• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dutch vertical side band

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch vertical side band

Anybody running the Dutch vertical side band openers? Have Dutch low draft paired row right now that I like, except when seeding canola. A little too variable of depth for shallow seeding.

I had Dutch low draft paired row.
    Went to Atom Jet paired row.
    Big difference in seed and fert placement. Turned the drill into a rake though.

Comment

Do you think the atom jet side band would have better trash flow?

Comment

We have a c shank drill.
        All Atom Jets have a 90° to ground profile. Longer straw wraps on opener body not flowing up and off.
        Slowing down to 3mph helped with canola with the Dutch.
        We had the closed bottom ones.
        I like the AJs enough to just make sure we do a better job with straw.
        Last edited by blackpowder; May 19, 2021, 17:14.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
          We have a c shank drill.
          All Atom Jets have a 90° to ground profile. Longer straw wraps on opener body not flowing up and off.
          Slowing down to 3mph helped with canola with the Dutch.
          We had the closed bottom ones.
          I like the AJs enough to just make sure we do a better job with straw.
          I either spike in fall and heavy harrow in spring if we have moisture in fall, or else heavy harrow in fall and high speed disk everything in spring if we don’t have moisture in fall. So trash isn’t an issue.

I like the look of the atom jet, but was leaning toward the vertical Dutch for the replaceable tip. How many acres can you get on an atom jet before needing a rebuild/hard surface? Any issues with breaking carbides? Have a bit of rock out our way.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
            Have run a Flexicoil 5000 drill since 2008. I have used Dutch low draft twin row 31/2 inch, then regular atom jet side band and now atom jet high rate side band. I can’t say that I noticed too much difference in trash clearance, only issue is in pea stubble. There is no doubt that the atom jet works better in canola, in cereals I give the edge to Dutch low draft. Should have a better idea this fall, my neighbour seeded some barley for me with his Dutch low draft this spring, hope to do some yield testing this fall. The only other thing I did was order the drill without the harrows between the openers and the packers, just make a mess with much straw in my opinion.

Comment

we use side band with a morris edge on shank on maxim 2
              just about unpluggable
              C shanks are the problem , should be outlawed
              this drill with 10" spacing will put twice the straw though as our BG deep tiller on 12" , C-shanks with knives
              straw works it s way up and around C-shank, can't go straight up an edge on shank as easy

Comment

I either spike in fall and heavy harrow in spring if we have moisture in fall, or else heavy harrow in fall and high speed disk everything in spring if we don’t have moisture in fall. So trash isn’t an issue.

I like the look of the atom jet, but was leaning toward the vertical Dutch for the replaceable tip. How many acres can you get on an atom jet before needing a rebuild/hard surface? Any issues with breaking carbides? Have a bit of rock out our way.
                we had about 30,000acres on our atom jets , sent them to atom jet for rebuild on hardband welds, whole bill was only $1800 for 55ft , really like them ,about 6 had carbide gone , no rocks though
                nice thing about atom jet is you can use them for a spring and get your money back if not happy, bet they don't get many back

Comment

Wasn't the original theory on atom jet that you dont get seed bounce due to their design? Your seed is on the firm bottom where the moisture is and not blown up into the loose dirt that falls in ahead of the packer?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    we had about 30,000acres on our atom jets , sent them to atom jet for rebuild on hardband welds, whole bill was only $1800 for 55ft , really like them ,about 6 had carbide gone , no rocks though
                    nice thing about atom jet is you can use them for a spring and get your money back if not happy, bet they don't get many back
                    So you sent them for a rebuild at 30,000 acres? Or you got 30,000 acres out of the opener before having to change them to something else, and did a rebuild in there somewhere?

Have 35,000 acres on the dutch low drafts, and have replaced the tips at about 20,000 acres. Boots themselves probably have another 20,000-25,000 acres in them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                      Have run a Flexicoil 5000 drill since 2008. I have used Dutch low draft twin row 31/2 inch, then regular atom jet side band and now atom jet high rate side band. I can’t say that I noticed too much difference in trash clearance, only issue is in pea stubble. There is no doubt that the atom jet works better in canola, in cereals I give the edge to Dutch low draft. Should have a better idea this fall, my neighbour seeded some barley for me with his Dutch low draft this spring, hope to do some yield testing this fall. The only other thing I did was order the drill without the harrows between the openers and the packers, just make a mess with much straw in my opinion.
                      Do you prefer the regular side band or the high rate side band between the two? What kind of soil? Kind of a clay-loam here.

Comment

So you sent them for a rebuild at 30,000 acres? Or you got 30,000 acres out of the opener before having to change them to something else, and did a rebuild in there somewhere?

Have 35,000 acres on the dutch low drafts, and have replaced the tips at about 20,000 acres. Boots themselves probably have another 20,000-25,000 acres in them yet.
                        at 30,000 acres we were missing maybe a half a dozen carbide pieces
                        the hard band welds were worn on sides (cost $30 apiece/opener/average)
                        they re-welded hard band and glued those few missing carbide squares back on
                        no rocks , heavy soil , no sand though
                        they were like new and we put them back on and I'm sure we will get another 30,000 acres/10 years
                        and that should finish me off , lol
                        really like the atom jet opener
                        had the morris gumbo boot before that and it made you feel like jumping off a bridge when looking behind drill, they did always grow good crops tho, just to coarse and rough
                        Last edited by Guest; May 21, 2021, 13:18.

Comment

The way the packers are on this flexi I'll be trading drills long before openers are worn.
                          At least for now, drills arent worth fixing given cost of good used.
                          Kept my old Dutch boots to send with.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                            The way the packers are on this flexi I'll be trading drills long before openers are worn.
                            At least for now, drills arent worth fixing given cost of good used.
                            Kept my old Dutch boots to send with.
                            whats wrong with packers?

Comment

Nothing yet.
                              But when rubber caps start giving trouble for example. Flexi new to me. But when you can get a low acre toolbar for 30 to 60? Look like a night mare to overhaul and I've priced out parts.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...