• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

plant breeders’ rights penalty

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tweety View Post
    Y'all too busy participating in the White Power conference in Florida to discuss off patent herbicide tolerance seed owned by farmers?
    Tweety

Do you think the checkoff fund groups could or should take ownership of varieties with the amount of funding they provide for R&D for new varieties?

Or take ownership of varieties they helped develop when being de-registered?

Do all farmers need the latest and greatest varieties when weather impacts downgrading factors as much as the gene needled into a new variety?

For instance the fusarium year of 2016 wasn't from the seed I used, because I used the same seed in 2017 with no issues ....It was all created by the weather we had.

Comment

I seriously doubt the big seed companies have anything to worry about. Farmers are way too lazy in Canada to do anything like saving millions and having their own HT canola - because that makes good business sense. Better to spend time arguing and losing against rules that the CSTA can dream up to hold your nuts to the fire.
      Are big seed companies questioning 1 lb/acre seeding rates? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Good for us lazy farmers to see our resident farm policy expert hard at work shaming us.

There have been dozens of varieties that have come off patent and into farmers hands for us only for the govt to succumb to big lobbying and get them deregistered. A few yrs ago you could plant an off patent canola variety until the big companies strong armed all the guys who held it and they quickly dumped their supply.

Takes more than just development of something in your basement with the local university egghead to get it to market.

Why havent US farmers developed their own corn and soy seed. The US wheat crop is insignificant compared to those crops so I guess Monsanto doesnt care if farmers flirt with some university.

Wonder if Tweety heard of Triffid before? Thats the first thing that would happen if farmers developed their own supply. Gezus they dont even want Nexera mixed with anything else or they reject entire entire loads.

Lentils were almost exclusively bred and develop here by farmers and the UofS team. they were successful in getting the varieties adapted and for a while it was gangbusters, but what did they miss? A functional herbicide to go along with it. Thats where the big boys stepped back in, didnt take over the seed supply, but developed the only working chemical for it and charge big money for it and reglone to boot. So your seed is free, but your chemical is $40 an acre.

Unless farmers are supposed to start their own chem plants too? Why not fertilizer. Hell why not our own machine line.

Farmers can make millions of dollars in owning the stocks of these parasites, not trying to out compete them.
        Last edited by jazz; Mar 7, 2021, 09:47.

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
          Not to change the subject but I wonder why there are 240 soybean varieties with novel trait up for cancellation?

https://www.inspection.gc.ca/plant-varieties/variety-registration/registered-varieties-and-cancellations/registration-cancellations/eng/1410971290935/1410971291748 https://www.inspection.gc.ca/plant-varieties/variety-registration/registered-varieties-and-cancellations/registration-cancellations/eng/1410971290935/1410971291748
          What the h€ll?

I picture the soup guy saying, No traits for you!

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            Good for us lazy farmers to see our resident farm policy expert hard at work shaming us.

There have been dozens of varieties that have come off patent and into farmers hands for us only for the govt to succumb to big lobbying and get them deregistered. A few yrs ago you could plant an off patent canola variety until the big companies strong armed all the guys who held it and they quickly dumped their supply.

Takes more than just development of something in your basement with the local university egghead to get it to market.

Why havent US farmers developed their own corn and soy seed. The US wheat crop is insignificant compared to those crops so I guess Monsanto doesnt care if farmers flirt with some university.

Wonder if Tweety heard of Triffid before? Thats the first thing that would happen if farmers developed their own supply. Gezus they dont even want Nexera mixed with anything else or they reject entire entire loads.

Lentils were almost exclusively bred and develop here by farmers and the UofS team. they were successful in getting the varieties adapted and for a while it was gangbusters, but what did they miss? A functional herbicide to go along with it. Thats where the big boys stepped back in, didnt take over the seed supply, but developed the only working chemical for it and charge big money for it and reglone to boot. So your seed is free, but your chemical is $40 an acre.

Unless farmers are supposed to start their own chem plants too? Why not fertilizer. Hell why not our own machine line.

Farmers can make millions of dollars in owning the stocks of these parasites, not trying to out compete them.
            Once again you show your complete lack of knowledge in every subject.

In this case, the difference between events, germplasm and varieties.

Like I said, farmers in Canada completely lack the ability to make positive change but excel at complaining about the situation. With your post, it confirms this 100%. Good luck loser.

This is a timely opportunity, be sure to throw it all away like everything else.

Comment

Like I said, farmers in Canada completely lack the ability to make positive change but excel at complaining about the situation. With your post, it confirms this 100%. Good luck loser.
              Sorry tweety, didnt see your post. I was collecting my Nutrien dividends.

ps, Go fck yourself.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...