• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone read books anymore?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
    Now why can't all thread derails turn like this one?
    ..sorry i get sidetracked easily
    ...more to the op's intent..
    I don't read a lot maybe 10 books a year...I'd recommend The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt,I've bought three copies for family members.
    A trick i"ve learned for reading voluminous tomes (lol) is to find the audiobook on you tube and listen at 2x speed while reading. It helps me keep a pace and helps me absorb better. Reread gulag archipelago and brothers karamazov recently that way.

Comment

Over the winter I read:

Cormac McCarthy: The Road
      Ernest Hemmingway: Old Man and the Sea, A Farewell to Arms, A Moveable Feast
      Mark Twain: Adventures of Tom Sawyer
      Jules Vern: Journey to the Center of the Earth
      Mark Hughes: A Greater Purpose, A Greater Passion
      Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
      James Nestor: Deep, Breath
      Damian Asher: Inside the Inferno

Now Reading - Jordan Peterson: Beyond Order, 12 More Rules for Life

Read some of Dubliner, Brothers Karamazov

I probably read a few more but can't remember. I'd rather read hardcover but it's nice to get an ebook from the library without having to get off my butt

Comment

Originally posted by A990 View Post
        Reread gulag archipelago and brothers karamazov recently that way.
        I haven't read Brothers Karamazov, but did read Gulag Archipeligo. It is a tough slog, but should be required reading for everyone. It might open up some minds. I typed more, then decided this thread doesn't need to go there.

Another book I highly recommend is Dirt, The Erosion of Civilizations. Not only should every farmer read it, I think everyone should. This is one precious and fleeting resource we take for granted.

Comment

I’m an anthropology nerd so I really enjoyed Sapiens - Yuval Noah Harari. Or at least the first 2/3 of it. Once it got into capitalism and stuff that’s out of my scope of interest so I kind of faded out of the book.

First half is truly thought provoking though. As farmers you really need to exercise your critical thinking and try not to take it personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
            I’m an anthropology nerd so I really enjoyed Sapiens - Yuval Noah Harari. Or at least the first 2/3 of it. Once it got into capitalism and stuff that’s out of my scope of interest so I kind of faded out of the book.

First half is truly thought provoking though. As farmers you really need to exercise your critical thinking and try not to take it personally.
            ...same here, was enjoying till was getting lectured about the evils of european imperialism/colonialism

Comment

Just noticed another stack on the shelves here by Joe Garner, a logger/entrepreneur/developer who was there and active in the logging, opening up and development of the West Coast. Don't know how I could have missed him in my earlier list.

He was a living example of hard work, ingenuity and determination, the kind it took to get tough jobs done.

His set of books hold a myriad of examples of those qualities, most learned as a young boy who knew the meaning of hard work and responsibility.

The topics range from the abundance of West Coast wild game, giving a lot of attention to the arguably most vicious cat of all, cougars, in "Never a Time to Trust", to the development of the logging industry from steam jennies and whistle punks to helicopter logging, etc.

He also dedicated one volume to graft in big business and government in "Never Under the Table". (All his titles start with "Never")

That last subject made me so angry that I don't know if I ever finished that one even once, although his others I have read and reread numerous times.

Many authors are likely happy to have their works read one time. It's likely the mark of a good author if their books get worn with usage.

That would make Joe Garner a winner, in our house. Of course it depends on one's interests.

His titles:

Never Chop Your Rope (Aauummm - very good advice for a high rigger)
              Never a Time to Trust
              Never Fly Over an Eagle's Nest
              Never Forget the Good Times
              Never Under the Table

Highly recommended for lessons in endurance, integrity, humor and ingenuity from a legendary man.

After I got the first book or two on a trip to BC many years ago, I was pleasantly surprised to find the rest of them wrapped up as a birthday present from my wife who saw how much I enjoyed them.
              Last edited by burnt; Apr 19, 2021, 06:21.

Comment

Originally posted by A990 View Post
                Nice..
                Our family had a plain jane '69 Custom with a 302 when i was a kid. Somehow became a mopar guy though..
                my car[ATTACH]7793[/ATTACH]
                When I saw your account name I was wondering if you are a Mopar Fan! Hemi car ? or wedge motor? Looks very cool and burns through the carbon tax nicely! LOL.

Comment

Seems to me, the son often buys opposite of the Dad. Ever notice that?

Comment

Same here Blaithin
                    Sapiens really was very interesting and really opens your eyes the games humans play with your beliefs!
                    I read his other two books also which were interesting but not quite like Sapiens.

Comment

Can pull out his ideas of “what are rights and morals except for figments of humans imaginations” on here quite often 😂

Comment

This was our university text book on soils back in 79 at U of M. Looked through it occasionally over the years, amazing how some information hasn't changed and some other stuff that was taught was so out to lunch. An american text book first published in 1958 used in a Canadian university. HmmmmClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210420_135643.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	770967
                        Last edited by Guest; Apr 20, 2021, 00:12.

Comment

I just finished reading Theodore Dreiser's The Trilogy of Desire just yesterday. I will not say that it was the most exciting book I have read, but it is undoubtedly one of the best series of novels that I have come across. The novel clearly demonstrates everything that ends in the pursuit of money, how certain actions and decisions turn out. In addition, it is very interesting to read about the life of financiers during the development of social

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                            I have a set of 3 James Herriot books which were later compiled in "All Creatures Great and Small", alternately amusing, touching and all around good story-telling.

Some of his lines are so memorable, such as when the dog who loved surprising people jumped up put of the grass in front of him with an explosive "WOOF' right in his face. Herriot says that it about caused him "...an involuntary evacuation of the bowels...", a line that I've fully understood a time or two since I read it...

Also, there have been occasions when I resorted to one of his customer's verbiage when handling uncooperative cows - "MOVE OVER, YOU SHITTIN' OLD BOVRIL!", much to my helper's disgust...

Children's version as pictured -

[ATTACH]7790[/ATTACH]
                            Thanks for posting this, didn’t know there was a children’s version. Ordered and came in the mail today, kids won’t let me stop reading.

Comment

As mentioned on here, the kids loved the same 2 or 3 books. After getting tired of reading them I would tease the kids by sometimes changing a word or run the story off on a tangent. It never took long before they would point out that I wasn’t a very good reader or I am not following the story.

At least I knew they were listening to me. Eventually that morphed into where they wanted me to make up a story. Those stories always started the same. There were three (insert word: ducks,geese, whatever) named Huey, Dewey and Louis ....

Now, one of my daughters is in University and has three pets so I always ask about Huey, Dewey and Louis.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...