• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frost Damage

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
    Furrow,

You have minimal residue and a nice black furrow which seems to allow ground heat up to protect the canola seedlings. My straw covered seed rows freeze way worse than rows with some black color.

What do you do to get it that black? Harrow few times and fall fertilize? Or do the planter residue managers keep it black?

I use Bourgault 3320 qda drill and it seems the wheat straw flows in and completely covers the furrow.
    We don’t have residue managers .... yet
    Are looking at precision planting new design but will will depend on how outrageously they are over priced

Everything just got done once in fall with the gates coulter harrow . Then straight in with planter this spring other than some low areas

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      We don’t have residue managers .... yet
      Are looking at precision planting new design but will will depend on how outrageously they are over priced

Everything just got done once in fall with the gates coulter harrow . Then straight in with planter this spring other than some low areas

How do you apply your NPKS?

Comment

Liquid pho’s in seed row , plus added G22 with herbicides
        N was broadcast last fall with stabilizer
        Most fields have bio sul for S
        Other rented land got NKS broadcast last fall

We are now adding more dry pho’s with the cereals with alpine the year before to help pho’s levels .

If it establishes well and weed control is good I may stream on more NS if rains happen but right now 80-85% is done before seeding .
        If it don't rain much or any of those other factors are not great it may also not get extra fert . Only time will tell the next 3 weeks .

Comment

Furrow we used urea with the stabilizer last fall for the first time and was a bit scared how good it would work. Have u had good luck with it. If works well we will do it all that way from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
            Furrow we used urea with the stabilizer last fall for the first time and was a bit scared how good it would work. Have u had good luck with it. If works well we will do it all that way from now on.
            Ya we have . I know it’s not ideal but it does work fine
            Soil samples and tissue samples at full cabbage seen little difference between any N
            NH3 was consistently slightly better but stabilizer is not cheap and neither is hours spent on tractor in fall .
            We found what works best for us is put on 80% or so in fall then add after crop is established anc you know what you got .
            Streaming on liquid N is fast with sprayer and accurate with auto shut off and sectional control

Balancing the eggs in the basket I guess

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              Your wishes have been granted. You don't have to worry about frost if you had to reseed your frost damage crops. The week ahead looks to be very hot and dry with several days well over 10 degrees warmer than normal. It will be a sad week for those who didn't get as much rain as they needed.

Some farmers still seemed confused over the concept of climate versus weather. But on a site where wacky covid vaccines conspiracies are taken seriously by a few posters, don't expect a rational discussion about science.

Prior to the internet I always wondered who purchased and read all those supermarket tabloids? In some cases it must have been the parents of some frequent posters on Agrisilly.
              Prior to the internet I always wondered who could think for themselves, now it’s as clear as day

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                Your wishes have been granted. You don't have to worry about frost if you had to reseed your frost damage crops. The week ahead looks to be very hot and dry with several days well over 10 degrees warmer than normal. It will be a sad week for those who didn't get as much rain as they needed.

Some farmers still seemed confused over the concept of climate versus weather. But on a site where wacky covid vaccines conspiracies are taken seriously by a few posters, don't expect a rational discussion about science.

Prior to the internet I always wondered who purchased and read all those supermarket tabloids? In some cases it must have been the parents of some frequent posters on Agrisilly.
                Well I am reseeding canola cause the germ was about 5 % , not bad for the price , eh?
                Oh, And I am very worried about a fall frost
                Are you for real ? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  Well I am reseeding canola cause the germ was about 5 % , not bad for the price , eh?
                  Oh, And I am very worried about a fall frost
                  Are you for real ? Really?
                  Liberty?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    Ya we have . I know it’s not ideal but it does work fine
                    Soil samples and tissue samples at full cabbage seen little difference between any N
                    NH3 was consistently slightly better but stabilizer is not cheap and neither is hours spent on tractor in fall .
                    We found what works best for us is put on 80% or so in fall then add after crop is established anc you know what you got .
                    Streaming on liquid N is fast with sprayer and accurate with auto shut off and sectional control

Balancing the eggs in the basket I guess
                    Any reason you broadcast N in fall vs spring?

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                      Any reason you broadcast N in fall vs spring?
                      Several actually
                      1 . time , generally more time , not as rushed
                      2 . Field finish , no ruts , floaters can be efficient as well by going straight through and shutting off in low spots . Spring floating leaves ruts and that’s not great for direct seeding with planter .
                      3 . Cool soil temperatures in fall , with stabilizers help minimize any loss
                      4 . Virtually guaranteed to get get snow cover and moisture to take N in

Again it’s not ideal but it works if planned out right.
                      I would like to put more down at planting time as it’s more efficient to plant . But not nearly as efficient on time in a small seeding window .
                      This is our 5 th year with the Horsch , still learning and trying new things .

This field had N floated last fall and then we deep banded 35 lbs P on the right .
                      Planter depth way more consistent in standing stubble , less frost damage on the banded side .
                      Way less weed competition on the standing stubble .
                      Establishment was way better on the standing stubble side due to soil moisture at seeding .
                      So at seeding time the standing stubble was preferred as dry as it was . By the end of May and 4 frosts the banded side had the edge but dried out . Now ??? We will see lol
                      Both are ok for establishment now

Same thing N application.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...