• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

high input farmers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high input farmers

I noticed some of the farms that normally have the best looking crops instead have the poorest.
    Its interesting that water needs to be included in your agrology program or the whole system is counterproductive.

Farmers have become a huge profit opportunity for the input suppliers.

Their often juvenile advertising and marketing programs have been effective. That and providing non independent agronomy and advice, leads to increased and unnecessary sales.

There are a lot of nuances to the art and science of farming.

Finding that sweet spot of keeping input costs reasonable, but producing a reasonable return is a big challenge.

And then along comes the drought and heat of 2021 to give every farmer a big wakeup kick in the ass.

But unless you are still wet behind the ears and forgot to pay attention to your parents experience and advice, 2021 should be not a big surprise. Even if it is a painfull experience for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by GOODRUM View Post
      I noticed some of the farms that normally have the best looking crops instead have the poorest.
      Its interesting that water needs to be included in your agrology program or the whole system is counterproductive.
      Crop variety selection comes into play as well I believe. As an example semi-dwarf crops that respond well to higher fertility also demand more water and perform poorly in a drought. Various varieties of CPS wheat I find perform poorly when it is dry compared to CWRS varieties. With barley I find quite a difference as well. I grew Synergy, Austenson and Sirish. Sirish definitely doesn’t like the dryer weather.

Comment

Originally posted by GOODRUM View Post
        No,no
        These new expensive canola seeds don’t need rain
        Remember Neil and others told us that last year
        Wait now , WYF?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
          Crop variety selection comes into play as well I believe. As an example semi-dwarf crops that respond well to higher fertility also demand more water and perform poorly in a drought. Various varieties of CPS wheat I find perform poorly when it is dry compared to CWRS varieties. With barley I find quite a difference as well. I grew Synergy, Austenson and Sirish. Sirish definitely doesn’t like the dryer weather.
          Interesting about the barley did that field have a similar
          Past history as the other barley fields? Rotation past rain amounts
          Etc.? Are they side by side?
          My austenson is better as in shitty but better than
          My bow but bow is on lighter soil field.

Comment

Originally posted by the big wheel View Post
            Interesting about the barley did that field have a similar
            Past history as the other barley fields? Rotation past rain amounts
            Etc.? Are they side by side?
            My austenson is better as in shitty but better than
            My bow but bow is on lighter soil field.
            Anyone notice the roundup canola did not
            Branch out as much as liberty?

Comment

The young guys were spraying Moddus/ Manipulator on their barley this year...Well lets just say crop insurance is going to pay that bill....and I am not sure why. Cant even make cattle feed.

Comment

Anyone notice the roundup canola did not
                Branch out as much as liberty?
                Yes, but my Invigor was seeded a week later.

Comment

Maybe the thread should be renamed high risk farmers. Now that I know about the forward contracting guys are doing, I feel there is an extra layer of leveraged risk in this business that we dont need.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    The young guys were spraying Moddus/ Manipulator on their barley this year...Well lets just say crop insurance is going to pay that bill....and I am not sure why. Cant even make cattle feed.
                    Lol I shouldn’t laugh because no one can predict the weather
                    But thinking of what that would have done to
                    My barley. Lol

Which begs a question what will be done with some of
                    These fields so short but produced seed and I
                    Think many were left too long already to spray
                    Out to kill germination? Might be a mess
                    Waiting for next year. Wouldn’t dare harrow
                    Or till right now anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                      Maybe the thread should be renamed high risk farmers. Now that I know about the forward contracting guys are doing, I feel there is an extra layer of leveraged risk in this business that we dont need.
                      How many guys were contracting 20BPA at 12 bucks for fall of 2021 because that was a historically high price? And how many now have 110 percent of their crop priced?

Comment

Here too
                        Some of these guys can’t spray enough

Comment

How many guys were contracting 20BPA at 12 bucks for fall of 2021 because that was a historically high price? And how many now have 110 percent of their crop priced?
                          If I used your numbers guys would be 150% to 200% contracted in our area
                          And that’s on the fields that will be harvested some won’t.

Comment

Lol I shouldn’t laugh because no one can predict the weather
                            But thinking of what that would have done to
                            My barley. Lol

Which begs a question what will be done with some of
                            These fields so short but produced seed and I
                            Think many were left too long already to spray
                            Out to kill germination? Might be a mess
                            Waiting for next year. Wouldn’t dare harrow
                            Or till right now anyway.
                            I was toying with the idea of leaving the poorest fields and protillling them early next spring and using in crop to slow the weeds for a burnoff.

The volunteers will be crazy next year any way you slice it.

To make rows , might just use single stream with Roundup. to reduce the competition.

Comment

I dont know what the contracting numbers are. They seem hidden to this industry, but I do not consider marketing and contracting to be production risk.

We have some large neighbors, I will leave them unnamed, that are into integrated businesses now. That means they farm land, own land, do custom work, rent land, rent out land, buy and sell inputs, finance smaller guys, even buying and selling crop and then they wheal and deal with non traditional lenders and partners that most of us would never consider working with.

These are the kinds of players in this industry now and they have taken on exponential risk.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...