• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fertilizer for spring 2022

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prices pulled this week? Holy hell WTF is going on?

People are really going to pay $1000+ a ton? If you can even get any supply?

Put the farm into lentils I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      Prices pulled this week? Holy hell WTF is going on?

People are really going to pay $1000+ a ton? If you can even get any supply?

Put the farm into lentils I guess.
      Some of us in the northern part of Saskatchewan don’t have the option to put in lentils, so yes will probably pay the $1000 this fall instead of rolling the dice on price and delivery next spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
        Way things are going COW poop might be the nicest smelling fertilizer out there and already pre paid
        Ours is going on right now and smells very nice………….. not sure if the neighbours agree or not😉

Comment

How much faith do you all put in soil testing? For the most part I quit because I don’t have the faith to say use half the usual Nitrogen when a canola crop is already so expensive to grow. I pretty much just fertilize for projected removal.

With $16 Canola and sky high costs across the board, would anyone actually use less then half their usual N because a soil test said it was there?
          Last edited by Grahamp; Sep 23, 2021, 21:33.

Comment

I think the dry areas will cut back hard at seeding and top dress if it rains?

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
              How much faith do you all put in soil testing? For the most part I quit because I don’t have the faith to say use half the usual Nitrogen when a canola crop is already so expensive to grow. I pretty much just fertilize for projected removal.

With $16 Canola and sky high costs across the board, would anyone actually use less then half their usual N because a soil test said it was there?
              Yes.

I have before, and will again. But brown soil zone most certainly doesnt have the same potential.

Depending on frost, and winter snowfall, I may even cut target yields by as much as 1/3... I cant afford to do this again!

If the weather looks primo mid june I may top dress to bring those targets back up, but as said, I CANNOT afford to aim for typical targets and end up with 1/5 of a crop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
                I think the dry areas will cut back hard at seeding and top dress if it rains?
                That is definitely our plan , have done it for years , then top up when crop conditions and weather allow
                Saved over $50,000 this year by not top dressing , we had enough for an average crop at or before seeding .
                Definitely will be soil testing this fall . Already hearing high numbers in soil tests but we will wait till cooler soil temps . It’s not perfect but at least a bench mark .
                Tissue samples in June will tell the tale if we need to add more or not depending on weather .
                28-0-0 is very easy , fast and efficient to apply if needed . Also easy way to top up Sulfur.

One draw back is very poor 10-14 day forecasts here for after streaming. I found windy.ca by far the most accurate. It never showed any rain for us mostly all summer so the sprayer stayed parked .

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  $470.
                  Where was that at ?

Comment

Had a long discussion with my fertilizer agent of many years.

The guy laid out some very interesting logistic and world issues regarding fertilizer prices this spring, and it all points to higher prices in the spring.

I have always pre-bought in the fall, but he can't even give me a price cause the major players won't even commit to him.

He never pushes product on me and has always given me good advise.

So for those of you saying F-off to current fertilizer price, I would say for your sake you better do your homework.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      That is definitely our plan , have done it for years , then top up when crop conditions and weather allow
                      Saved over $50,000 this year by not top dressing , we had enough for an average crop at or before seeding .
                      Definitely will be soil testing this fall . Already hearing high numbers in soil tests but we will wait till cooler soil temps . It’s not perfect but at least a bench mark .
                      Tissue samples in June will tell the tale if we need to add more or not depending on weather .
                      28-0-0 is very easy , fast and efficient to apply if needed . Also easy way to top up Sulfur.

One draw back is very poor 10-14 day forecasts here for after streaming. I found windy.ca by far the most accurate. It never showed any rain for us mostly all summer so the sprayer stayed parked .
                      We have our own floater to top dress with. My liquid has been in the bin for 4 years. Bought it when 28-0-0 was $240. But haven't had the conditions to use it since.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

So for those of you saying F-off to current fertilizer price, I would say for your sake you better do your homework.
                        They said the same thing in 2008 but sure it could be different this time. I will grant that.

The economy is teetering right now. There are too many variables in motion.

My gut is telling me a crash before next yrs crop goes in.

If I am wrong we had enough excess nutrients to grow pretty much the same crop we had this yr.

Sometimes in farming knowing when to play defence can pay dividends.

Comment

Soil test shows we have mega sulfur and potash.
                          So only putting down N. This fall if cult can get into the ground..

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                            Had a long discussion with my fertilizer agent of many years.

The guy laid out some very interesting logistic and world issues regarding fertilizer prices this spring, and it all points to higher prices in the spring.

I have always pre-bought in the fall, but he can't even give me a price cause the major players won't even commit to him.

He never pushes product on me and has always given me good advise.

Ya I got prices this week for Nov take home, if they can get it. No supply currently. Glad it's not spring. Like everything else right now, preparing ahead might be smart. Also needed some filters some they just cant get. How great would that be with a plugged fuel filter at go time?

46 0 0 $855
                            11 52 $1130
                            00 60 $825
                            mes $1120
                            210024 $590

Comment

My grandmother told me that the secret for the best fertilizer for knockout roses is actually the homemade one.

Comment

Originally posted by wedasfaw View Post
                                My grandmother told me that the secret for the best fertilizer for knockout roses is actually the homemade one.
                                Weird bots?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...