• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FNA roundup & chemical priceing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FNA roundup & chemical priceing

finnaly a generic glyphosate. How long has it taken 10 - 15 years. and we still need an import permit.thats palthetic.
    How about some free market competition in the ag chem industry. they have had their patent protection, once the patent has expired open the border and allow real competition.
    what we have now amounts to supply management for the richest companies in the world.we have to compete why dont they.
    think of all the patent expired chems were still paying though the nose for.opening the borders would cut our costs in 1/2.
    im sure the chinese would supply us for 1/2 to 1/4 of what we are now paying.
    Bayer & monsantos control of priceing the old stuff affects what they charge for new stuff.would you pay $5.50/acre for refine if you could get bucturl m for $2. would you pay $50/acre for the latest canola chem seed combo if treflan was $4/acre. china could whip up an old wildoat spray to keep the new stuff in line.
    all the subsidies in the world wont help us if the chem companies have power to suck off every dime.

Hopefully you and every other farmer imports some of this cheap glyphosate so we can send the message to the gov't and the chemical companies that Canadian farmers are tired of getting the shaft.

Don't just talk about it, get your application in, even if its for a small amount!!!!

Comment

Right on guys I am sick of being taken to the cleaners on chemicals. I started a thread in crop production called monsanto you should read! Some person( maybe not even a farmer} made some dumb comments about being a better farmer and deal maker than anyone else and that he was happy with today's ROI. What a joke! I think it is a great thing that FNA is doing and it will help the smaller farmer as well....Big farm- small farm we are in this thing together!

Comment

Has FNA been able to deliver Glyphosate Yet???

Comment

plowjockey

there hasnt been much to laugh about latley but the comments of the flyn guy,what planet is he from.unbleiveable.

maybe a few years ago you might have found someone like that in our area maybe.
          big or small, ,market whiz or not, no one is gonna say that,
          we were at wine and dine chemical /grain company thing, 100 farmers each farm from 1000 to 12000 acres some 35 to 40 , mostly 50 and up. there were 2 guys in their early 20s. this industry is in severe trouble

Comment

bird
            hopefully FNA will deliver,but remember Focus on Inputs never deliverd a drop.and still brought the price down 4$/liter

my order is in, is yours?

Comment

Yes it is and I am trying to get more farms involved! Talked to the people at FNA numerous times and they have me convinced just "hoping-wondering" if things will all work out for the betterment of farming.

Comment

Plowjockey and sawfly,

I don't understand why you are so pissed off at me! All I said is that I am able to make a decent living at farming. Todays market enviroment works for me.
                It is not me that is wrong with Agriculture today it is you. People like you try to bring anyone down that can succeed when others can't. I just tried to bring in different outlook on things. I hope that things turn around for you. I don't know how this FNA roundup will pan out. But if you can't make a go of it now, I highly doubt cheaper glyphos will save farms on a mass scale. A good marketing plan and using your farms equity in off farm investments will earn you more money than a cheap burn off in the spring ever will. No matter how cheap glypos gets if farmers continue to sell at the bottom end of the market they will never make money. Good luck in the up coming crop year.

Comment

I think there's too much focus on Glyphos...Pre-seed burn will cost only a few % of total inputs. Why not focus on some of the bigger costs? If it all works out, FNA product would be cheaper than the application rate, and that's using last year's numbers, not the huge increase in fuel prices over last spring's. Does/should FNA do anything on securing lower priced fuel?

Comment

nw9flyn
                    i think anything is possible, so please give us an example,of wheat canola,lentils, peas,yeilds, expenses and returns and how you manage,to pay land costs inputs,wages,taxes and still get a return on investment ,thats amazeing.
                    unless your in a area that grew whopper crops in the drought, i dont know how you do it . Im sure im not the only one who would appreciate that kind of info

Comment

sawfly,

I booked peas @ $5.00 10%. I then booked 40% at 4.50. I was half sold before harvest.
                      I then sold some for 3.65 30%. I am now holding my last 20% until after seeding.
                      Pea bu avg last year was 42bu/ac. I was estimating a 32bu/ac during the summer(my worst in the last 7 yrs was 10bu my best was 60bu).
                      I am 80% sold on my LGL. My avg price so far has been 0.18/lb. I also sold my reds for 0.18/lb. reds last year avg 27bu/ac and LGL avg 21bu/ac.
                      To get into costs of production would be interesting, I would enjoy comparing and bouncing ideas on how to push profits higher with new ideas and not just complaining. I realize that you cannot control the weather, but if you can generate a profit when the weather is good it is a whole lot easier to farm when the weather is bad.The peas and lentils are 2 examples of setting a price and sticking to a marketing plan that I knew would return a profit. Every farmer had a chance at these prices but not every farmer acted on them.
                      It was not my intention to offend anyone in these forums or was it to sound arrogant, but only to give my point of view. I will be gone now for a few days so I will not be able to respond. Good luck in the upcoming year and watch the markets.

Comment

sorry it took so long for reply, computer broke then seeding.
                        last year we had 400 acres out of 4800 that made a profit. frost every month and drought . we had 24 qtrs with 4 to 5 inches growing season precip. wheat ran 20 -25 stub canola 18 -20 . lentils 300 lbs frozen sample. another 10 qtrs had inch or 2 more rain. decent stands but july frost killed seeds right in head. 40 -50 bushell stands yeilding 20 -25 of n0. 3 or feed.
                        the only profit came from smf and stubble canola in the wet area 38 and 30 bushell. had locked in some 8$ canola.
                        with break evens 140$ for canola and 110$ for wheat pretty tough to make money.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...