• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain bags

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grain bags ? grain bins ? All elevators empty by year end and miles of empty grain cars parked beside. 200 boats in Vancouver waiting,waiting,waiting. HAUL $20 canola straight from combine ( with new petes and super B'S ) . All grain checks in hand by Sept 15 , what could possibly go wrong ?********

Comment

At some point somebody’s gonna figure out a way to just fill sea-cans at the side of the road and cut out the middlemen

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
        At some point somebody’s gonna figure out a way to just fill sea-cans at the side of the road and cut out the middlemen
        Watched AGT filling cans with what looked with wheat at Regina. They used a Batco with the down spout off. They backed the can into the conveyor, moved once while filling. Didn't look they used any sort of bulkhead at the door.

We did buy some bags yesterday. We may not need them but it is a pain to chase down bags at harvest time.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
          Watched AGT filling cans with what looked with wheat at Regina. They used a Batco with the down spout off. They backed the can into the conveyor, moved once while filling. Didn't look they used any sort of bulkhead at the door.

We did buy some bags yesterday. We may not need them but it is a pain to chase down bags at harvest time.
          I can see big grain carts set up like fertilizer tenders with a conveyor on the back to just fill cans, just have roll off trucks or even drones bring empty ones out and take the full ones to a siding.
          When you see 10,000 trucks lined up in Brazil at a port that can handle 500 trucks/day, eventually somebody’s going to come along with something totally disruptive

Comment

Originally posted by dalek View Post
            Funny you should mention that. I was having lunch with two guys from CN. They wanted to run an idea by me that they were proud of.

It was exactly that. Fill containers directly in the field. I said ok, how are weights, grade and dockage going to dealt with? What kind of supply of containers would be available? Or trucks to shuttle containers from the field to the railyard?

You could see that I was being a buzzkill as the enthusiasm wained.

Might be good for farmers within a half hour of the city but it wasn't going to keep up to a province wide harvest .

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
              Funny you should mention that. I was having lunch with two guys from CN. They wanted to run an idea by me that they were proud of.

It was exactly that. Fill containers directly in the field. I said ok, how are weights, grade and dockage going to dealt with? What kind of supply of containers would be available? Or trucks to shuttle containers from the field to the railyard?

You could see that I was being a buzzkill as the enthusiasm wained.

Might be good for farmers within a half hour of the city but it wasn't going to keep up to a province wide harvest .

Agreed.

Would we be having the container conversation if all the branch lines and smaller elevator had not all been dismantled.

Again farmers trucking their grain to facilitate the railways and grain companies, with more roads getting the shit pounded out of them.
              Last edited by foragefarmer; Feb 20, 2021, 11:40.

Comment

Only a small amount of grain ends up in containers, either specialty crops or small markets. Majority is moved by bulk and dealt with in smaller load methods at the destination port.
                Also unloading containers requires special handling equipment (hydraulic tipper platforms and conveyors).

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...