• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmmm I think fungicide on our barley is probably not going to be a good ROI unless applied with 50,000 gpa water.

Dug down a foot and hit some clay that doesn’t powder up right away. Glad we have lots of carryover straw and some barley in a bin too since we’ll likely need to buy some instead of selling the excess.

The roots seem to end at 7 inches though so that explains the yellowing.

Pastures that haven’t even seen cows are burning up. At least the hay is drying quickly. Phone is ringing with guys looking for some already. The alfalfa pellet plant threw out a price of $180/t so that’s the floor price for the area now. Probably only going up.

We planned on grazing a couple quarters of hay but maybe we’d be further ahead to sell our yearlings now and make hay and sell it instead……… Kinda sucking all the fun out of having cows when the grass disappears after only a month of grazing.

Next year country here we come in a big hurry with +36 and 50 kph wind today. 🍀

Comment

Barley sure taking it on the chin here. Its totally cooked. Gald we have very little. My canola is full bloom. Wheat all headed out. Be early harvest.

In season price looking like the smartest thing anyone did this year.

Comment

3 days is an eternity.

Time of death of our crop: 3:00PM July 1, 2021.

Peas are dying. Some plants with available moisture are setting seed into the pods. A rather significant portion are making pods but have quit flowering and the bottom 1/2 is dead! I suspect those will blow out the back of the combine. What is flowering, you cannot see from the road... They're in absolute survival mode. Pretty sure the combines will be hitting the field here in the next 2-3 weeks. ouch!

Durum and CWRS are burning where they stand. 1/3 of heads are likely going to make it just out of the boot, and whether they'll fill is anyones guess. Another 1/6 isn't going to get a head out of the boot let alone kernels. They're turning red. 1/6 thats in low spots has potential to possibly make 25bu/ac, and the remaining 1/3 is going to get a head out of the boot and burn down shortly afterward.

Canola/Mustard: my mustard is getting shit kicked. But at least its making some seed. It's going to be next to impossible to keep it in the combine, but at least theres something. Canola has been flowering for a week or so, and there's not a pod with viable seed on it... They're all blank! Some mustard coming out of bloom and starting to cure.

Lentils: good god, when even these things are phoning it in, its over...

3 days are an eternity... 3 days ago, my 12" soil horizon had soil capable of making balls in the top 10". Top 12" is now pure powder!

Today is the 3rd straight day exceeding 100*f in the shade, the 6th straight day to exceed 85*, and our june rainfall was 1.19". Currently 102* with a 15-20mph wind.

Comment

Our Peas
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210701_141133.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	771253

Not ours...

Name:	20210701_150900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	771254

Also not our CWRS, but not far off of average around here.

Name:	20210701_150947.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	771255

Comment

Durum:

Name:	20210701_141703 1.jpg
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	771258

Comment

So brutal to see , most areas not far behind or there today or tomorrow
              That’s what drives me nuts when when the reports of “grain farmers net incomes to be at record levels” a few months ago
              It’s like WTF is the matter of people . Chuck was all proud when he threw that out on here a few months back .
              Morons at best say that

Even at the end of July there is nothing guaranteed for anyone
              Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 1, 2021, 16:41.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                Durum:
                [ATTACH]8194[/ATTACH]
                Difficult to see Helmsdale, not sure I can make an intelligent comment. If no rain here in the next week I guess we could be the same. Today hot windy and dry.

Comment

Name:	40410970-B24F-4E34-965D-9E4B25ECED50.jpg
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	771261
                  Especially hot in the swamp with a nice convection wind just like in the oven

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    So brutal to see , most areas not far behind or there today or tomorrow
                    That’s what drives me nuts when when the reports of “grain farmers net incomes to be at record levels” a few months ago
                    It’s like WTF is the matter of people . Chuck was all proud when he threw that out on here a few months back .
                    Morons at best say that

Even at the end of July there is nothing guaranteed for anyone
                    Surrounded by morons

Comment

Today at the farm we were still cooler than most it’s weird.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                        Today at the farm we were still cooler than most it’s weird.
                        We were 29 with 60 plus humidity.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                          103.3°f (39.6°c), 19% humidity, and 30mph(50km) winds. It was impressively oppressive!

Trying to work outside in this shit, and I made it till 3pm before I couldn't do it anymore.

Sure glad I haven't contracted any new crop yet... Theres going to be some very expensive buyouts coming up

Comment

Grain markets are set up to protect the grain companies. Doing an 8 dollar pea contract or 9 and buying it out in the fall for 10 isn't fun.

I got hailed out once on all our peas and the market went up because of dry conditions elsewhere. No one wanted to fill 8 peas so I had to pay up. Not fun.

16 Canola back to 24 won't be fun.

7 wheat to 9 won't be fun.

Will be costly for some. But that's how the system goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                              You are in an extremely lucky small area

Comment

[QUOTE=SASKFARMER;500084]H A P P Y C A N A D A D A Y!

Every country has a past but it's the future that we create. So let's learn from our mistakes and celebrate our great country Canada. Happy Canada Day!

If only everyone had the sensibility as yourself. Your posts are ones I always make sure to read.
                                Weekly crop reports an asset to this site. Now if we could just get Farmaholic's inputs back on here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...