf side of things.
              Agreed ..but why are bred heifers selling for so much?

I was feeling optimistic about cattle until I read that Vilsack is contemplating COOL ...wonder if the canadian government will issue sanctions or tariffs if that happens or will they just say they dont want a trade war with the USA...probably not enough cow calf operations in Quebec...
              Last edited by bucket; Feb 3, 2021, 08:03.

Comment

What happened to that new trade agreement the bobble head did such a good job on.
                Why isn't she the lead on this .
                Or at least in the acting PM's ear when he talks to anybody smarter.

Comment

Vanscoy bison sale today at McDougall Auction. $525 for open heifers and rest of herd going as a block.

Comment

Vanscoy bison sale today at McDougall Auction. $525 for open heifers and rest of herd going as a block.
                    They should do like what guys did with pigs ...just let them go....it won't be long before this country is back to buffalo and grass with Trudeau at the helm.

Comment

5 hours left. My experience with these stupid auctions is that everyone goes nuts in the last half hour to hour. I’m now watching it.

I say stupid auctions, because ppl are stupid. I see so much stuff sell for more than new prices are. Was watching a bunch of items yesterday. Had bids at reasonable prices up until 20 minutes left. Then the idiots came on, bid it up to new prices. Plus they have a 15% buyers fee. Ppl are simply put, dumb.

If ever I have something to sell, it’s going to McDougall. I think it’s the cats meow if you want to sell. I could sell used Kleenex in my garbage can during Covid for fifty bucks I’m sure. I don’t know why I have watch lists. I got three good deals ever. Lol

Comment

Sorry Mallee, I would never, ever think sheep are smarter than cattle. Even in bush 😂

Comment

I've heard many things about sheep but never had the pleasure.

Comment

R sheep this stupid in the bush?

Yes, that's a tree branch stuck in a steers azz. Was in there a day and a half before I got him in the squeeze to remove it. He had some infection from an internal tear but is doing great now.

Comment

Ouch! Years ago, we were trucking around our bush pasture just to check things out, when we came upon a yearling heifer whose head was stuck in a V-shaped tree. She had punched down the ground around the roots and was royally stuck. We both pushed up on her head and managed to set her free. Otherwise, I'm sure she would have died there.

And speaking of stupid in the bush.....once had to have an emergency sh*t while haying. Came upon a small copse of trees which looked like good cover for doing my business. In my haste to do what I had to do, I poked my eye on a branch. Didn't know whether to sh*t or go blind.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...