• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good News Saskatchewan

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good News Saskatchewan

Massive helium find at Climax and another Canola crusher at Northgate. Things are looking up. 👍

Just imagine how successful we would be if we didn't have a liberal govt that hates us.

Comment

"Just imagine how successful we would be if we didn't have a liberal govt that hates us."

LOL. Juvenile simplistic statements like this show a lack of understanding of what happened to commodity markets and prices in the last decade. Oil and other commodities hit peaks a decade ago during rapid growth in China and elsewhere.

When the growth slowed and commodity prices fell its all the Liberals' fault? Get a grip it started while Harper was Prime Minister. Prime Ministers don't control commodity prices or commodity cycles.

Prices have risen and farmers net incomes are going up. But for the serial complainers on Agrisilly there are never good times! Woe is me!
      Last edited by chuckChuck; May 26, 2021, 07:53.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
        "Just imagine how successful we would be if we didn't have a liberal govt that hates us."

LOL. Juvenile simplistic statements like this show a lack of understanding of what happened to commodity markets and prices in the last decade. Oil and other commodities hit peaks a decade ago during rapid growth in China and elsewhere.

When the growth slowed and commodity prices fell its all the Liberals' fault? Get a grip it started while Harper was Prime Minister. Trudeau doesn't control commodity prices or commodity cycles.

Prices have risen and farmers net incomes are going up. But for the serial complainers on Agrisilly there are never good times! Woe is me!
        have you looked at your input costs lately ???????????
        surely you are not that out of touch ?

Comment

So you would rather have low grain prices?

Comment

Chuck...

I am not complaining or disputing your comments...just adding some facts.

In the 70s a 3 ton of wheat would buy a half ton...today it takes nearly 5 super B's of canola to buy a halfton .

Farmers are not keeping pace...google the price of wheat from mid 70s and index to today's dollars...we should be well into mid 20 bucks a bushel for wheat.

The only indexing going on is the BPA , which is not making it cheaper to farm. Therefore net to most farms is getting tighter even in the current environment of higher grain prices.

I am not sure that gauging farmer's income the way they do is an progressive way to help the industry.

In the 60s a cow herd of 50 cows and 1200 acres raised alot of family with far larger families on the farm.

Today it seems they have to have a minimum of 300 cows or 10000 acres.

While some call that progress , I look at it as a regression. Why , because it limits the number of new entrants into the industry because of the cost to entry.

a 300 cow calf operation c/w machinery and land would be well in excess of 2 million for anyone to start out.

10000 acres with minimum margins is a 15 million dollar investment ...Its not like you can go get an off farm and make the down payment ....

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
              So you would rather have low grain prices?
              would you rather have a conservative govt? one stupid question deserves another i guess
              parts prices have doubled in the last year, as has everything else
              you must have encountered that getting your air seeder ready last minute?

Comment

And thank Christ the CWB is dead! Wheat would been 5 bucks all year!

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                  Chuck...

In the 70s a 3 ton of wheat would buy a half ton...today it takes nearly 5 super B's of canola to buy a halfton .

Farmers are not keeping pace...google the price of wheat from mid 70s and index to today's dollars...we should be well into mid 20 bucks a bushel for wheat.

The only indexing going on is the BPA , which is not making it cheaper to farm. Therefore net to most farms is getting tighter even in the current environment of higher grain prices.

I am not sure that gauging farmer's income the way they do is an progressive way to help the industry.

In the 60s a cow herd of 50 cows and 1200 acres raised alot of family with far larger families on the farm.

While some call that progress , I look at it as a regression. Why , because it limits the number of new entrants into the industry because of the cost to entry.

a 300 cow calf operation c/w machinery and land would be well in excess of 2 million for anyone to start out.

10000 acres with minimum margins is a 15 million dollar investment ...Its not like you can go get an off farm and make the down payment ....
                  falling on deaf ears bucket

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
                    And thank Christ the CWB is dead! Wheat would been 5 bucks all year!
                    post of the month, right there!

Comment

chuck, maybe you missed the subliminal value added message there.

We all know that ever since the NEP the west has been plundered to create manufacturing jobs in the east who then vote Liberal.

Where are the pasta and bread plants? I am in utter shock we have had 3 separate canola crusher announcements. I would have guessed all that canola would have been trucked and crushed in Quebec.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        chuck, maybe you missed the subliminal value added message there.

We all know that ever since the NEP the west has been plundered to create manufacturing jobs in the east who then vote Liberal.

Where are the pasta and bread plants? I am in utter shock we have had 3 separate canola crusher announcements. I would have guessed all that canola would have been trucked and crushed in Quebec.
                        I think there's awakening that being subservient to Quebec is not a healthy way going forward.

Want to win an election in this country means pandering to quebec...

If I was premier of Saskatchewan , after what Quebec has recently announced, would be to say Saskatchewan is an only english province....and then watch the fireworks.

Businessmen know better and maybe want to be better positioned for the eventual splitting of this country.

With one of the two Canadian railways winning the bid for Kansas rail...the St. Lawrence maybe becomes a little less important.
                        Last edited by bucket; May 26, 2021, 08:16.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                          Chuck...

In 1978, I bought a new GMC Sierra 4x4 for $8500. I had a good turn on the 50 head of cattle I fed that winter and the profit - yes, the profit on those steers paid for the pickup and I paid the tax out of my pocket.

Toured across the West in it, dream of a lifetime for a youngster. Spent 3 weeks helping with harvest near Stirling and that paid for my trip.

Today it would take the entire cheque from about 20 - 25 fat steers to buy that truck.

And the "profit"? Well, you wouldn't be buying a new pickup for a loooong time with it.

Comment

Originally posted by burnt View Post
                            In 1978, I bought a new GMC Sierra 4x4 for $8500. I had a good turn on the 50 head of cattle I fed that winter and the profit - yes, the profit on those steers paid for the pickup and I paid the tax out of my pocket.

Toured across the West in it, dream of a lifetime for a youngster. Spent 3 weeks helping with harvest near Stirling and that paid for my trip.

Today it would take the entire cheque from about 20 - 25 fat steers to buy that truck.

And the "profit"? Well, you wouldn't be buying a new pickup for a loooong time with it.

You would be lucky to be able to purchase a used 1978 GMC sierra with any profit from the steers today?????
                            Last edited by bucket; May 26, 2021, 08:26.

Comment

Funny that chuck is so out of touch
                              Completely oblivious to what is happening ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...