• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steel Buildings

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I would also recommend getting some prices on higher sidewalls, you may be surprised how little it changes the price. Even if you don’t have equipment issues now, it is sure nice to have the clearance, just imagine using your loader inside to lift something to work on it, etc. Lots of reasons to build higher.

Comment

We have a few combine - type sheds for the big stuff. These are just project (tinkering) sheds. Anything taller can go into the big sheds.

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
        Did you use poles or a Concrete slab?

We did ours 33 years ago, 40X64X16 on 8" concrete slab on poly, with 1/2" rebar on 12x12 grid on 12" of compacted gravel. Insulted outside of slab and 24" horizontal. Walls 2x6 plus 2x4 second inner wall, R 32. R50 ceiling with 24" OC rafters. 16x 14 R16 door. Costs about $400 to heat a year with a 1975 Olsen 60% furnace. Not one crack in slab so far. Heated even in first winter. 6" eavestroughs, 12" overhangs all around. 20x30 is a dedicated wood work room, keeps all sawdust there. Above 20x40 mezzanine for office and storage, and it's FULL. 33 winters of hobbies and repairs. Best investment of my career. My Advice is Build as soon as you can.

Poles are jacking out with frost in some sheds. Concrete has been a crap shoot too, crumbling under bins and sheds.
        Just poles 4’ in at 6’ Centers
        Real good so far
        Yes good advice
        We waited until near the end of our run

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
          These prices shock me a little. $100 a sq foot would be more than a typical farm house and more than my first house in Calgary. Unless people are living in their shops now.

In 2001 we put up a pretty modest 40x80x14 shop but because of being on gumbo it got a full grade beam on piles and then stick built on that. A 20x40 smallish pad in front to work on, no insulation. No eaves, one double slider door. That cost $30k back then. Probably be 3 times that now.
          Jazz building in east central Alberta isn't cheap...

I would rather have a 100yr + built shop building that is trouble free as many farmers spend much more time in their shop than in their house.. and it isn't taxed in Alberta... offices, bathrooms, tool room, parts rooms lounge... computer room, lounge... we did a utility mechanical service module [8wx10l'x21'h] so only NG boiler in there, 2nd floor with stairs up to 10' level... 25'x27' 'centre block' plus the 8'x10' 2nd floor 11' h observation lounge with office and covered deck 10'x8'. 2' eaves everywhere... cat5 wired throughout... Floors built for fully loaded semis... buttresses at the door corners. Very cheap to heat... never over 22c in the summer with doors closed the Concrete foundation itself keeps it cool with zero air conditioning.

Can't beat a good well built shop.

BTW put dormers over walk in doors and big doors on end of the building.

With screws covered metal roofing the snow and ice is destructive to anything it lands on 21’ down off the roof especially on the south side… but the snow and ice self clear nicely!

Cheers
          Last edited by TOM4CWB; Oct 31, 2021, 16:13.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
            Integrity was fast with quotes. 50x60 x 14 foot wall. 40 foot diamond power bifold door and 2 walki-in doors and a few windows. Cost $80,000.
            14 ft , no, don’t do it

Comment

If your a machinery "Flipper " you don't need a big shed or heated shop..

Comment

Anyone move, sell or buy a steel arch Quonset, Behlen with the base plate bolted to concrete.? Know any one who has? Was it worth it?

I see a neighbor erecting one, 50x200, on 4' tall foundation, gives 18' door opening.

Comment

Anyone move, sell or buy a steel arch Quonset, Behlen with the base plate bolted to concrete.? Know any one who has? Was it worth it?

I see a neighbor erecting one, 50x200, on 4' tall foundation, gives 18' door opening.
                  Waste of money building a Quonset as far as I’m concerned, way to much wasted space.We have one in our yard.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                    Waste of money building a Quonset as far as I’m concerned, way to much wasted space.We have one in our yard.
                    We got lucky.snow load collapsed ours in 2012..
                    Seemed like a nightmare at time.
                    But no regrets with a pole, straight wall as a result..

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                      Agreed!

Comment

We have a quonset built with the base plate on top of a grade beam back in the early 80's. The building is still in great shape with no rust and hasn't required any maintenance/work. Its really not that bad of building and theres more than enough miscellaneous equipment to park along the walls.

The straight wall shed is still best, but there's a pile of equipment around the yard that don't need 20' wall height.

Comment

Ours same in 1981, 51x100, 24x14' door height is biggest negative. The concrete is going to sh it. Not sure if any investment/repair is worth it. Maybe "give away"? Free to be moved?

The people with 50x200 going up bought cheap as a pile of sheets several years old. 4' concrete x 500'+ was not cheap.

Comment

Just saw this. Any sheds look like this?

https://www.thecombineforum.com/thre...issues.341547/
                            holy ***
                            i woulda lost it , must be some people off the street thought they could build a shed ???
                            prairie post should be all over that ?? can't be very proud?

Comment

Had some pavement once that went for shit in 2 yrs.
                              Guy came out to look and told me the couldn't do anything because the gravel they used eas no good for asphalt.
                              I said what has that got to do with me?
                              Good reputations are a long term thing.
                              As sholes come and go all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                                holy ***
                                i woulda lost it , must be some people off the street thought they could build a shed ???
                                prairie post should be all over that ?? can't be very proud?

The lumber might have been wet/and/rough. Maybe as it dried, it shrunk and twisted? We have four Goodon sheds, never a problem but Integrity will probably build these two. We’ve seen some of theirs being built.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...