• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

H A P P Y C A N A D A D A Y!

Every country has a past but it's the future that we create. So let's learn from our mistakes and celebrate our great country Canada. Happy Canada Day!

Crop Report.

Wow is it dry every cloud has nothing and finally the last three days we have had almost zero wind. Most farmers caught up spraying and now are working on haying and the grain guys are going to the lake to avoid watching with stress the crops burn up.

Burnup is happening and the markets better wake up the next two weeks are critical for grain development and no rain means no grain.

Yesterday Saskatchewan had another rosy crop report. Crop development is doing great with a few areas having stress but rain is needed. Now the rest of the story.

Canola starts to wilt at 12 noon and stays sick till 5 to 6 in our area then a recovery. The Sandridge has started to fail so that means two weeks and rest is done. Weak spots or gravel can be spotted with a drone flying over a field now those areas are weak.

Total moisture over the week was 2/10 or a tenth. I hate these weather stations basically it pissed twice.

Ok, here we go.

Wheat on the early seeded is headed or almost fully headed, so yes seeding in April would have got you further along this year and conditions worked for the early seeded. Most in our area or the drive out from Regina is in the flag stage. The odd head is poking out. No leaf drop yet which is a good sign but the roots are going deep for moisture. Humidity is under 50% most days so spraying a fungicide might not happen this year. Most fungicides don't work in Dry conditions or low humidity or flood conditions. Crop overall is hanging in there but the next 7 days of heat will separate the boys from the 72 genders real fast.

Barley is at the ugly stage with the head forming and starting to poke out. Hopefully, it won't get stalled in the boot. Have seen that in 1988. Harvesting was a shit show. Spraying might happen but most likely not if conditions continue and the massive heat stays.

Flax has covered the ground as well as it's going to get. Haven't seen any real nice flax crops but have seen more flax than I imagined for our area.

Lentils are up and covered the ground and doing really well. Some have sprayed fungicide others are waiting. They look good but maybe it's the year to grow them.

Peas are coming out of the Viper hit the stage and starting to grow taller. Fields seeded earlier are starting to flower but no one has sprayed yet. Overall not as many peas as I would have thought. A lot of guys got burnt on the disease so if you follow the 8-year rule you need a lot of land to make it work.

Oats are done spraying in the crop for the most part and guys will wait to see if it rains next week to spray.

Durum very few acres in our area as guys switched back to wheat a few years ago due to high moisture we have had in the past. The disease was a big problem and double spraying didn't work. Looks ok so far.

Canola is taking the dry conditions hard. First some real early seeded had problems coming up till first rain so 5 different stages of growth. Then the later seeded caught the rain has nice rows but now is getting hit with heat. Late seeded has a very nice catch but are the roots deep enough to get through the heat. Some fields are a total shit show. Was it Pursuit carry over from previous pea crop. Or other things happening. The burnt field still looks good but with no straw on the ground, it could fail this week. Basically, Canola is all over the board from Full flower to starting to bolting but big cabbage isn't happening.

Pasture is getting chewed off real fast but still holding on. Hayfields that are old sure show up this year and should have been ripped up and reseeded or fertilized after the first big rain in May. The second season, Alfalfa is awesome, and the third-year mixed is really good.

So basically last weekend was a joke for rain all it did was mist three nights in a row like a real dew. The heat is here and maybe it's time to park the sprayer go to the lake and relax catching fish or just relaxing with a cool beverage.

The heat is on till maybe Sunday night with a chance as a cold front comes in. Will it bring rain who knows.

Take care and remember as your looking at your fields drought doesn't pick too many winners as it doesn't matter if you gave a crop everything in the book mother nature still takes them all out equally.

Happy Canada Day.

Canola

Peas coming out of viper knock down stage

Barley trying to head

Haying is starting

Comment

Oh one thing I am pissed at is Trudeau has said nothing about all the church fires yet any other thing gets done he is there with fake tears every time. He hate Canadians.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	7A209EF8-5F5F-47AA-866C-69FDFE8356F8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	771248

Its maybe time to take a knee.

Comment

Things definitely getting interesting in world food production...

That was a major frost event , if you know much about corn 🌽...... that ain’t good

Comment

It froze really hard in that area. The pictures are awful. It was two nights in a row also.

Comment

**** we had an absolute bumper here
              Best ever
              It’s *** gone now
              Everyone knows except Neil
              What will Neil say?

Comment

This week will tell 100 heat. Maybe thundershowers or we are done.

Comment

Everything is looking decent here except canola. The heat has really woken up the soil and you can sure see the peas and faba’s have responded and look good. Wheat is looking good and just starting to head.
                  Canola is weak and has small leaves. Starting to bolt and can still see dirt between the rows. One field I believe is having issues with pursuit residual from 2019! I can really pick out anywhere in the field the sprayer overlapped. Old tech pull type sprayer with only a left and a right shutoff. The rest of the canola is still week and I am not sure why?
                  I did have fairly heavy flea beetles pressure but have had that in the past and canola usually comes back strong after you take care of the bugs. We are a little on the dry side but there is enough moisture for the other crops to flourish and any time I dig down the canola seems to have decent moisture. This isn’t the first or the driest spring I have had and other dry years the canola always seemed strong.
                  Just not sure why this year it is so weak?

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                    Everything is looking decent here except canola. The heat has really woken up the soil and you can sure see the peas and faba’s have responded and look good. Wheat is looking good and just starting to head.
                    Canola is weak and has small leaves. Starting to bolt and can still see dirt between the rows. One field I believe is having issues with pursuit residual from 2019! I can really pick out anywhere in the field the sprayer overlapped. Old tech pull type sprayer with only a left and a right shutoff. The rest of the canola is still week and I am not sure why?
                    I did have fairly heavy flea beetles pressure but have had that in the past and canola usually comes back strong after you take care of the bugs. We are a little on the dry side but there is enough moisture for the other crops to flourish and any time I dig down the canola seems to have decent moisture. This isn’t the first or the driest spring I have had and other dry years the canola always seemed strong.
                    It’s visible everywhere in canola
                    Not sure what is going on , but 9/10 canola crops not real good and 3/10 are horrible . All 9/10 were not great even before this heat wave

Half of those were still trying to recover from several rounds of frost damage. But even most of the ones up after the frost are not great
                    Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 1, 2021, 10:28.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
                      This week will tell 100 heat. Maybe thundershowers or we are done.
                      Won’t help unless it can start flowering again after heat. And that would be a new one

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4F956051-CE52-4121-985B-0307D52D0F6B.jpg
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	771249Click image for larger version

Name:	D1005B82-3049-42C4-915A-A7850C3E989E.jpg
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	771250
                        We had this on every acre
                        Just can’t win anymore

Comment

Early seeded wheat

Later seeded

Canola today dropping at 11:30 not 11

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
                            It’s a shame it’ll take shortages for people to appreciate what we do.
                            Don’t know what you got til it’s gone applies.
                            That will not happen. The woke crowd will demand free food instead of investment. And the govts will probably indulge them.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
                              We have had dry springs as well with intermittent showers before, but I dont think we ever had the wild swings in conditions like this yr. Probably the driest seeding conditions in 15 yrs here.

And then a month between moisture events with freezes in between and then some real scorchers thrown in for good measure. This crop is seeing its fair share of stress.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...