• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
    You are in an extremely lucky small area
    We suffer through the wet years with zero crop or single digit yields of wet grain that needs drying, crops left out for winter, broken combines and tractors from pulling them out one too many times. Denitrification, leaching, soli basically dies for a few years after multiple years of saturation. Gets a weird swampy, anaerobic odor to it, it’s disgusting; while everyone else gets a great crop. Everyone gets their turn I suppose. We still need a rain, but the high humidity and lower temps tells me that it’s not nearly so critical as most places. Like this morning it is 90%. Absolutely soaking wet. It’s not comfortable. Sweating as I type and it’s only 18 degrees. And no wind, makes it just dreadful. Theoretically supposed to be 34 today. We shall see. No forecast high has been hit yet. Will be a basement day for sure.

I will give you an example of what even I found crazy and strange. I seeded new hay a couple weeks ago. We got six tenths of rain on that field on Saturday night. Yesterday morning there were still small areas where the soil had not yet greyed off. Moisture to the surface. I literally got out of the truck to touch the soil because I thought, “no way”! After five days of relatively warm weather. That speaks volumes. Needless to say that alfalfa is well germed and looking pretty good so far.

And yes, the area is extremely small as I’ve said before. You literally could drive through this area and not get through an average country song, and leave us behind.

We shall see. If we get through the next couple days, showers are forecast and much cooler temps are in store.
    Last edited by Sheepwheat; Jul 2, 2021, 07:32.

Comment

Let me refrase....
      you are in an extremely lucky small area this year 👍

Comment

This map tells part of the story of this years crop prospects.

Click image for larger version

Name:	percent-avg-growing-season-062121-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	771262

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          Let me refrase....
          you are in an extremely lucky small area this year 👍
          lol. Ain’t out of the woods yet, big crops need piles of water.

Comment

Nice map chuck yes that area looks ok but canola and anything above 28 C doesn't make seeds. Have a great day. Normal hot dry summer nothing new we had it in the 80s the 60s and 30s .

Were in another cycle not one i like but were in one.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
              Nice map chuck yes that area looks ok but canola and anything above 28 C doesn't make seeds. Have a great day. Normal hot dry summer nothing new we had it in the 80s the 60s and 30s .

Were in another cycle not one i like but were in one.
              But this year the heat is earlier right? Late crops here are going to benefit because they are getting this heat before the rapid growth, bolting, heading etc. When the heat normally STARTS in July, after a usually wet June, early crops can escape the heat to an extent by being further along. But this year it’s all screwed up.

Comment

Near Winnipeg canola is incredibly variable. Some blooming nicely, but many fields have very small plants that have not canopied very well and are bolting. Lots of very thin stands. Lots of flea beetle damage along the edges of fields.

Wheat is heading out but the tops of the heads are turning white in some fields.

Some corn looks quite good, but others are looking thin with spiky leaves.

Golf course at Elm Creek has stopped watering fairways due to dugout running low.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                  This map tells part of the story of this years crop prospects.

[ATTACH]8198[/ATTACH]
                  That map about as accurate as the last one that Larry put up to show how far out of touch it was

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                    But this year the heat is earlier right? Late crops here are going to benefit because they are getting this heat before the rapid growth, bolting, heading etc. When the heat normally STARTS in July, after a usually wet June, early crops can escape the heat to an extent by being further along. But this year it’s all screwed up.
                    Late crops here are near dead because the root systems were not adequate enough to handle the conditions these past 4 days . It very very evident today .

Comment

34 degrees at 12.20 headed for 39. Just listened to farm report where the lady was trying
                      To put a brave face on the canola crop. Also 93% of the US hard red is under drought ,we are slightly
                      Better than the pics above in the light land , but not much, good land still has some potential but.really do not want to look tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by sawfly1 View Post
                        34 degrees at 12.20 headed for 39. Just listened to farm report where the lady was trying
                        To put a brave face on the canola crop. Also 93% of the US hard red is under drought ,we are slightly
                        Better than the pics above in the light land , but not much, good land still has some potential but.really do not want to look tomorrow
                        Ya yesterday and today in NW sask is going to hurt a lot

Comment

Boy this forum is almost a joke, most of Canada farms are a week away from a complete disaster. I don’t think people realize how bad this could be to the farming and Canadian economy if it does not cool down and rain. I know guys that have almost contracted all of their 2021 production, if they don’t get bushels the buyouts will bankrupt them. This is way more serious than any covid crap that is dominating this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                            Boy this forum is almost a joke, most of Canada farms are a week away from a complete disaster. I don’t think people realize how bad this could be to the farming and Canadian economy if it does not cool down and rain. I know guys that have almost contracted all of their 2021 production, if they don’t get bushels the buyouts will bankrupt them. This is way more serious than any covid crap that is dominating this forum.
                            No kidding, from what the crop insurance claim this could be, the unplayable input bills, cash advances, those are just a few very basic things at the surface. Along with as you said prepriced grain. Man this is setting up nasty. Society should be concerned. At least they should have a clue. I don’t think they do. Which will make this a shocker.

If it’s a farm here or there, or a little pocket that struggles is one thing. But this sucker is widespread devastation. Last time this happened, a bag of chips was probably 30 cents. A combine worth 50 000. Land payments 20 buck an acre.

Comment

“And the band played on” ? Comes to mind

It’s over and the buyouts will be astounding
                              “ force majeure ”

No I Suppose that only works for the other side ?
                              Chuck and his gang will find out what ag was contributing
                              Last edited by Guest; Jul 2, 2021, 14:55.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	canola1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	771263

19.8 MMT has as much chance as Chucky posting a picture of his farm...

19.8 MMT equals a 38.87 bpa crop

Reference period Canola
                                2002 22.2
                                2003 25.8
                                2004 28.1
                                2005 32.7
                                2006 30.7
                                2007 27.1
                                2008 34.7
                                2009 35.3
                                2010 33.3
                                2011 34.3