• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guys with livestock.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it would need to be a larger herd kept in tight quarters to do efficient bale grazing without feeders. I couldn’t do it, don’t have enough animals. If they get a bale without a ring then they think they’re starving in two days while they stand on top of it and bellow.

Comment

I have a friend that rotationally grazings his milking dairy cows. Moves them twice a day. Tissue samples the grass weekly to balance his ration. He is organic and says going to grass fed has been the most profitable change he has made in 35 years of dairy farming. Grass varieties are key for his high nutritional needs. Also has a unique irrigation system sprinkler pods spaced on a long length of hose that he can drag behind the quad.

He had a sister in law in NZ and when he visited it got him interested in giving it a go. It has been close to 10 years now and the cows know the program. I think it is a new half acre paddock every 12 hrs for 100. Followed by dry cows and rested for 60 to 80 days.

Comment

Most guys home 1/4 s the most fertile here because animal byproducts spread there every year or years ago. I think the trace minerals from the feeding program have something to do with that but I could be wrong. Seams these days we are trying different things fertwise in the grain side to boost yields. Some years if it wasn't for the shitpile I woundn't have anything to show for my work.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
          Most guys home 1/4 s the most fertile here because animal byproducts spread there every year or years ago....

Some years if it wasn't for the shitpile I woundn't have anything to show for my work.
          Had a farm rented many years ago where the barn had been empty for over a decade - but the 10 acre field right next to it evidently got all the manure because the bean crop there was so lush that it got white mold and wizzled up to almost nothing!!

Got an expensive lesson last year in mis-management of the manure pile - yup, I can even mess that up... :-(

Spread it in the spring as usual, worked it in and planted corn. Reduced the NPK application on that section by textbook credits - big mistake.

The actual value was evidently lower than estimated, and the decomposing straw content took nitrogen away from the corn. And this all happened in a perfect growing season after a dry start.

Last fall the yield monitor showed a significant difference between the two sections of field, the manured side had about a ~25 bu yield drag. Ouch.

There will likely be a benefit in the soys on that piece this year - at least that's how I am consoling myself for my mistake.

Talk about an old dog committing a rookie screw up.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
            Had a farm rented many years ago where the barn had been empty for over a decade - but the 10 acre field right next to it evidently got all the manure because the bean crop there was so lush that it got white mold and wizzled up to almost nothing!!

Got an expensive lesson last year in mis-management of the manure pile - yup, I can even mess that up... :-(

Spread it in the spring as usual, worked it in and planted corn. Reduced the NPK application on that section by textbook credits - big mistake.

The actual value was evidently lower than estimated, and the decomposing straw content took nitrogen away from the corn. And this all happened in a perfect growing season after a dry start.

Last fall the yield monitor showed a significant difference between the two sections of field, the manured side had about a ~25 bu yield drag. Ouch.

There will likely be a benefit in the soys on that piece this year - at least that's how I am consoling myself for my mistake.

Talk about an old dog committing a rookie screw up.
            You should read the new code of practice for all that...then you would be able to say you are following voluntary rules...no sense in learning from mistakes ...just follow the code of practice and all will be fine...

(sarcasm)

Comment

Originally posted by DaneG View Post
              Waste vs cost of feeders vs fertility value needs to be reconciled by each operation.
              As for the cost of feeders. Compared to the loaded diesel truck, the aluminum stock trailer, the top of the line hydraulic squeeze chute, the new mfwd tractor, new baler etc., feeders are easily te item with the best ROI on any cattle farm. Possibly the only thing in that list with a measurable ROI.

Comment

Great reading thread. I have been unrolling my hay for a few years now. I plan to build a better unroller this summer to be able to do a more even job of it. Seeded several acres of pasture this way. Pretty crazy how it works. My hay is pretty economical and I am one of those who don’t look at it as waste. Long term I hope to have our entire land block fenced. I really want to stubble graze, stockpile, unroll hay on fields that need it most etc. It would be nice to have the freedom to move the animals at will, but year round. Tricky here because of the snow we get and our limited access to our wild out of the way lands in winter.

It would be great to not start a tractor all winter. I set out a bunch of bales before the last cold snap, and did a short term bale graze. It’s funny because the sheep go to all the bales, but they don’t seem to have the strength to get at the hay until I take the twines off so it works great. So I set a new batch out yesterday hope it’s good for ten days. I just go open them up and fork a bunch in a donut around the bale and a pile of sheep can then fit in that small space. The previous bale residue becomes home base for bedding down. They do clean it up pretty good, so long as the hay is good hay. I have some greenfeed that they are more picky about. But I wintering the on a badly overgrazed pasture that I’ve been using while my pasture size was limited. It needs the residue and fertility.

One thing I’ve been wondering about is using the sheep as my spring burn down. The way they graze with their narrow mouths, and their non selective nature, I wonder if it may work on a small scale at least. They can lay a field bare if you let them tarry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                  Great reading thread. I have been unrolling my hay for a few years now. I plan to build a better unroller this summer to be able to do a more even job of it.
                  I personally think on frozen ground, especially with a small amount of snow rolling them out is the least waste and the best spreading of manure and residue. I use feeders in the corral and sometimes in the spring when its muddy if I dont have dry sod to feed on, otherwise they still pull the feed out and stand on it, and leaves rings of shit wherever the feeder is plus compaction. Daily feeding works best for me as it gives you a chance to see if someone's sick or unhappy.

I feed with a gas pickup and bale handler, half silage bales and half dry feed. I can feed 3 bales plus bed a bale all in about 30 mins from key on to key off, days I use the tractor it's double time at least. Works easy and economical for me and my small number of cows. I spoiled myself and put in cattle guards to wintering fields and have a garage door opener on a heated shop for the truck, only time I get out of the truck is to remove twine/wrap. I havent bale grazed myself but have not been impressed watching others try, was popular here 8 or 10 yrs ago, havent seen anyone doing it this year. Have swath grazed, works ok but to do it right takes a fair bit of effort.

I agree with AF5's comment about the value of manure. Most guys look at it as a waste product, I try to look at it as a resource. Feed on knoles and hillsides, makes a huge difference over time.

I do use bale feeders for the sheep but only because they are corralled in the winter. Only top quality and I make them clean it up, they can be very wasteful creatures.

Comment

When we had our cows numbers up I built a 3 point hitch bale unroller, slickest thing ever.

One of what I felt the biggest advantages of it was that all the cows got the same chance at the feed for all their feeding time. This was especially valuable when they were getting a mixed quality of feed - the big bosses didn't get to push the smaller ones away from the better stuff.

And as mentioned, come springtime the manure was already spread.

The downside was that in wet or muddy conditions the waste would go sky high. And yes, I called it waste since it could double the feed cost. So they had to push in around the feeders at those times.

One year I was feeding some very mature grass hay. The seeds from it took off over the next year or so and remained visible in the strips where those bales were unrolled for years after..
                    Last edited by burnt; Feb 5, 2021, 03:15.

Comment

Just about all guys still in cattle in this area have gone to corn grazing or silage. Mix silage with local grain by products to lower costs and feed in bunkers, tires, or frozen ground. Land to pricey for lots of hay ground and can't get ins. good enough for it. Like rotational grazing but grasshoppers can be hard to move with cattle so pasture sometimes doesn't come back. Seems like daily work required whether eating green grass or using mixing wagons . Took Steve Kenyon course years ago and he has good ideas about buying your nutrients to improve land but on dry years you can't find feed or can't afford it. I think that's why young pups buy bigger air drills instead.

Comment

Props to guys running livestock in this weather. Yikes

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/dangerous-cold-set-to-flood-the-prairies-as-the-polar-vortex-sinks

Comment

We have tried swath grazing. In the mid 2000's we successfully swath grazed an oat crop for 2 years. The 3rd year we had a huge crop, laid it all down, did some temp fencing for the winter grazing season. It was October, cows were all still out on pasture. Overnight it snowed 3 feet. Got the cattle home, not without a lot of trouble. Started swath grazing the oats. It just kept snowing.....and snowing. Gave up on the cross fencing. Had to open up the ends of the swaths - cattle couldn't find them. Then tried to plow down the swaths. Futile. Gave up on it. Lots of deer and elk lived pretty good that winter. That was the last time we did any swath grazing. Here's the interesting thing. The ground did not freeze before we got all the snow. It was a heavy crop and it had a ton of snow on it. The swaths must of composted where they lay. For a few years after, whatever grew on those strips outperformed whatever grew between the swaths. It must have looked pretty neat from the air.

Comment

Originally posted by littledoggie View Post
                            We have tried swath grazing. In the mid 2000's we successfully swath grazed an oat crop for 2 years. The 3rd year we had a huge crop, laid it all down, did some temp fencing for the winter grazing season. It was October, cows were all still out on pasture. Overnight it snowed 3 feet. Got the cattle home, not without a lot of trouble. Started swath grazing the oats. It just kept snowing.....and snowing. Gave up on the cross fencing. Had to open up the ends of the swaths - cattle couldn't find them. Then tried to plow down the swaths. Futile. Gave up on it. Lots of deer and elk lived pretty good that winter. That was the last time we did any swath grazing. Here's the interesting thing. The ground did not freeze before we got all the snow. It was a heavy crop and it had a ton of snow on it. The swaths must of composted where they lay. For a few years after, whatever grew on those strips outperformed whatever grew between the swaths. It must have looked pretty neat from the air.
                            Definitely crop adds to the soil. I had a neighbour in about 2005 or so took off about 2,000 bushel of really tough wheat that he piled. So it heated and in the summer to deal with the rats he loaded it up in his manure spreader and spread it on a patch of crested wheat near his farm. To this day you can still see where he drove.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...