• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Totally not crop marketing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
    100% wrong. The CBSA most certainly does not unilaterally impose tariffs at their discretion. They enforce the rules/laws/regulations mandated by the government (Liberals) as per their duty to enforce the control of the border including people and products (imports/exports).
    Taiga: So if you get a speeding ticket, is it Trudeaus fault, or the fault of the government who imposed that speed limit in the first place, or the fault of the police for stopping and ticketing you, or IN FACT your fault for breaking the law and you are subject to the procedures and penalties in place at the time you broke the law?

Try reading the actual statement of reasons why CBSA imposed the tariffs (which I even provided a link to) instead of just spouting your opinions for once.

BTW Since I will never change your opinion that this was a policy decision by the Liberals, would you please explain why not one critical word came from Otoole or the Conservatives about this tariff and since it was announced on May 5th NOT by the Liberals but by the CBSA? Does this mean Otoole and the Conservatives support this tariff in your mind?
    Last edited by dmlfarmer; May 21, 2021, 12:20.

Comment

I don’t care about the furniture tariff, the one on phos is the one that is really getting us. You have a good reason for that, dml?

Comment

Originally posted by dmlfarmer View Post
        Lets put the blame where it belongs re the new furniture tariff. First it was not the Liberal government which imposed this tariff but rather Canada Border Services after they conducted a preliminary investigation into claims China and Vietnam were dumping subsidized motion and leather furniture into the Canadian market.

Second, the claimant which initiated the CBSA investigation was Palliser Furniture of Winnipeg so it was not a Liberal/Quuebec plot. 14 other furniture manufactures supported Palliser's complaint and 1 is also from Manitoba, 1 from Alberta, 2 from BC, 3 from Quebec, and 7 from Ontario.

Third, this is a preliminary action and a decision will be made to uphold or cancel this tariff later this summer.

Forth, not all furniture from China and Vietnam producers are subject to this tariff because not all China/Vietnam manufactures were dumping subsidized furniture. Here is CBSA list of the actual tariffs by company from the CBSA news release: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/sima-lmsi/i-e/uds2020/uds2020-np-eng.html https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/sima-lmsi/i-e/uds2020/uds2020-np-eng.html

And maybe read the actual CBSA Statement of Reasons why the CBSA imposed the tariff instead of blaming Liberals and Quebecors. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/sima-lmsi/i-e/uds2020/uds2020-pd-eng.html https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/sima-lmsi/i-e/uds2020/uds2020-pd-eng.html
        This can't be. It doesn't fit the conspiracy narrative that was proposed

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
          Have you heard much critical words in general about anything from the conservatives? Seems to me there’s not a lot of debate about much anymore even with a minority government.
          Voting for an MP who is in opposition or will be a backbencher seems like a waste of time.
          This country is run by about a dozen people, maybe less. The rest are not even mentioned these days.
          Is that democracy?
          Looks exactly like what the soviets were running when it collapsed.

Comment

Originally posted by RD414 View Post
            I don’t care about the furniture tariff, the one on phos is the one that is really getting us. You have a good reason for that, dml?
            There is no Canadian tariff on the import of phosphate fertilizers. However, on June 26, 2020 Mosiac Corp. claimed its US phosphate production was being harmed by the importation of subsidized phosphates from Russia and Morocco. Investigation began in August by the ITC and a preliminary tariff was imposed in November 20 on all phosphate fertilizer arriving from Morocco and Russia. In March of this year the investigation was completed and ITC found Russian and Moroccan phosphate was subsidized and harming Mosaic. Therefore the US Department of Commerce is now levying countervailing duties of 20% for OCP, a Moroccan producer. Russian producers will have duties of 17% except for PhosAgro which will be 9% and EuroChem at 47% fir at least the next five years. Since Canadian imports of phosphate mostly come from Russia and Morocco and follow the same supply chain, being unloaded on the US east coast, we end up paying the same duty as US producers to the US treasury. And even if we were able to have phosphate unloaded at Canadian ports, the limited competition in the fertilizer business by the few global players means because of global pricing and lack of competition we would likely pay the same price as US producers for phosphate anyway. So get used to higher phosphate fertilizer prices.

Tariffs are nothing more than an importation tax eventually paid by the consumers of those imported products. I find it amusing how many of you cheered Trumps imposition of tariffs in order to bring production back to the US but as soon as the higher prices impact you, suddenly the higher prices are the fault of Liberals and tariffs are wrong.

Comment

https://c2cjournal.ca/2019/11/fbp-the-laurentian-elite-canadas-ruling-class/

Could be .......
              Along with SNC Lavalin and Powercorp ?
              Just a guess as to who actually calls the shots .
              Could be wrong ...
              Last edited by furrowtickler; May 21, 2021, 18:52.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...