• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daughter hit home run with turkeys this year.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughter hit home run with turkeys this year.

My Turkey raising daughter was able to find an amazing market this fall for her turkeys at crazy high prices.

I am still frustrated that the supply management system limits the potential of tapping into high value speciallty markets.

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    My Turkey raising daughter was able to find an amazing market this fall for her turkeys at crazy high prices.

I am still frustrated that the supply management system limits the potential of tapping into high value speciallty markets.
    I earned my allowance at age 10 with 250 broilers for that life lesson I'm for ever grateful to my parents.

Comment

Maybe a few neighbours will let her set up a coop on their land?

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
        Maybe a few neighbours will let her set up a coop on their land?
        We’re wondering that. Or even if they are on a different quarter and call them mine? Need to research this more. I don’t think I’m going to call one of the 12 commodity Turkey farmers, nor their organization who control the market though! lol

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
          I earned my allowance at age 10 with 250 broilers for that life lesson I'm for ever grateful to my parents.
          Yeah me too, but this is more like a living wage nowadays when ppl shell out 100 bucks a bird.

Comment

Right on Sheepwheat 👍
            Our kids are excited now that the layers are starting to lay here. Great life and financial lessons which are better than any textbook come from these projects.

Nothing beats growing up on the farm🍀

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
              Right on Sheepwheat 👍
              Our kids are excited now that the layers are starting to lay here. Great life and financial lessons which are better than any textbook come from these projects.

Nothing beats growing up on the farm🍀
              Lol when I was a little kid we had layers. Then up until about ten years ago we never had any. When we did get some hens, and I found my first egg, it was profound! Lol it was like Christmas every day for a while there. If you can keep them laying, it is definitely profitable. High protein food and lights on a timer in winter will help keep them laying!

Comment

Good for her !!!!

Question would anyone actual come count or care if she had more turkeys the the stupid quota system allowed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Leduc cowboy View Post
                  Good for her !!!!

Question would anyone actual come count or care if she had more turkeys the the stupid quota system allowed ?
                  If you have a jealous neighbour, or one you don’t get along with. All it takes is a phone call to cause trouble. Have heard of that before.

Comment

Just don’t talk numbers!

Comment

What is the limit that one producer can raise?

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                        If you have a jealous neighbour, or one you don’t get along with. All it takes is a phone call to cause trouble. Have heard of that before.
                        Chuck would be one of those

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                          What is the limit that one producer can raise?
                          Ninety nine

Comment

Originally posted by Leduc cowboy View Post
                            Good for her !!!!

Here, the hatcheries have to keep record of how many birds they sell and where.

There is potential for industrious creativity.

The overlords do take it seriously.

I've had more than one round with the pricks over inspections.

Comment

Just a thought……… if she filed farm income tax and leased a couple acres off you would she become a producer that’s independent of you? Probably have to house them separate too. Crazy ideas……..

Good luck🍀

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...