• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breaking discs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking discs

Lots of areas that would never be considered
    To farm are dry so wondering what are good
    Sod type discs? See some deep curved blades
    Not sure if those cut as good as the others?

kello bilt is all you need
    doesn't matter if its 30 years old

Comment

Depends if you're renting or buying.
      My 225 kello too light to cut real hard stuff without a weight box. They make heavier models. Never changed a Kello bearing.
      However, anything else and your fixing steady unless it's new. Wisheks you rent only but they're heavy.
      Our Landoll will do sloughs etc in 3-4 passes but it's still awful expensive to run.
      Discs are like sheep. Born to die.

Comment

We have an old Allis Chalmers tandem disc
        Works ok but it is getting very wore now .
        Very hard to even get parts the past few years

Comment

Have a 30’ Wishek 842 that has been very good, seen a lot of brush and rocks. Wishek’s are a lot heavier than Kello at over 1000lbs/ft. Kelly’s are good though.
          The 22’ Wishek is the worst size, and is the size Flaman rents, because the wings are too short and so they don’t have the weight on the wings and they ride up and don’t penetrate as deep as the center main frame.

Comment

We have rented disks in the past from Flamans etc and it works but always would have liked to have something handy for the old slough as it comes up. Our old 27 foot Case disk was great for normal field work but take it into a slough with rocks and your breaking blades constantly. Several years ago I finally found a Rome disk at a cheap price. Those old Rome disks are basically indestructible IMO. Our is only 12 feet but its great as fire guard unit and follows the combine quite a bit if needed (once). The amount of old rock piles in the bottom of sloughs that we discover when the disk goes over them is pretty common (lots of rocks in my parts). Ours came out of Nebraska on Big Iron auctions.

Comment

Kello 275 16’. Cheaper than wishek and will outlast anything else on ur farm. Like everything a new one 15 years ago was $20k. Now they’ll be $40k….and here’s the kicker, nothing has changed on them.

Comment

I’ll give you guys the good news if you want to hear it.

I have rented discs three times in the fall, to “retake” sloughs and put them back into production. Each time, it caused excessive rainfall, and it was a waste of my time and money.

But when you get those sloughs nice n black, it WILL rain, and do its best to fill them back up with water.

So good on y’all for giving it a whirl. Western Canada will thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post

I have rented discs three times in the fall, to “retake” sloughs and put them back into production. Each time, it caused excessive rainfall, and it was a waste of my time and money.

But when you get those sloughs nice n black, it WILL rain, and do its best to fill them back up with water.

That could be 100% correct but I did a few
                  So called sloughs last fall with an older deep tiller
                  And used neighbours light disks that ended
                  Up a work project in replacing bearings.
                  But those areas at least had something
                  That resembled a crop. It didn’t make a whole
                  Lot of money as not a big area but at least i
                  Had something to look at all year that I wasn’t
                  Depressed about. Lol
                  But you could be right could be all for nothing
                  But if my disking holes causes rain I m all in!!
                  Might not fit your area I understand.

Comment

The 26ft Wishek has been a good unit on our farm. It’s chewing up some low spots right now that have been unattainable for 20 some years. It’s a nice feeling when your gaining ground, especially if you try to keep your mind off the reality that the lifeblood of your business went extinct from these low places and they might be the only legitimate crop next season.
                    We did make the mistake of overgreasing the greasable bearings on the wishek and pushing out some seals. It’s a real dusi of a job changing them out. The Kello-bilt disc we had for some time had an oil bath bearing that was bulletproof but it was too light for a lot of jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post

The low areas we built back better the past two years were the only areas that actually produced this year
                      Those few low areas added up to about 100 ax and produced about 20-25% of our total production
                      Without those low areas our yields would have been even more dismal
                      Probably doing another 100 ac the past few days with a Salford 4100 .
                      If not flooded they are 100 % ready to seed now
                      If they fill with water great, if not it will be extremely important to our bottom line
                      These are seasonal wet areas that eat up some of our most productive land .
                      The big natural sloughs will obviously be left , they are actually wet lands which are valuable too.
                      Time will tell , but it was sure satisfying on a dry year in an extremely dry area to have some nice crop to harvest

Comment

It was these same highly productive areas that helped us get through the drought of 2000 to 2003

Comment

We have a 25 ft Hutchmaster, does a good job.

It's heavy enough to cut and and can takes stones well.

We also have a 10 ft Bush Hog for making fire guards, that thing is a beast for cutting.

Comment

I guess as another idea sheepwheat at some point
                            Will be right they likely will become too wet
                            Was thinking If a person could time it right and
                            Seed Timothy or some other water liking hay
                            Then some good use could be made of those
                            Areas in wetter years. But I don’t see that for at least
                            A couple.

Comment

I have a 10 blade Rome. Only goes after the cat. Then we have a 1225 ezeeon and an old 14 foot tandem ezeeon. Would like a 20+’ tandem for doing low spots. Only way for us to keep low spots not flooding is to landscape them and add some dirt. We’re in pothole country. Rockpiles end up in these potholes so pushing those rocks in and capping them with clay and topsoil works. Don’t really have any big drainage schemes nor want to move all the water off in a big way. Still have moo moos so water is important but don’t mind consolidating into one place instead of a bunch of sloughs. Those old Rome plows are beasts. The grease bath bearings are indestructible and really not bad to change disks in the right frame of mind. Neighbour has a 12 blade whom the previous owner put a set of wheels on the back for transport.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...