• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three important issues in W.Canada agriculture

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three important issues in W.Canada agriculture

1. Sales Reporting.....have some of you guys not lost enough or not willing to admit it yet?

2. Carbon sequestering...you won't see a penny for investment in no till farming while every other industry will be given handouts to improve and be given the credits after into the future....

3. Input pricing is nuts....farmable acres overall haven't changed required supply shouldn't have changed much either...

To the above three is any farm group representing these issues...IMHO the guys that live on per diems are doing sweet phuck all.

I would also like to know why the people that live off checkoff dollars cant do their job.

The checkoffs are just a redefined tax....but its a tax imposed by the commissions ...no different than a carbon tax imposed by Trudeau....

And in both cases there seems to be very little value in them.
    Last edited by bucket; Mar 18, 2021, 07:16.

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    1. Sales Reporting.....have some of you guys not lost enough or not willing to admit it yet?

2. Carbon sequestering...you won't see a penny for investment in no till farming while every other industry will be given handouts to improve and be given the credits after into the future....

3. Input pricing is nuts....farmable acres overall haven't changed required supply shouldn't have changed much either...

To the above three is any farm group representing these issues...IMHO the guys that live on per diems are doing sweet phuck all.

I would also like to know why the people that live off checkoff dollars cant do their job.

The checkoffs are just a redefined tax....but its a tax imposed by the commissions ...no different than a carbon tax imposed by Trudeau....

And in both cases there seems to be very little value in them.
    From a competitiveness standpoint the fact that farmers in the U.S. are not subject to a carbon tax and are being offered carbon credits for carbon sequestration is huge! This is a double whammy for farmers. In Canada our government is taking the carbon tax from business and farmers and rebating it to people living in the cities where the votes are! It is a moronic wealth distribution scheme disguised as climate policy, absolute bullschit!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
      From a competitiveness standpoint the fact that farmers in the U.S. are not subject to a carbon tax and are being offered carbon credits for carbon sequestration is huge! This is a double whammy for farmers. In Canada our government is taking the carbon tax from business and farmers and rebating it to people living in the cities where the votes are! It is a moronic wealth distribution scheme disguised as climate policy, absolute bullschit!!
      And who can you call about it?

Your conservative MP probably doesn't give a shit.

Your MLA probably doesn't understand what is written above.

The farm groups obviously don't give a shit. How can the national umbrella groups that get to talk to federal politicians and bureaucrats allow the carbon offset announcement without raising shit?

The liberals are going to get a majority and continue to take from western canadian farmers...because no one gives a shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
        Yup , and it’s hard to believe some farmers actually promoting carbon tax and denouncing carbon credits... unless it may fit their own little world and everyone else pays but them if they fallow the “code” and go all regenerative Ag .
        It’s a play book from the Quebec carbon scheme... set up the rules so that everyone else pays but a select few .
        That’s all fine until Bill Gates and others convince everyone that raising livestock is killing the environment , and they are well on their way. Then Regen Ag becomes not very viable without livestock...
        time will tell how this all plays out

Comment

I hear ya, those issues are real and they hurt the profitability of farms. That being said, other than SPG, we can take our check off back if we don't like how its spent. I encourage you to do so if you are unhappy. The glaring fact in front of me is what is being paid for land. It not some big investor buying either, its the guys down the road. Land prices are going up, up up. Are these guys all nuts? I guess they think they can make money?
          IMO we have so poor choices in politics, the left are a joke and have lost any rural agrarian support that the CCF once had so no help there. The Lib's we all know about and it will take a generation or two before any expectation of them having western support. So that leaves us with the either the PC's or the western separation party. If we vote maverick it guarantees the Libs will win federally. Say we elect a bunch of separtists, how long it would the effort be to push through western separation? From what I understand the separation support is pretty low and its going to be a effort to get a majority to go this way. Maybe over a 20 year period ? So back to the PC's, they know there is no body else close to them in the west and they are spending all their time and effort trying to convince the east that they are a good alternative to the Libs. I'm sure I am no different than you and shake your head as to how the east can support Trudeau?

Comment

Was going to add or detract to your list items. But I think we can boil them all to one.
            I don't know what the political lobby industry looks like in this country.
            But it's easy to wonder about things we can't see.
            We can't seem to modify our parliamentary system to fit our diverse reality so the system modifies the reality.
            So all we as business men have left is a loud lobby group. And I'm starting to believe we've done a lousy job of that.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
              And who can you call about it?

Your conservative MP probably doesn't give a shit.

Your MLA probably doesn't understand what is written above.

The farm groups obviously don't give a shit. How can the national umbrella groups that get to talk to federal politicians and bureaucrats allow the carbon offset announcement without raising shit?

The liberals are going to get a majority and continue to take from western canadian farmers...because no one gives a shit.
              Can you imagine Con's or anyone going to the city people now and saying we are going to take your Carbon Tax checks away from you in fact we are going to start paying farmers carbon tax credits now instead and that might have to come out of your pay check.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                Can you imagine Con's or anyone going to the city people now and saying we are going to take your Carbon Tax checks away from you in fact we are going to start paying farmers carbon tax credits now instead and that might have to come out of your pay check.
                Why not just acknowledge the carbon sequestration to off set the carbon tax’s ?
                We are being targeted, end of story

Comment

That would be political suicide for the Liberals. The optics in the Urban centers is of a farmer with thousands of acres and the equipment to farm them, which are worth millions. While they live in a 2 room apartment on the 30th floor with numerous members of their family. Don't even entertain the thought that we as producers are the victim of higher taxes.

Like I posted in another thread I don't know why some of you are so hung up on having government help on the carbon tax/sequestration issue, they simply are not going to do it because they couldn't give a rats ass about you.

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
                    That would be political suicide for the Liberals. The optics in the Urban centers is of a farmer with thousands of acres and the equipment to farm them, which are worth millions. While they live in a 2 room apartment on the 30th floor with numerous members of their family. Don't even entertain the thought that we as producers are the victim of higher taxes.

Like I posted in another thread I don't know why some of you are so hung up on having government help on the carbon tax/sequestration issue, they simply are not going to do it because they couldn't give a rats ass about you.
                    The liberals took away everybodys tax credit for using public transportation 2 years ago and nobody said BOO !

Comment

Do you understand how hard farmers will be hit with a $170/tonne carbon tax and how this will disproportionately penalize rural areas?

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                        Do you understand how hard farmers will be hit with a $170/tonne carbon tax and how this will disproportionately penalize rural areas?
                        Ralph Goodale said farmers won’t be effected by carbon tax ....

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                            Yes I understand and don't like the whole tax issue, but do you think any of the other parties would take it off it/when they are elected? I don't think so it is just a finger pointing tactic. Not one has stood up and said they would get rid of the Carbon Tax or even what they would do with it. Look at Alberta they got rid of the NDP carbon tax and didn't replace it so it went back to Fed tax and now they just point at Feds they could have paid it all back to farmers if they wanted.

Comment

Did you know Alberta is a world leader in carbon credit programs? (This may have changed the last few years as it’s been that long since I heard it and there was a political flop in that time...)

Either way, I know of for sure one company, memory is saying another one or two as well, that actually work towards and create the carbon offset programs here. When I spoke to one of the guys they were looking at putting online pasture restoration and pasture conservation programs within the next decade. There was already the min til credits offered but he did say that program was going to change. And lo and behold!

If the MPs and MLAs aren’t working for you, maybe speak with the companies setting up this program. I really need to get in touch with the presenter I seen as I wanted his power point presentation, but I don’t believe on any level he said the governments were going to be the big players. It’s the private market that’s going to pay for credits. Much like VBP+ working towards payouts for beef that fit their criteria, companies like McDonalds and General Mills have made big promises for their carbon footprint and in short periods of time. Get the info for what criteria they’re going to be looking for. Talk to the carbon credit program developers. Be ready to sell your products into a market that is going to privately pay for how you’re managing your farms, not the government.

The catch here is get organized to start doing the things they’re going to want to do, but don’t really start doing them yet. Most programs sneak in saying they’ll pay you for changes to store carbon. If you’re already managing that way they won’t pay you for it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...