• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Well, another week of great harvesting weather. The wind has been an issue some days and not in a good way. Swaths are lifting on odd fields. Today we could be in for a stupid insane Trudeau Type of wind so hang on to your hat.

Ok so harvest is at 76% complete for our area, Canola and oats and flax are coming off. Guys who sprayed later are sitting and waiting. Swath fields will be taken today before the wind.

HRS is all but complete and most in our area would say half a normal crop. Yes, we did better than some areas but half a crop only makes trucking easy this winter. Wheat is still grading good some elevators are playing the falling numbers game but the feed is an option so they can go pound dirt.

Durum is off and anywhere from a 3 to a 5 due to rain in August. Yield similar about half normal.

Peas and lentils are all off yields on peas half and lentils a little better but late-harvested fields have issues from the rain and hail.

Flax fields are sprayed because no one swaths any more flax. Yields are about half normal for sure. Some organic is about a 2 bushel an acre yield.

Canola harvest is underway and some fields are wow how did it do that and then you move a mile away and what the **** happened here crop to put through the combine but nothing in the pods. One large guy summed it up real easy 15 to 30 is all it will do. Talked to another guy in an area that had big rains all year and he thought he would harvest a big crop with lots of mass but not one field went over 40 not one. Regina area 26 to 35. This is areas with rain. So the heat for over 10 days did more damage at flowering than we all thought. Funny this stupid farmer farm tour had the crop in Early July at 12. 47 MT and finally now they think it might be that or a little lower. Ha, the guys from Canola council must be so proud of their stupid report in summer or other organizations that can't even get boots on the ground and look. Canola doesn't like hot dry conditions.

It's a game and they are screwing farmers. Harvest pressure this year is guys filling their $12 to 13 dollar canola contracts that all the grain companies were pushing. Plus the odd $15.

Pastures came back to life a bit with the 5 in of rain. Green feed seeded July 1 is ready to cut and should of been before the cold snap comes. Bales are picked and cows and cowboys are a bit happier again.

The X 9 did arrive and we did use it a full day to see how it works. Run a 50 ft header which is very impressive how it bends. Maybe a few will be on our farm next year.

Not much on the election front for Ag. Actually anyone here anything about a drought or problems?

So have a great week wrapping up harvest 2021 be safe and talk to your neighbors.

Oh, fertilizer is ****ing insane.

If any farmer can't figure it out that we have ****ing pigs gouging us they are a ****ing moron.

Phoned and told do the deal it's only good for 3 hours. So I said **** off. One company won't even give prices.

**** it.

But every farmer has to grow a crop to feed the pigs.

Comment

Some canola is good

Comment

will finish alfalfa this morning
        have to wait a few more days on last 240 of canola
        what a great fall!
        that is a big header sf3!

Comment

We decided to go with the 45 ft Flex.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
            what a great fall!
            How did the Alfalfa do? The weather was good for producing seed.

Will be a money maker this year.

Forages are always a sleeper.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              what a great fall!
              Is there green second growth down in the alfalfa?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                I am curious what headers do you presently run on your 790s? I have to admit my knowledge is limited on the X9, what is the horsepower comparison between your 790 and a X9? How much more grain harvested per hour in canola and wheat?

Comment

I forecasted Rains here every couple days. Just enough to give guys a break. Overall been a good fall for this area.

Area probably 70% done.

Comment

Most of us just got started harvest in the last week out here. Almost 10% done on our farm. Rained every day so far. Looks like my dream of combining dry grain will be put on hold again.
                    Yesterday at 8 degrees, we got a big hail storm. Inches of hail in some places. Barley looks bad, wheat took it much better, green standing canola faired OK, swathed, or standing ripe canola very bad. Thought that was impossible in the middle of Sept at these cold temperatures, apparently not. Big storm too. And the worst of it is on what we call the flat, which the old timers said it never hails on. That seemed to be true until I started farming down there, 3 quarters, and by far the worst damage. Same last year, and almost every year since 2017 when we first started farming it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      Most of us just got started harvest in the last week out here. Almost 10% done on our farm. Rained every day so far. Looks like my dream of combining dry grain will be put on hold again.
                      Yesterday at 8 degrees, we got a big hail storm. Inches of hail in some places. Barley looks bad, wheat took it much better, green standing canola faired OK, swathed, or standing ripe canola very bad. Thought that was impossible in the middle of Sept at these cold temperatures, apparently not. Big storm too. And the worst of it is on what we call the flat, which the old timers said it never hails on. That seemed to be true until I started farming down there, 3 quarters, and by far the worst damage. Same last year, and almost every year since 2017 when we first started farming it.
                      Very frustrating when you get that close, especially when sounds like you had decent crops.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                        That is really unfortunate when your that close. We had a storm come through yesterday afternoon about 4:30, came from the west. Was your storm mid afternoon? We had some sleet mixed with the rain and some wind that blew around the canola swaths a bit. There was hail over towards Red Deer.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                          I quickly looked over the PAMI test of the X9 vs the Claas 8800. At first I couldn’t understand why the 8800 was used until I got to the specifications and I saw the X9 had 603 hp and the Claas 610 hp. Anyway according to PAMI the X9 was harvesting just over 40 acres per hour of Viewfield wheat yielding 102 bushels per acre. Did you find in the real world you could harvest that many acres per hour? Doing the math with a 50 foot header you would be travelling over 6.5 mph, that would take some fairly ideal conditions.

Comment

That the smaller X9 1000 the 1100 is better than Class.

We’re going 45 from our 40 fts we now have.

The s790s will be replaced with the X9 it’s like the cts and 9600 you just move with the system.

Yes the 50 ft header is awesome can cut very well 6.5 mph is moving.

5 mph is our speed

Comment

We are going to 36 foot headers because our cuts were too big this year. 😂 (being sarcastic).

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...