• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

46 was quoted today 1060 take home now.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
      But if it’s not removed how are those nutrients removed? To me they are just in a different form.
      My take as well. There has never been a more amazing free cover crop over much of western Canada. The soil is happy. And then everyone sprays out the free cover crop of growing living roots, because most guys think it doesn’t look like it should, which of course is barren and various shades of brown, tan, gold, not green.

I get the moisture use in a year like this I guess. But if it was moisture use ppl were concerned about, would they have not sprayed it far before it got so out of hand?

Lots of guys still spraying the free cover crop, days before frost will do it for free? Yes, perennial weed control, but most fields including ones I drove a cross, have virtually no perennial weeds.

I think it’s just the appeal and the peer pressure to have a field that doesn’t look “messy” or uncared for. So blow another ten or more buck an acre?

Maybe the govt will come through with an ad hoc and cover the cost of spraying out the best thing possible for the soil in many years, in an industry that is sorely lacking a grasp of soil health.

I’m always missing something, but in this case, I’m REALLY missing something I guess?
      Last edited by Sheepwheat; Oct 8, 2021, 07:42.

Comment

Originally posted by jwab
        But if it’s not removed how are those nutrients removed? To me they are just in a different form.
        This happened in the drought of 2001-2002 , we left it one year to let the frost take it out.
        Those areas showed up big time the following spring .
        Yes the nutrients aren’t totally gone , but they are not there available for next year from what I seen .
        Will depend on breakdown and weather for sure .
        The nutrients may not be lost but they certainly were not readily available for the next crop .
        Hopefully all that plant material in some fields does break down for guys for next year . Fertilizer is an awfully dig expense for next years crop .
        Would be interesting to see some tissue tests from those areas next June compared to areas with minimal regrowth. I may do that in that strip along with a soil test this fall .
        May see a difference, may not

Comment

Almost all the btos have sprayed their fields. Why I don't know . Like running their toys across field and supporting chem companies.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
            Almost all the btos have sprayed their fields. Why I don't know . Like running their toys across field and supporting chem companies.
            Here they did it in between draining thirty acre sloughs, pushing the natural windbreaks and drift reducers, and it seems like lots of them would far rather have an eight foot deep trench in the landscape, than a half acre pothole that oh the horror, you have to go around! So now they have a three hundred yard trench to farm around. Looks good from the road I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
              Here they did it in between draining thirty acre sloughs, pushing the natural windbreaks and drift reducers, and it seems like lots of them would far rather have an eight foot deep trench in the landscape, than a half acre pothole that oh the horror, you have to go around! So now they have a three hundred yard trench to farm around. Looks good from the road I guess?
              It was not long ago that wars broke out over drainage. Not so much now.

Comment

It was not long ago that wars broke out over drainage. Not so much now.
                Yeah one guy took out a treeline without telling the neighbor who valued that treeline. I’m not sure what came of that situation, but it wasn’t pretty.

Comment

This was an unusual year. We dont usually do a lot of fall spraying but the regrowth of canola was taking moisture and now volunteer lentils with thistle and round leaf mallow couldnt be ignored anymore.

Some of this growth is almost 2 months old and no real hard frost in the forecast.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211002_102019.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	771758

This is what I found on the volunteer lentils.

Comment

Its a very interesting year.

Lentils on a field in 2020 sprayed with heat and roundup as a preharvest . The field was sprayed with Rup and authority this spring for flax and sprayed preharvest with Rup.

Volunteer lentils that germinated on the surface from last year on the 2021 flax field.

Sort of highlights what good is authority?

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                        [ATTACH]8850[/ATTACH]

We seen the same thing in our faba beans , the nodules kept going

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                          Nodulated nicely, probably fixed some N in the process, but with the weeds coming in there now, we are terminating them today.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            This was an unusual year. We dont usually do a lot of fall spraying but the regrowth of canola was taking moisture and now volunteer lentils with thistle and round leaf mallow couldnt be ignored anymore.

Some of this growth is almost 2 months old and no real hard frost in the forecast.
                            We left fields like that in the past , regretting it next spring big time .
                            Each to their own . Here we had enough moisture at harvest to get a flush
                            Next spring will tell the tale

Comment

Our wheat fields have only shown wheat growth and soybeans have nothing. With cooling trend weed growth will stop . Spraying mallow with roundup if the seeds have formed is too late. It is a problem here HW has been one of the solutions along with rup in beans. Kochia is bad this year.

Comment

My main thought as I have driven the country post harvest is what a year to have had it all fenced. The lbs of gain on lamb and the post weaning ewe recovery would have been phenomenal.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...