• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    My main thought as I have driven the country post harvest is what a year to have had it all fenced. The lbs of gain on lamb and the post weaning ewe recovery would have been phenomenal.
    Very true if one had animals, perfect late fall grassing opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
      Very true if one had animals, perfect late fall grassing opportunity.
      It’s funny in australia they have the biggrain farms and a few thousand sheep on the side and they run them all over the grain land in the off season. Interesting to me.

If it doesn’t snow do a while, had I had the one quarter fenced, I estimate I would have had an extra two months of grazing. That’s a lot of bales saved…

I gotta get control of my life. 20 20 all the time gets tiring!

Comment

It’s funny in australia they have the biggrain farms and a few thousand sheep on the side and they run them all over the grain land in the off season. Interesting to me.

If it doesn’t snow do a while, had I had the one quarter fenced, I estimate I would have had an extra two months of grazing. That’s a lot of bales saved…

I gotta get control of my life. 20 20 all the time gets tiring!
        fall grazing on grainland is great but should be done after freeze up to reduce compaction from livestock.I corn grazed a chunk of land 4 years in a row.It was actually using less nitrogen because of the manure .But I sure would not want to do it without the ground froze up.

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
          fall grazing on grainland is great but should be done after freeze up to reduce compaction from livestock.I corn grazed a chunk of land 4 years in a row.It was actually using less nitrogen because of the manure .But I sure would not want to do it without the ground froze up.
          Yeah that is my next step to try grazing corn. Neighbor has a good thing going on. Excellent canola after a winter grazed paddock. Very little input fertility needed.

Comment

Yeah that is my next step to try grazing corn. Neighbor has a good thing going on. Excellent canola after a winter grazed paddock. Very little input fertility needed.
            Biggest expense was the seed but I used a pioneer libertylink and round up ready.If I did it again would go with a forage ordinarycorn.Lots of options for spraying weeds incrop like distinct.Much cheaper in the end.Put posts in before freeze up and graze 3 or 4 days at a time .They clean up stalks good before going into fresh cobs. My biggest problem was huge flocks of black birds coming in and eating all kernels from cobs.

Comment

Not sure about grazing here. The migratory birds aren't even staying.
              Very poor year for the hunters.

Comment

Guys with bad Kochia did you double spray your canola and did you spray your cereals early

Comment

Clear your private message box. Sent you a pm

Comment

I have guys grazing corn then either doing barely silage , green feed or swath grazing then back to corn
                    Helps with weed control and keeps fertility cost on the low side keeping the animals out there

Comment

Originally posted by AllisWD45 View Post
                      Clear your private message box. Sent you a pm
                      Try resending. Cleared out!

Comment

We were half done our winter feeding when this stuff was sprayed in June. Less work than growing greenfeed and next to nothing to do in the winter. I know a fellow east of me that grazes ewes on it too. Definitely fits the KISS theory well.

They’ll start on it within a week or two.

Any questions just ask🍀

Comment

Woodland or furrow any experience with silage baling corn? I know Olds College had planned to do that a couple years ago and had a shorter variety that was really bushy and thick, I never heard how it turned out. Would like to try some corn but not sure I want to graze it.

Is it a must to use a planter or can a guy experiment with the drill?

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                            Woodland or furrow any experience with silage baling corn? I know Olds College had planned to do that a couple years ago and had a shorter variety that was really bushy and thick, I never heard how it turned out. Would like to try some corn but not sure I want to graze it.

Is it a must to use a planter or can a guy experiment with the drill?
                            My neighbor has been growing corn for years using a press drill with 1/2 or 2/3's of the runs blocked off. Works very well for him. Has very even consistent stands.

His corn this year with no rain is easily the best corn I've seen in years.

My thoughts on silage baling is that it would need to be a chopping baler. I'm thinking the stalks would need to be chopped to let the sap out to help ensile the rest of the material which would be very low moisture by the time it is ready to silage. But I have no experience at all.

Comment

I seeded with a Morris drill.then I rolled it.Just kept switching gears and testing to get the right rate. Never blocked any runs 10 inch spacing.My corn was also a charity corn maze fund raiser but on 12 acres I feed 75 cows for 6 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by newguy View Post
                                I seeded with a Morris drill.then I rolled it.Just kept switching gears and testing to get the right rate. Never blocked any runs 10 inch spacing.My corn was also a charity corn maze fund raiser but on 12 acres I feed 75 cows for 6 weeks
                                That is really cool!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...