• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Storm sucked for moisture, had lots of wind, lets do a poll how dry are you?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18° 44k winds today.

Comment

22°, 60-70k in SE alberta.

Comment

What happened in 2007 to be such a low yield?
        It was a terribly wet year here, but I can't remember if that was wide spread?

Comment

We are extremely dry here ,no top soil or sub soil moisture. What snow we had contained very little moisture.Some dugouts were dug in the area and no frost was found. Dryer than 1988 which at least there was enough moisture to germinate the crop. The extreme winds and heat killed the crop that year. Driest conditions that I have seen in a spring,too young to remember “61”.

Comment

I fell out of the crib that year apparently after sampling someone’s vodka my mother tells me
            So don’t remember it either

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
              22°, 60-70k in SE alberta.
              That is brutal
              All the signs are there , here too
              Hope everyone bumped crop ins to 80%

Comment

Ya 88 was the year that instead of 1 combine and 2 trucks you took 2 combines and 1 truck and brought the truck home yourself when you got tired after dark.

Comment

2002 was the worst year for us, 1988 was bad but had we been direct seeding then things would of been a lot better. We have decent moisture here, still some snow inthe field yet.
                  Last edited by Sodbuster; Apr 1, 2021, 20:33.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
                    sorted by bpa - smallest to largest
                    Saskatchewan
                    Reference period Average spring wheat yield (bushels per acre)...

2010 35.1
                    1999 35.4
                    2012 35.9
                    2008 36.1
                    2005 36.6
                    2009 38.6
                    2011 38.7
                    2015 39.7
                    2014 40.6
                    2016 46.1
                    2019 47.3
                    2018 47.7
                    2017 47.9
                    2020 48.7
                    2013 48.8
                    Wow, the last 13 years all fall into the top 15 on that list! Nothing but uninterrupted winning. What happens if we stumble once?

Comment

In the last half dozen years years I feel that genetics played the biggest role in higher wheat yields.

Comment

Genetics definitely helped but my wheat yields have been great with a 20 year old variety. I know with newer breeds I’d be even higher but I think it’s a combination of better fertility, weed management, disease control, seeding technology, and more water. More rain and better management has added 20 bushels to wheat yields on old varieties. Canola genetics is where yield stability improvements has come the most. Still need the conditions to hit those top yields. The best intentions of mice and men.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                          In the last half dozen years years I feel that genetics played the biggest role in higher wheat yields.
                          Genetics, high fertilizer rates, fungicides on everything. We’re faking it unnaturally.

I’d love to see those yields posted beside average n rates. How much n did guys use in 1980’s on average?

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                            The highest yielding wheat variety in Alberta most years (and usually by a wide margin) according to AFSC crop insurance records is close to 40 years old. And unlike the newest varieties I keep trying, I never need to fungicide it, it also stands better than anything else I've tried

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                              Genetics, high fertilizer rates, fungicides on everything. We’re faking it unnaturally.

I’d love to see those yields posted beside average n rates. How much n did guys use in 1980’s on average?
                              I have to agree that we’re using more fertilizer now and fungicide. Brandon was one of the earlier semi dewarf varieties that had good lodging resistance, before that we were limited to how much N we put on due to lodging.

Comment

Brandon Changed Ag on the East side we always grew more straw than wheat seeds. So thick you couldn't imagine than one big rain in August and flat as a pancake.

Brandon wins the wheat of Change for us.

Now 2020 it won't matter if your a direct seeder and prescription service and have an agronomist on staff all mean nothing unless it rains.

Sorry to break some people kinds bubble but that's a fact jack.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...