• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poo Poo the TUA in Argentina

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poo Poo the TUA in Argentina

April 4,2005
    Reuters
    Story by Hilary Burke
    BUENOS AIRES - Farm ministers from Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay -- the world's top soybean exporters behind the United States -- were cited as shunning on Friday a bid by US biotech pioneer Monsanto to charge royalties on genetically modified soybeans when they are harvested.
    A statement issued by Argentina after a special meeting of the Southern Agricultural Council in Cartagena, Colombia at the request of Argentine Agriculture Secretary Miguel Campos, was quoted as saying that royalties "should only be charged when farmers buy seeds."
    The story explains that the meeting arose from a protracted battle between Argentina and Monsanto over GMO soy royalties. Chile's Agriculture Minister Jaime Campos also attended, as did lower-level Uruguayan and Bolivian officials.
    Monsanto officials in Buenos Aires declined to comment. The St. Louis, Missouri-based company wants Argentine farmers to pay technology fees for its herbicide-resistant Roundup Ready soybeans.
    The statement did not refer specifically to soybeans, and could include other crops such as wheat.

Sounds like everything isn't so "hunky dory" over there either. Good for Monsanto on this one.

Comment

Canada's ag sector is often cited as having the lowest subsidy levels. Are we indirectly subsidizing SA agriculture when Monsanto can't collect TUAs in that part of the world? Are TUA'a in Canada higher because there is five times or more the production of RR crops in SA that doesn't contribute to covering the development costs. Maybe the TUA price wouldn't change for us, but I'd be more inclined to buy Monsanto stock and take a share of profits from the technology I use....if I had the money of course

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...