• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck explain?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
    You can see shrinking glaciers! David Schindler was very clear about the impact losing glaciers will have on fresh water.

"But this way of thinking about Canada’s freshwater is misleading, Schindler said, because what sustains that water supply is runoff. With climate change already affecting Canada’s glaciers and increasing incidents of drought, our freshwater supply is in danger.

“You can’t talk about water without talking about climate change,” Schindler said. “We know that the snow packs in these mountain ranges are dwindling as last winter gave us a good example of. The glaciers supply a tiny amount of the total annual flow of a river but it comes at a critical time of the hot, dry summer.”

Schindler said the Bow River Glacier can supply up to 50 per cent of the river’s water during dry spells. But he said, over the last century, the Bow River Glacier has dramatically retreated threatening water supply for cities like Calgary as well as the cold water necessary to sustain the river’s famous cold water fish species during the hotter months of July to September.
    Wildfires, Both Cause and Outcome of Climate Change, Consume Freshwater
    Good thing the Forests were saturated last year in most of western Canada with an abundance of rainfall . Rivers and lakes at highest levels in decades
    Last edited by furrowtickler; Mar 16, 2021, 09:40.

Comment

AF5

Glaciations occurred even during the Miocene era.
      https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0031018282900037 https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0031018282900037
      "In South America at latitude 47°S, till was deposited sometime between 7 m.y. and 4.6 m.y. ago, at a time when the local climate was colder than today's. During this same interval glaciers extended to sea level in southeast Alaska, and widespread cooling of the ocean surface in middle latitudes, worldwide marine regression and change in the oxygen isotopic composition of ocean water occurred..."
      https://www.nature.com/articles/ngeo2813/ https://www.nature.com/articles/ngeo2813/
      During the late Miocene epoch, about seven million years ago, large areas of the continents experienced drying, enhanced seasonality, and a restructuring of terrestrial plant and animal communities. These changes are seen throughout the subtropics, but have typically been attributed to regional tectonic forcing. Here we present a set of globally distributed sea surface temperature records spanning the past 12 million years based on the alkenone unsaturation method. We find that a sustained late Miocene cooling occurred synchronously in both hemispheres, and culminated with ocean temperatures dipping to near-modern values between about 7 and 5.4 million years ago. The period of maximum cooling coincides with evidence for transient glaciations in the Northern Hemisphere and with a steepening of the pole-to-equator temperature gradient, as well. We thus infer that late Miocene aridity and terrestrial ecosystem changes occurred in a global context of increasing meridional temperature gradients. We conclude that a global forcing mechanism, such as the previously hypothesized decline in atmospheric CO2 levels between eight and six million years ago, is required to explain the late Miocene changes in temperature, climate and ecosystems.

Comment

AF5, if instead of pulling out just point I made about continental drift, you would have included the next sentence about earth being a molten mass you would have realized I was referring to other factors that influence climate, and not stating that continents were in a different position during the miocene era which of course they were not! Although it is during that era when the Himalayas were created if you are interested as a result of the Indian subcontinent pushing northward.

But that is okay, anything to deflect the conversation away from the original point of my posts on this site, that 415 ppm currently is higher than the 300 ppm that was the maximum measured level of CO2 in the last 800,000 years, and that current levels are not the lowest in the history of the world as Saskfarmer claimed in the very first post. Math must be hard!

And by distracting you do not have to come up with any reasons why this sudden increase in CO2 has happened or what the impact on climate this may have. We know it is better for plants, but only if plants have everything else they need to support more growth such as precipitation.
        Last edited by dmlfarmer; Mar 16, 2021, 09:35.

Comment

FIRST one must "believe" the C02 planetary #'s....too much room for errors, doctored data, who benefits from change. All within margin of error, so nothing to see. Go on living, you can't change a thing, planet is too big to care about Canada's 1.6%.

Of course don't pollute! C02 is NOT pollution! That's a incorrect scare tactic.

Comment

I think governments believe that they can create more jobs by forcing the retooling of our industrial infrastructure. They are trying to create a new commodity boom. What interests me is how does the environmental disturbance compare between mining for the the elements needed for mass electrification compared to what we do now?! I was listening to Bill Gates being interviewed one day, he was talking about how carbon intensive concrete was an example and how greening concrete production would double its cost! One thing is guaranteed and that is that everything we do is going to become more expensive and that the size and cost of government is going to increase at a faster rate. I do however feel some sympathy for those who believe governments can solve our problems, governments today are run by special interest groups not by the desire to create sound legislation! As I have said before there are many things that will make farming profitably in the future more difficult but for me climate change isn’t even on the radar so I find arguing about it truly a waste of time. The price and availability of land, machinery costs, input costs like fertilizer and seed, government regulation and taxation all are much higher up the list!!

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
              I’m no scientist but logic tells me that temperatures would naturally increase exponentially as an ice age recedes.
              Does an ice cube in a drink not seem to stay solid for a long time and then quickly disappear? Maybe not a good analogy???
              Dear Chuck,

Please explain how you are going to control the Heat and radiation given off by the SUN?

Human activity has a minor influence in determining the temperature of our home planet Earth.

Common Sense is needed to figure out what humans need to do... READ OUR INSTRUCTION MANUAL THAT THE CREATOR OF HUMANITY [AND PLANET EARTH] GAVE ALL OF US TO FOLLOW.

If this is above your capacity of intellect... that is not the fault of those people whom take the time and effort to follow the instructions the engineers who created humanity and Planet Earth; then your demise is your responsibility... since humanity has been given 'Free Will' and the capacity to understand we are responsible for our actions.

The rich man and Lazarus [Luke 16]
              19 ‘There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
              22 ‘The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, “Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.”
              25 ‘But Abraham replied, “Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.”
              27 ‘He answered, “Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.”
              29 ‘Abraham replied, “They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.”
              30 ‘ “No, father Abraham,” he said, “but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.”
              31 ‘He said to him, “If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.” ’

'The Fear of God is the beginning of all Wisdom.

God controls the Sun... and therefore we are responsible to be charitable loving people who respect our blessings and planet we have been given... following the instructions our creators who engeneered each one of us; has revealed to each one of us!

Many Blessings! This is truly the 'Global Warming' we should be concerned with the most! [The Rich Man burning in the fires of Hades]

Happy St Patrick's Day!!!

Cheers
              Last edited by TOM4CWB; Mar 17, 2021, 00:56.

Comment

Dml, you managed two great long posts that in no way addressed the issue I brought up.
                I have no idea why you first brought up anything about the Miocene, or how it was relevant to the discussion. But you present yourself as the final arbitrer of all things BS, and as the foremost expert on CO2. Yet you blissfully (and repeatedly) disseminated the impossible claim of 100 ppm, taken from a known unreliable source. Yet we are supposed to "believe" everything else you say about this subject.
                If that number didn't trigger alarm bells, then it calls into question your critical thinking abilities, and comprehension of the science on the entire Global Warming file.
                As I've been questioning Chuck for years, why would you waste so much time and emotion preaching about a subject, yet spend almost none learning and at least attempting to understand it?
                It would be huge for the collective credibility of your side of the debate. This type of armchair alarmism( and that includes the ignorant alarmist wikipedia editor) is doing more harm to the cause you supposedly support.
                And after all that, you don't even acknowledge the gross error, but move on to new accusations.
                Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Mar 18, 2021, 22:12.

Comment

Why do you refuse to acknowledge that in the 800,000 years
                  Why cherry pick that sliver of time, that represents 0.017% of the history of the earth? It would 15 seconds to midnight if the history of the earth were a 24 hour day.
                  And more importantly, why do you cherry pick this era, then choose an epoch 23 million years ago (throughout most of which CO2 levels were much higher than today) to compare it to?

And why are you arguing about glaciers in the Miocene. Parts of that epoch were below 500 ppm, all was below 1000 ppm. As per the link posted earlier:
                  all cool events are associated with CO2 levels below 1000 ppm. A CO2 threshold of below 500 ppm is suggested for the initiation of widespread, continental glaciations,
                  . Of course there was glaciation, but what does that have to do with the discussion topic?

We can debate the cause/ correlation or lack thereof and associated evidence to go along with the above quote if you would like.
                  Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Mar 18, 2021, 16:04.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...