• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good money in doggies

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
    Out of line, LGDs are in demand and short supply. Although I agree the price people are asking for mongrels is ridiculous.
    Maremma are fantastic dogs. Don’t expect any fetching though, a complete foreign concept to them.
    I stand by my post. Did you miss where Sheep was crowing about the money he can make on mongrel pups? Where he is contemplating adding more ******* to his harem? If it walks and quacks like a duck it's another POS backyard puppy mill. Sell those pups for what you have in them if it's such an altruistic service providing cattle dogs to those in need. About a bag and a half of Puppy Chow should do it. Would you buy an unregistered mongrel bull for a herd and pay full registered price? Would you buy bin run seed and pay full pedigreed price? If you want to make a quick buck then fine. Don't be surprised when you're not respected for it.

Comment

The dogs are worth whatever people will pay. The law of supply and demand is king. Where did this Tucker come from?

Comment

I have had two dogs on the farm during my time. The first was an expensive pure bred Golden Retriever from a breeder and it was the stupidest most useless mutt full of health problems. The second was a mongrel that I got for free from a local farm that was the smartest most loyal campaign that you could ask for. She was around here for 13 years with really no health problems and is still missed today. I haven't missed the pure bred yet and would choose a mongrel any day!

Comment

Same here, only ever PAID for a purebred Golden Retriever, useless, dug up the yard even dug in the gravel driveway. Stupid thing had a rolled under eye lash, $500 after surgery and trips to vet...Then bit a nephew so put the most expensive lesson down. Last was very mixed, FREE found on road puppy, best friend the young boys could have ever had. Smart, minded us, understood English, guarded us 24x7. No stranger even got close to the wife, he stayed between them, even growled. 12 years of dedicated love.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670 small.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	771709
          Last edited by fjlip; Oct 1, 2021, 19:36.

Comment

Beautiful dog Fjip

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
              I stand by my post. Did you miss where Sheep was crowing about the money he can make on mongrel pups? Where he is contemplating adding more ******* to his harem? If it walks and quacks like a duck it's another POS backyard puppy mill. Sell those pups for what you have in them if it's such an altruistic service providing cattle dogs to those in need. About a bag and a half of Puppy Chow should do it. Would you buy an unregistered mongrel bull for a herd and pay full registered price? Would you buy bin run seed and pay full pedigreed price? If you want to make a quick buck then fine. Don't be surprised when you're not respected for it.
              Who said anything about raising mongrels? These are purebred marremmas in high demand. If you don’t know the whole story, posting nonsense can make you look quite, well, fill in the blank.

Comment

We brought a young Maremma pup from a Manitoba Sheep community pasture where the dogs were pretty wild. My sheep had never seen a dog that didnt chase them and viewed as a scary predator. This pup got out of the truck walked to the middle of the pen, played on it's back with feet in the air and all the sheep crowded her and smelled her and it was instant love, never seen anything like that, just incredible bond. She was a fantastic dog. The 2 weve had were good but most people have trouble with them wandering. We also had a Golden Retiever that thought she was a sheepdog too, slept with them and protected the farm, another great dog. Currently have a black lab, she is good for making me smile because she is super funny but that's about it!

Nothing wrong with farm or family raised puppies purebred or Heinz 57, to me a puppy mill is countless litters raised in cages for profit which happens by "purebred breeders" also yet they are the first to cast stones at someone like Sheepwheat.

Comment

When we were young, our mongrels lived under the back steps, never saw a vet, chased the cats, ate kitchen scraps and brought the cows home for milking. One collie cross lived for at least 18 years. That was a long time ago. Today, our friends’ dogs are at the vet several times a year, are fed unknown types of dog food (which they don’t like), get hip dysplasia,are only allowed out twice a day on a short leash and they seem to get kidney disease, cancer, eye ailments. Also they sleep with the owners. They don’t live as long as the mongrel under the step and never spend a night outside so they can howl at the moon. Just an observance that ain’t worth much. 🤷🏻 Which dog would you rather be?
                  Last edited by sumdumguy; Oct 2, 2021, 10:37.

Comment

I’ve got a Komondor (and a Komondor cross) She’s a sweetie and definitely good at her job. Currently she’s sporting a war wound on her throat, it’s the time of year they tend to have more full contact confrontations with the coyotes. Although her best ability is keeping the cows away from the house. Which wouldn’t normally be an issue except I graze the cows close to the house so she can get annoying 😂

I’ve thought of doing some health testing and breeding her. Komondors are a rare breed that need conservation and it’s a struggle to find pure ones. Some people are terrified of their coats though so they aren’t a go to breed like the other white ones. People on soapboxes shouldn’t be deterrents for trying to preserve heritage breeds.

LGDs aren’t on the same level as other farm dogs. You can get good farm dogs that bark and deter predators but non LGD breeds just don’t think like LGDs do. My mom swears Willow is a moron because she barely listens, they aren’t wired to make people happy the same way other breeds are. They’re thinkers. If they don’t think you have a good reason for asking them to do something, they just don’t do it Lol

Comment

Grass is very green at your place Blaithon, ours has dried out to a crisp.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                        Grass is very green at your place Blaithon, ours has dried out to a crisp.
                        That’s last year 😂

She had a hair cut a couple weeks ago so looks ridiculous now. Had to pick a nicer photo.
                        Last edited by Blaithin; Oct 6, 2021, 08:38.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...