• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top - Phos

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by workboots View Post
    This idea that phosphorus in its traditional fertilizer formations is becoming “locked up”. I’d like to see the evidence for this. I’m talking long term inaccessible loss to the point that a producer would not be able to utilize this phosphate for plant growth in the foreseeable future.

I like the low salt feature of some of these new products and perhaps we have a good candidate for a seed safe starter but I doubt this has any economical value as a soil nutrient building tool.
    This is a great question that I couldn't even begin to fully understand but my two cents would be alot of factors influence the rate with no set "time" scale. Ph, moisture, soil content/type (clay), temperature, biological, and time

Mineralization- the amount of organic material turned into inorganic phosphorus through soil biological activity. Humic acid plays a role here creating healthy soil crumbs and food for biologicals realasing inorganic material back into a soil solution phosphorus (plant available) temp, moisture also effect speed at which OM is broken down.

Adsorption- Process in which metal ions (inorganic phosphorus or plant available) bind with other elements, this rate is influenced by ph and soil type. High ph tend to have elevated Ca and low ph elevated Al, Fe or called "sorbed phosphorus" This is where TPA gets involved and has big upside. The realses or unbinding process is called dissolution and is extreamly slow.

Out of all 3 of the phosphorus "pools" in your soil it is of my understanding that the fixed pool consisting of phosphorus that is unavailable for plant uptake and is comprised of primary minerals (insoluble inorganic phosphate compounds) and organic phosphorus compounds that do not mineralize easily would be the largest.

Second pool consists of "absorbed" phosphorus so your binded po4 and organic phosphorus that minerlizes easier.

Third and smallest would be your inorganic (plant available) phosphorus.

Comment

On our own small scale trials we put
      The same actual of top crop as 11 52
      The top crop had a higher yield but cost
      Was up obviously. When we put what
      They said we had slight yield advantage
      Of top crop but a healthier looking plant
      When we put lower yield was way less than
      The 11 52.
      So equal amounts of 11 52 to actual top Krop did
      Prove on our trials that top krop is more available
      Then 11 52.