• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good money in doggies

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good money in doggies

We had an accidental dog breeding this summer. Maremma LGDs. The bitch had nine pups. At today’s prices on pups, sure makes me wonder about keeping a few females to breed as a bit of a side venture.

Interesting and cute commodity to raise and market! lol

There were a few $20,000 litters of LGDs around here this year. I ended up having to buy a couple more so I bought a potential breeding pair, see what happens in a year or two

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
      We had an accidental dog breeding this summer. Maremma LGDs. The bitch had nine pups. At today’s prices on pups, sure makes me wonder about keeping a few females to breed as a bit of a side venture.

Interesting and cute commodity to raise and market! lol
      Yay. Yet another backyard puppy mill. Trying to sell mongrel pups for $1000 each should be illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
        Yay. Yet another backyard puppy mill. Trying to sell mongrel pups for $1000 each should be illegal.
        Wow.

What if it takes place without even "trying"?

Comment

LGD puppies, even accidental, are hardly mongrels. As working dogs raised with livestock they’re worth their weight in gold

Comment

It is crazy what people will pay or how far they will travel to buy dogs that aren't even working dogs. Yorkies are like $3000.00

Comment

This has become a dog pandemic. As soon as people got locked up, they cracked into the puppy posts on-line. All city neighbours are walking one, two and three dogs past.

My farm neighbour raises goats and sheep and has dogs that look like that, I am no dog expert to verify the breed but those dogs do a fine great job keeping coyotes away from her animals. She also raises Shelties and sells a few batches a year. One of the most interesting stories that I heard this year is of people that are selling kittens. Though the info was third-hand and I haven’t tried it out, I heard some one in nearby village sold a kitten for $400. I guess, why not?

Comment

Out of line, LGDs are in demand and short supply. Although I agree the price people are asking for mongrels is ridiculous.
                Maremma are fantastic dogs. Don’t expect any fetching though, a complete foreign concept to them.
                Last edited by Taiga; Oct 1, 2021, 08:17.

Comment

What's an LGD? Thanx, saves me looking it up.
                  Hopefully selling them spayed and neutered.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                    I know! I know!

Liberals Gone Daft!!

Do I get a prize?

Comment

Okay, I googled it.
                      Where is all the cattle for an LGD to guard? Again, spay and neuter please.

Comment

Livestock guard dogs.

Not sold spayed or neutered. That is up to the new owner, not us.

Im not Bob Barker. But I will say that the price is definitely right!

Comment

Not getting on a pulpit today but.
                          A lot of pets are owned by people who are unable to be responsible for them.
                          I have seen a lot of abandoned pets around here over the years. I predict the shelters being overwhelmed in a year.
                          Please sterilize your pets so I don't have to shoot them when they show up here starving.

Comment

Not getting on a pulpit today but.
                            A lot of pets are owned by people who are unable to be responsible for them.
                            I have seen a lot of abandoned pets around here over the years. I predict the shelters being overwhelmed in a year.
                            Please sterilize your pets so I don't have to shoot them when they show up here starving.
                            I get your concern, but I don’t think any of our buyers are doughheads. The money ppl shell out for a dog certainly weeds poor owners out in my view.

Besides, they don’t recommend neutering and spaying until six months of age.

Also, this isn’t California with high pop density.

Comment

Okay, I googled it.
                              Where is all the cattle for an LGD to guard? Again, spay and neuter please.
                              Ha, missed this post. Most lgds are on goat and sheep farms. Cows hardly need the guarding so much. Or hobby farms where ppl have chickens etc. on an acreage and want a guaranteed barking dog at strangers and the intimidation factor a 3000 dollar Bernese mountain dog doesn’t usually give! They also do make incredibly loyal, if large pets. For their owners, they are big babies, sweet dispositions. But independent thinkers which is why they belong outside on the range for the most part. That is where they are happiest, laying out in the snow and wind at thirty below, despite their doghouse being ten yards away. Lol

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...