• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woodland View Post
    These last quarters didn’t come up till late June.

This was from July 12 and we were pretty sure it wouldn’t make it. The fact it ran in the teens for yield was surprising. Sample canola is worth $17 to the feed mill which is fine with me. Gas is way cheaper to me than leaving a crop out over winter. Currently raining lightly here while welding up cracks in the old feed truck.

We stop when the combine can no longer physically eat it. Sometimes it feels like your riding the space shuttle from all the rumbling and grumbling going on behind ya. 😎

Good luck AF5. Hopefully your weather window stays open. Far from ready for the big freeze here🍀
    Glad you got er done , reminds me of a few years ago
    Was a struggle to get it off as well . Never fun but glad when done

Comment

I've lost track of how many consecutive years we have combined any time it would go through the machine, and kept trying any way possible long after it wouldn't go through. Then dealing with the equipment damage, and all the hassles and baby sitting involved with having every bin full of wet grain.

So this year, being the first half of October, and being almost done, I'll give it a chance. Have combined canola with snow on the ground every year lately, so if it comes to that, will do so again, but at least it might be frozen drier, and the stalks not green enough to silage by then. Probably try again tomorrow. Under 13 is close enough.

The crazy part, is that this isn't second growth, or late germination, these last quarters were seeded in decent time, up in record time, and quit flowering when they should. And had no rain for most of the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
        I've lost track of how many consecutive years we have combined any time it would go through the machine, and kept trying any way possible long after it wouldn't go through. Then dealing with the equipment damage, and all the hassles and baby sitting involved with having every bin full of wet grain.

So this year, being the first half of October, and being almost done, I'll give it a chance. Have combined canola with snow on the ground every year lately, so if it comes to that, will do so again, but at least it might be frozen drier, and the stalks not green enough to silage by then. Probably try again tomorrow. Under 13 is close enough.

The crazy part, is that this isn't second growth, or late germination, these last quarters were seeded in decent time, up in record time, and quit flowering when they should. And had no rain for most of the summer.
        Good luck , very strange year .
        Hopefully you get er done without too much headache

Comment

AF5 wanted me to post this for him.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
            AF5 wanted me to post this for him.
            Wow 😳

Comment

Picture was taken on Thursday. Canola straw was so green it wrapped around the rotor on the lexion.
              Perhaps full season canola varieties aren't the best idea in the coldest place on the prairies. P501, L241 and L345 still remaining. 44H44, L234 and Canterra 2600 and quite a bit of the L241 already combined, and close to dry. P501 was drastically later than the L241 seeded at the same time. But appears to be yielding accordingly better as well.

I just can't figure out where it found the water to hold on.

Comment

Was the H44 relatively early ?

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  Was the H44 relatively early ?
                  Yes, in the end.
                  But I was disappointed with it all year. Seeded it right next to Canterra 2600 same time. It was slower out of the ground, later to flower, then finished flowering at the same time. I had low expectations.

By harvest, it looked like solid pods, and yielded accordingly. No noticeable difference between it and the 2600 on the same ground. Except in pod shatter. It is not sold as a pod shatter variety, but was assured that it almost made pod shatter designation, but it was far better than the 2600. Hailed in mid September while fairly green and pliable. can see shattered pods all over the 2600, none in the 44h44. Moose tracks all white empty pods in the 2600, ends at the 44h44.
                  And it lays over, I'm so frustrated with all the new varieties that stand straight up waving in the wind. Doesn't lodge nearly as well as the older varieties of anything of course.

I'll be growing more of that next year for sure. Finally something designed for our climate and conditions.

Edit, the picture is L241 Direct seeded into sod. Same quarter has P501 at the other end, direct seeded into stubble. It was even higher moisture, but went through the combines without wrapping at least.
                  Could easily silage the straw, although it might need to dry down for a few days first...
                  Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Oct 13, 2021, 20:09.

Comment

Ya all these new varieties seem to have good points and not so much
                    Was impressed with the H44 podding too here , it does have a fit in some areas

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      Ya all these new varieties seem to have good points and not so much
                      Was impressed with the H44 podding too here , it does have a fit in some areas
                      What we often find in this area, is that short season varieties don't necessarily behave as short season varieties. Grew the previous iteration of Pioneers early canola, 43E03 and it behaved nearly the same as the full season RR's seeded along side.
                      L120 I would seed first, then it would be the last to harvest, compared to any RR's I tried at the same time.

We just don't get the heat or run out of moisture, so the plants just keep going.

Comment

Most years here you see a wide range in varieties

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...